BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

11-14-2021, 04:28 PM   #1
deni2316
Rep
Drives: bmw m6 gran coupe

New issue after speeding

So I’ve had a check engine light on since I bought the car. Figured it was o2 sensor from codes and the look of it.

Well replaced the o2 sensor yesterday and everything was perfectly fine and the car continued driving great.

Now today I found a cls63s on the highway and he wanted to have some fun. Of course I went at it with him right to about 160.

2 minutes later as I was driving normally again, the drivetrain malfunction pops on. I ran codes with my bootmod3 app and nothing. Cleared it and it just pops on after and acceleration. So essentially while driving I can clear the code and soon as I touch the throttle, drivetrain and cel pops on again.

Any ideas? Not sure what could have gone wrong from driving that fast. I drive back on the highway slowly as the drive train warning shuts down a lot of engine power so you don’t toast the engine.

Should I order a better bmw scanner rather than just the app? I was able to pull the o2 sensor codes with it prior with no issue. Going to go unplug the ground for an hour right now and see if that helps.

Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 02:21 AM   #2
MelbourneFinn
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 G30 M550i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [9.00]
Hmm, didn't come to think that there might actually be a reason (like something wrong), not only an annoying warning light that goes away with a couple of clicks?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 07:36 AM   #3
Kick 6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

Did you beat him?
Appreciate 2
MNhv92.00
JDMSteven474.50
      11-15-2021, 08:56 AM   #4
HeyKC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 CP

Plugs & coils...
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 12:17 PM   #5
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyKC View Post
Plugs & coils...
+1 or maybe the MAF's
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 12:42 PM   #6
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Plugs & coils...
+1
      11-15-2021, 01:33 PM   #7
deni2316
Rep

Quote:
Plugs & coils...
Got it thank you I’ll give those a look. Just wish I could get a damn code. Ordered a new code reader off Amazon to give it a go.

After restoring to stock tune, check engine is off but car def feels and sounds off still as well as a noise from the front when idling.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 01:49 PM   #8
Kick 6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by deni2316 View Post
Got it thank you I’ll give those a look. Just wish I could get a damn code. Ordered a new code reader off Amazon to give it a go.

After restoring to stock tune, check engine is off but car def feels and sounds off still as well as a noise from the front when idling.
But did you win the race?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 02:09 PM   #9
deni2316
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kick 6 View Post
But did you win the race?
Yea lol he was stock considering it was dealer plates on the car.
Appreciate 1
HeyKC101.50
      11-16-2021, 05:46 AM   #10
deni2316
Rep

So now check engine light won’t turn back on after going to stock. New reader not giving me anything either. Any way to force the code on?

It’s definitely either plugs or coils based on symptoms
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 08:03 AM   #11
HeyKC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by deni2316 View Post
So now check engine light won’t turn back on after going to stock. New reader not giving me anything either. Any way to force the code on?

It’s definitely either plugs or coils based on symptoms
If you have a fancy enough scanner you can look up stored codes. If you plan to run any tune I would just go ahead and order new plugs(NGK 97506) and gap them to .020.

Rockauto seems to have the best prices.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 10:42 AM   #12
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
I got my plugs from https://burgertuning.com/ They sell a kit with a thin walled socket that you'll wish you had when you get things apart and figure out that your sockets don't fit too well in there. They also have a nice gapping tool if you plan on running tunes you will likely need to re-gap the plugs. It very well could be that the prev owner had tuned the car and gapped the plugs for the increased boost.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 12:12 PM   #13
deni2316
Rep

For the ignition coils, any you guys particularly recommend?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 01:01 PM   #14
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
Stick with the OEM and get them from fcpeuro for the lifetime warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 12:07 PM   #15
deni2316
Rep

Finally got a code, generic misfire on cylinder 2.

Nonetheless spark plugs came in today and coils are in Monday. Replacing all 8 and will update then
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2021, 07:01 PM   #16
deni2316
Rep

So all 8 replaced, no check engine, no shaking, 1 of the plugs was completely bad so that solved that.

However after putting everything back, I got a P0174 system too lean bank 2 code. No check engine light.

