BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-21-2015, 10:22 PM   #1
kris1858
First Lieutenant
kris1858's Avatar
United_States
146
Rep
338
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW M6
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Alexandria, VA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 BMW M6  [0.00]
Thumbs down Drivetrain Malfunction

So the dreaded Drivetrain Malfunction popped up on the i-drive when I hit the start button (vehicle wasn't started).
Hopefully this is a software glitch...

Anyone run into this with issue their M6?

Going to visit the dealer on Friday.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Full Vorsteiner Aero Kit, ADV5.0 M.V2 CS rims, KW HAS kit, M Performance Exhaust w/ CF tips, CF Mirror Caps, CF Gear Selector Lever, CF Side Marker Gills, CF Front Grill, Dinan CF Intake, AFE CF Engine Cover, Stage II Dinan Tune, Exhaustmeister, Internal Escort 9500ci + Laser Shifters, Photosync window tint 65% windshield 35% windows, Full PPF xpel ultimate wrap, RK Autowerks noncatted DPs, reflector delete, various coding

Last edited by kris1858; 07-22-2015 at 12:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 11:09 PM   #2
DrivetrainMalfunction650i
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: 2012 BMW 650i
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Angry Drivetrain Malfunction 650i

My 2012 BMW 650i with 36,000 miles has been at the dealer for more than 3 weeks for the dreaded "Drivetrain Malfunction" (DTM). They are currently replacing the catalytic converter.

The first time we took it in they replaced the "valve seals" and a bunch of other parts but the DTM appeared on the screen again and I took it back to the dealer immediately. After 2 weeks at the dealership my service adviser (SA) told me it was ready but they would not let us pick it up since it failed the 30 mile drive test on a full tank. So here I am waiting for my car.

The first time the DTM appeared was when my husband was accelerating on an on ramp onto the freeway. The car was sluggish and the engine was shaking. He turned it off and when we restarted the car half an hour later the DTM disappeared. Reappeared again after driving on the street while accelerating. The second time it happened I made sure I brought it to my BMW dealership while the car was visibly shaking so my SA could see it.

I was thinking of trading it in for a 2015 but decided not to after reading your post.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 12:00 AM   #3
M6-Coupe
Major General
M6-Coupe's Avatar
805
Rep
5,865
Posts

Drives: F92 M8
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bay area

iTrader: (0)

There are many possibilities...
Can be as simple as a glitch or as complicated as HPFP.
I got this massage 3 years ago (on my 650i) and it ended up to the replacement of injectors. There are many threads in M5post forum and most likely people who modify their car, get this massage more than others...
this is one of them:

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1075579
__________________
Current : 2020 F92 Black Sapphire M8 - ZF8
Gone : 2018 F80 Mineral Gray M3 - 6MT
Gone : 2016 F82 Austin Yellow M4 - 6MT
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2015, 10:30 AM   #4
m34SPD
Picture me rollin'
m34SPD's Avatar
United_States
292
Rep
1,130
Posts

Drives: e36 m3, e39 m5, f80 m3 CS
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: At the gas station

iTrader: (0)

Wow that sucks! You just got the car too. Have you been turning it on and off a lot and not letting the car warm up?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 01:47 PM   #5
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
evanevery's Avatar
962
Rep
1,656
Posts

Drives: i8 Roadster, M4, Tesla MX
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wisconsin

iTrader: (0)

Had a similar issue in my M6. Just filled up the car for a drive to Chicago. Got the "Drivetrain Malfunction" warning just after pulling out of the gas station. Car went into a low power limp mode. Drove directly to the dealer (5 miles) instead of departing on my road trip. Pulled into the service bay still running in limp mode. (I didn't want to take the chance of trying a restart until I got to the dealer). Shut the car off and restarted it and everything appeared to be back to normal. Dealer spent an hour or so going over the car. Got the "Bad Gas" disclaimer. Problem never re-appeared (2 yrs). Didn't even drain/refill the tank.

One note I did make. The car was effectively in storage for a month or so before I pulled it out of a heated garage and into the relatively cold Wisconsin weather. Then went right to the gas station to fill up. Not sure if the storage/temps had anything to do with it (condensation, etc).
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 08:02 PM   #6
kris1858
First Lieutenant
kris1858's Avatar
United_States
146
Rep
338
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW M6
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Alexandria, VA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 BMW M6  [0.00]
Exclamation Fault codes found...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMG640 View Post
Wow that sucks! You just got the car too. Have you been turning it on and off a lot and not letting the car warm up?
It does! As to your question, no and I doubt it not completely warming up brought on the issue.
Luckily I am supposed to get the car coded tomorrow, so the tech at PSI connected his laptop to the car to determine the error codes and here is what he found:

Code: 121201 Charging pressure sensor 1, plausibility, after run: Pressure to high (DME 1)

Code: 102A53 Hot film air mass meter 2, correction signal, operating range: Period duration too low (DME 2)

I e-mailed the Dinan rep that installed the stage 2 Dinan tune. Hopefully he will have some answers to what these codes mean.

