BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

03-05-2024, 10:22 AM   #1
jz
Rep
Drives: m8c coupe

about TPM malfunction

Today when I was driving I got a TPM malfunction warning in my M8c. I was little bit nervous as I was driving on the highway, but it disappear after 3-4 minutes. I just checked the tire pressure they are all good. Anyone has this issue before? Do I need to worry about it?\\THX

btw I installed my winter tire in October last year, but this is the first time warning appear.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 11:28 AM   #2
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Was it cold this morning? Sometimes you’ll get the error on cold mornings and then as you drive you continue to build up temperature/pressure, causing the TPMS warning light to disappear. Visually look at your tires to see if the one with the TPMS warning is flat/low on pressure.

Recently my wife was driving and she got a TPMS warning showing one tire was at 24 psi and then just a few seconds later it was 11 psi…she immediately pulled over and found an entire key sticking into the tire!
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      03-05-2024, 03:21 PM   #3
jz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
Was it cold this morning? Sometimes you’ll get the error on cold mornings and then as you drive you continue to build up temperature/pressure, causing the TPMS warning light to disappear. Visually look at your tires to see if the one with the TPMS warning is flat/low on pressure.

Recently my wife was driving and she got a TPMS warning showing one tire was at 24 psi and then just a few seconds later it was 11 psi…she immediately pulled over and found an entire key sticking into the tire!
it was about 5 degree in the morning. I just checked all four and they are 33.1 psi. I am assuming it is just an error like you mentioned?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 04:34 PM   #4
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz View Post
it was about 5 degree in the morning. I just checked all four and they are 33.1 psi. I am assuming it is just an error like you mentioned?
Yep. Temperature changed enough from when the tire pressures were first set to cause a TPMS error. One must have been slightly colder and it hit the threshold to throw a TPMS error. You’re good to go.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 08:01 PM   #5
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

Also, I believe that the TPM measures "relative" pressure and not primarily a pre-set pressure. That means that if your last pressure reset was at 33psi then it will look for a -4psi change (just an example number) and it will warn below 29 psi. But if you reset it last time when the tires had 35psi, then it will warn you below 31psi and not below 29psi.

That's why in moderate climates I need to add air when winter comes, and take out air when spring gets here. In your case in Canada: add air in early September and take air out in late June
      03-05-2024, 09:37 PM   #6
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe7565 View Post
Also, I believe that the TPM measures "relative" pressure and not primarily a pre-set pressure. That means that if your last pressure reset was at 33psi then it will look for a -4psi change (just an example number) and it will warn below 29 psi. But if you reset it last time when the tires had 35psi, then it will warn you below 31psi and not below 29psi.

That's why in moderate climates I need to add air when winter comes, and take out air when spring gets here. In your case in Canada: add air in early September and take air out in late June
Every time you perform a TPMS reset, the reference pressure for each tire is based on the pressure in each tire at the time of resetting. TPMS warning pressures are also redefined at this time. I believe it takes a while for the system to fully reset because it’s tracking the revs per mile as a backup to the TPMS pressure sensor. It takes a long time to reset if you’re driving 10-30 mph whereas the reset is completed fast when moving at 40-60 mph. If it was just pulling a reference pressure, the reset would be quick and its duration would be fixed, not influenced by how fast or slow you’re driving.
Appreciate 1
fe7565552.50
      03-11-2024, 04:13 AM   #7
jz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
Every time you perform a TPMS reset, the reference pressure for each tire is based on the pressure in each tire at the time of resetting. TPMS warning pressures are also redefined at this time. I believe it takes a while for the system to fully reset because it’s tracking the revs per mile as a backup to the TPMS pressure sensor. It takes a long time to reset if you’re driving 10-30 mph whereas the reset is completed fast when moving at 40-60 mph. If it was just pulling a reference pressure, the reset would be quick and its duration would be fixed, not influenced by how fast or slow you’re driving.
very sadly, the tire malfunction warning appear yesterday and today again, and it went back to normal after I reset and perform tire test. Just like you said, the sign seems only appear when I enter the highway(high speed), and it disappears after I reset and enter the highway. So I guess it might be something wrong with the sensor since my tire pressure are good everytime I reset.
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2024, 04:21 AM   #8
jz
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for explanation, but is it supposed to show the tire pressure instead of just tell you tpm malfunction?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-11-2024, 06:48 AM   #9
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz View Post
very sadly, the tire malfunction warning appear yesterday and today again, and it went back to normal after I reset and perform tire test. Just like you said, the sign seems only appear when I enter the highway(high speed), and it disappears after I reset and enter the highway. So I guess it might be something wrong with the sensor since my tire pressure are good everytime I reset.
You should see temperature and pressure at all four tire locations. Yes, you likely have a damaged sensor(s).
Appreciate 2
jz7.00
      03-11-2024, 04:01 PM   #10
DomMuc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

your dealer can read the sensors seperately with the RDC-Tool
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 07:43 PM   #11
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

If you have Bimmercode or similar, you can set the TPMS to display both the pressure and temperature next to each tire on the screen.
      03-13-2024, 01:28 PM   #12
co_440i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i

Quote:
If you have Bimmercode or similar, you can set the TPMS to display both the pressure and temperature next to each tire on the screen.
What module is this under? I assume it's an advanced function
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 01:35 PM   #13
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by co_440i View Post
If I remember correctly, it’s not under the advanced function. I think it’s under FEM.
      03-13-2024, 10:00 PM   #14
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by co_440i View Post
BimmerCode

“Headunit” HU_CIC control unit

• Pressure and temperature in tyre pressure monitor
Enable/disable the pressure and temperature in the tyre pressure monitor in the iDrive system. Please note that the car has to be equipped with the required sensors. This option affects the display only and it is not possible to completely deactivate the tire pressure monitoring in the car.
Values:
o Active
o Not active

Requirements:
o “Headunit” HU_CIC control unit
============================================

Head Unit NBT/EVO:

• Tire pressure control
The displayed values of the tire pressure control in the iDrive system. Please note that the car has to be equipped with the required sensors to make this work.
Values:
o Display pressure only
o Display temperature and pressure
o Not active

Requirements:
o “Headunit” HU_NBT or “Headunit” HU_NBT_EVO control unit
      03-13-2024, 10:19 PM   #15
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
My M2 has this display with no coding.
      03-20-2024, 02:39 AM   #16
mbferrari
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 330i Sedan

I got a low pressure warning and sometimes got it when it got really cold in garage. Now I get it every day. Inflated tires to 35psi in all 4 corners, RESET AND DROVE AROUND UNTIL 100%. Still every time at startup I get low pressure message -- Help please.
      03-20-2024, 03:36 AM   #17
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbferrari View Post
I got a low pressure warning and sometimes got it when it got really cold in garage. Now I get it every day. Inflated tires to 35psi in all 4 corners, RESET AND DROVE AROUND UNTIL 100%. Still every time at startup I get low pressure message — Help please.
Next morning before you start the car measure each tire manually with a tire pressure gauge. See if there’s any difference of more than 2 to 3 psi between anyone of them.
      03-20-2024, 11:57 AM   #18
mbferrari
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 330i Sedan

Quote:
Next morning before you start the car measure each tire manually with a tire pressure gauge. See if there’s any difference of more than 2 to 3 psi between anyone of them.
I will do that today, but that has not been the case previously.