On first run did still feel a bit underpowered but I’ll give it a go on the highway shortly and see. Not sure how this could be popping on now soon as the car is turned on.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 09:38 PM   #17
deni2316
Rep

So after highway driving for about an hour now.

Got multiple misfire codes and misfire on cylinder 1 and 4 as opposed to cylinder 2.

New plugs are step 2 colder ngk and ignition coils are Delphine.

Now I’m thinking either the ignition coils I bought are bad or is it possible it’s the battery? Do the step 2 ones require more voltage? I scanned the voltage and it’s around 12.4 off and 13.9 running which is on the low end from what I understand
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 10:19 PM   #18
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
Colder plugs are generally used when tuning adding boost, playing with A/F etc. Spark plugs are highly conductive by design so there is little to no relationship to the amount of electricity needed for firing. I would make sure that all your grounds are clean and tight and that connectors don't have any corrosion in them. The article below is a very informative guide on plugs in general but will explain a lot about coder/hotter use cases. With the P0174 you may be getting unmetered air in after the MAF's or your MAF's may be dirty or bad. I'd check for cracks in the intake plenum and make sure everything is sealed properly. If you haven't replaced the MAF's consider buying new ones or try some MAF cleaner. If this thing had a CAI there is good chance they got dirtied with oil from the air filter.

https://ngksparkplugs.com/en/resourc...rk-plug-basics
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 09:38 AM   #19
deni2316
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
Colder plugs are generally used when tuning adding boost, playing with A/F etc. Spark plugs are highly conductive by design so there is little to no relationship to the amount of electricity needed for firing. I would make sure that all your grounds are clean and tight and that connectors don't have any corrosion in them. The article below is a very informative guide on plugs in general but will explain a lot about coder/hotter use cases. With the P0174 you may be getting unmetered air in after the MAF's or your MAF's may be dirty or bad. I'd check for cracks in the intake plenum and make sure everything is sealed properly. If you haven't replaced the MAF's consider buying new ones or try some MAF cleaner. If this thing had a CAI there is good chance they got dirtied with oil from the air filter.

https://ngksparkplugs.com/en/resourc...rk-plug-basics

Cleaning/replacing MAFs will be next step. Just a weird occurrence to get all these codes now after replacing plugs and coils that weren’t on before. And all this only started after the original speeding and blown plugs.

To think now all of the sudden it’s maf or something more that wasn’t on before just strikes me as odd. My dad is coming back up here tomorrow to take a look at everything again so I’ll keep this updated.

He did check for leaks yesterday after replacing everything and there were none to be detected on the engine bay.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 10:06 AM   #20
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
You need 4 things to make fire; oxygen, fuel, heat and the chemical reaction. Improperly measure or take away any one of those and you don't have fire or ya get a fire that is out of control.

Although it seems weird/unusual to have this condition present itself; keep in mind that you have also changed the conditions which the air/fuel burns. Where before a fouled plug may not have burned all the fuel and appeared richer to the sensors, now you have clean plugs and new coils that will make light work of this now.

If it isn't the MAF's and you are 100% sure the 02 sensors are good then your next stop may be to have a compression test done o the engine or just go ahead and have the injectors replaced. If one or more is not spraying properly you stand the chance of doing significant damage to the engine so I'd try to refrain from really getting into the throttle until you have this sorted.

Also, check down around the throttle bodies. If the PO had charge coolers or did cooling system work there is a good chance the seals around the throttle body might be not be properly secured.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 10:18 AM   #21
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
Have this this guide https://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803495 and the websites newtis.info and https://realoem.com/ handy as you are troubleshooting. If you don't have a tool that you can scan and data log to or a windows computer with ISTA; I'd suggest taking the car to a reputable bmw/euro indy repair shop to pay for the diag.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 12:48 PM   #22
deni2316
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
Have this this guide https://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803495 and the websites newtis.info and https://realoem.com/ handy as you are troubleshooting. If you don't have a tool that you can scan and data log to or a windows computer with ISTA; I'd suggest taking the car to a reputable bmw/euro indy repair shop to pay for the diag.
I bought the newest AUTOPHIX tool for bmw so it shows everything across all modules

Any idea why when I switch to stock maps with bom3 and relocate dme, I don’t get any codes at all but car is still feeling underpowered/lack of throttle response
Appreciate 0