Does anyone on this forum know what they mean??
__________________
Full Vorsteiner Aero Kit, ADV5.0 M.V2 CS rims, KW HAS kit, M Performance Exhaust w/ CF tips, CF Mirror Caps, CF Gear Selector Lever, CF Side Marker Gills, CF Front Grill, Dinan CF Intake, AFE CF Engine Cover, Stage II Dinan Tune, Exhaustmeister, Internal Escort 9500ci + Laser Shifters, Photosync window tint 65% windshield 35% windows, Full PPF xpel ultimate wrap, RK Autowerks noncatted DPs, reflector delete, various coding
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 08:12 PM   #7
A Frankfurt
Banned
United_States
244
Rep
611
Posts

Drives: German
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Murrieta CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris1858 View Post
It does! As to your question, no and I doubt it not completely warming up brought on the issue.
Luckily I am supposed to get the car coded tomorrow, so the tech at PSI connected his laptop to the car to determine the error codes and here is what he found:

Code: 121201 Charging pressure sensor 1, plausibility, after run: Pressure to high (DME 1)

Code: 102A53 Hot film air mass meter 2, correction signal, operating range: Period duration too low (DME 2)

I e-mailed the Dinan rep that installed the stage 2 Dinan tune. Hopefully he will have some answers to what these codes mean.

Does anyone on this forum know what they mean??

How many miles have you had the Dinantronics installed for ?
Installed at BMW dealer or independent shop ?
Sent you a PM also, I can be of assistance to you

Last edited by A Frankfurt; 07-22-2015 at 08:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2015, 08:55 PM   #8
bigbrian
riding on rails
bigbrian's Avatar
United_States
113
Rep
655
Posts

Drives: 2o13 m6 f13
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: wichita kansas

iTrader: (0)

My car did this 4-5 times after I installed BMS (running on +3). Each time I was able to reset the car (on/off) and it fixed the problem. I have not had the issue for a while now so <shrug>.

Brian
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2015, 07:31 AM   #9
kris1858
First Lieutenant
kris1858's Avatar
United_States
146
Rep
338
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW M6
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Alexandria, VA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autohaus Frankfurt View Post
How many miles have you had the Dinantronics installed for ?
Installed at BMW dealer or independent shop ?
Sent you a PM also, I can be of assistance to you
It was installed a week before break-in service. It has been in for 600 miles.
Was installed by Will Reilly (and his team) at:
Motorsports Sales/Service, Reeves Import Motorcars, Inc.
11333 N. Florida Ave.
Tampa, Florida 33612
P 813.375.3520
C 352.208.1597
F 813.931.3858

I'll give you a call sometime today!
__________________
Full Vorsteiner Aero Kit, ADV5.0 M.V2 CS rims, KW HAS kit, M Performance Exhaust w/ CF tips, CF Mirror Caps, CF Gear Selector Lever, CF Side Marker Gills, CF Front Grill, Dinan CF Intake, AFE CF Engine Cover, Stage II Dinan Tune, Exhaustmeister, Internal Escort 9500ci + Laser Shifters, Photosync window tint 65% windshield 35% windows, Full PPF xpel ultimate wrap, RK Autowerks noncatted DPs, reflector delete, various coding
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 07:47 AM   #10
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
Mr.SugarSkulls's Avatar
No_Country
2837
Rep
3,251
Posts

Drives: BMW i8
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Long Beach, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [5.00]
Is this more common when a tune is installed?

Don't give me something to worry about!! sorry to read this happened so soon though!
__________________
I'm always sunny, hunny.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 11:55 AM   #11
A Frankfurt
Banned
United_States
244
Rep
611
Posts

Drives: German
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Murrieta CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris1858 View Post
It was installed a week before break-in service. It has been in for 600 miles.
Was installed by Will Reilly (and his team) at:
Motorsports Sales/Service, Reeves Import Motorcars, Inc.
11333 N. Florida Ave.
Tampa, Florida 33612
P 813.375.3520
C 352.208.1597
F 813.931.3858

I'll give you a call sometime today!

Good speaking with you this morning.
Hope I was of help with some information.
Contact me anytime if you need some insight or assistance

Last edited by A Frankfurt; 07-23-2015 at 12:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 12:17 PM   #12
kris1858
First Lieutenant
kris1858's Avatar
United_States
146
Rep
338
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW M6
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Alexandria, VA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autohaus Frankfurt View Post
Good speaking with you this morning.
Hope I was of help with some information.
Contact me anytime if you need some insight or assistance
Thanks for all the info!
The shop in Tampa that installed the Dinan Stage 2 kit got in touch with Dinan and was told that the car has to come in for assessment.
Luckily the shop has harnesses in stock if they need to replace it.
Also, they did use the solution spray on the Dinan and stock ECU connectors with a disconnected battery.

At least i have a reason to go to Tampa to show off my car at the Reeves Motorsports Car Show/ Cars and Coffee!! lol
__________________
Full Vorsteiner Aero Kit, ADV5.0 M.V2 CS rims, KW HAS kit, M Performance Exhaust w/ CF tips, CF Mirror Caps, CF Gear Selector Lever, CF Side Marker Gills, CF Front Grill, Dinan CF Intake, AFE CF Engine Cover, Stage II Dinan Tune, Exhaustmeister, Internal Escort 9500ci + Laser Shifters, Photosync window tint 65% windshield 35% windows, Full PPF xpel ultimate wrap, RK Autowerks noncatted DPs, reflector delete, various coding
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2015, 12:23 PM   #13
kris1858
First Lieutenant
kris1858's Avatar
United_States
146
Rep
338
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW M6
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Alexandria, VA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SugarSkulls View Post
Is this more common when a tune is installed?

Don't give me something to worry about!! sorry to read this happened so soon though!
It is a crap shoot as to if you can get a tune with no issues. Luckily with a Dinan tune you have alot of R&D + Warranty to back you up!


In my mind stuff happens for a reason, you just have to figure out why.
Better sooner than later!
__________________
Full Vorsteiner Aero Kit, ADV5.0 M.V2 CS rims, KW HAS kit, M Performance Exhaust w/ CF tips, CF Mirror Caps, CF Gear Selector Lever, CF Side Marker Gills, CF Front Grill, Dinan CF Intake, AFE CF Engine Cover, Stage II Dinan Tune, Exhaustmeister, Internal Escort 9500ci + Laser Shifters, Photosync window tint 65% windshield 35% windows, Full PPF xpel ultimate wrap, RK Autowerks noncatted DPs, reflector delete, various coding
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 01:12 PM   #14
A Frankfurt
Banned
United_States
244
Rep
611
Posts

Drives: German
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Murrieta CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris1858 View Post
Thanks for all the info!
The shop in Tampa that installed the Dinan Stage 2 kit got in touch with Dinan and was told that the car has to come in for assessment.
Luckily the shop has harnesses in stock if they need to replace it.
Also, they did use the solution spray on the Dinan and stock ECU connectors with a disconnected battery.

At least i have a reason to go to Tampa to show off my car at the Reeves Motorsports Car Show/ Cars and Coffee!! lol
Good to know they have some parts to get your issue resolved.
And get to check out a good car meet !
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 11:53 AM   #15
kris1858
First Lieutenant
kris1858's Avatar
United_States
146
Rep
338
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW M6
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Alexandria, VA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 BMW M6  [0.00]
Thumbs up Dinan Fault Code FIX!! No more drivetrain malfunction!

So after a day of the car with the Dinan Engineer, they found that there were some errors in installation of the Dinan Cold Air Intake which caused the fault codes.
To remedy the situation, Dinan fixed the CA intake installation issues, installed a software revision, added baffles, moved grounding wires and cycled the system 13 times through diagnostic checks to ensure no more fault codes occured.

Now it's Back to Beast Mode!!!
__________________
Full Vorsteiner Aero Kit, ADV5.0 M.V2 CS rims, KW HAS kit, M Performance Exhaust w/ CF tips, CF Mirror Caps, CF Gear Selector Lever, CF Side Marker Gills, CF Front Grill, Dinan CF Intake, AFE CF Engine Cover, Stage II Dinan Tune, Exhaustmeister, Internal Escort 9500ci + Laser Shifters, Photosync window tint 65% windshield 35% windows, Full PPF xpel ultimate wrap, RK Autowerks noncatted DPs, reflector delete, various coding
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2015, 03:17 PM   #16
A Frankfurt
Banned
United_States
244
Rep
611
Posts

Drives: German
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Murrieta CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris1858 View Post
So after a day of the car with the Dinan Engineer, they found that there were some errors in installation of the Dinan Cold Air Intake which caused the fault codes.
To remedy the situation, Dinan fixed the CA intake installation issues, installed a software revision, added baffles, moved grounding wires and cycled the system 13 times through diagnostic checks to ensure no more fault codes occured.

Now it's Back to Beast Mode!!!
Awesome ! Glad that your issues were resolved and Dinan took care of any and all issues.
Dinan does have a great technical department and always have come thru
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2015, 06:56 PM   #17
kris1858
First Lieutenant
kris1858's Avatar
United_States
146
Rep
338
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW M6
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Alexandria, VA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autohaus Frankfurt View Post
Awesome ! Glad that your issues were resolved and Dinan took care of any and all issues.
Dinan does have a great technical department and always have come thru
Indeed! Thank goodness for the Dinan warranty!
__________________
Full Vorsteiner Aero Kit, ADV5.0 M.V2 CS rims, KW HAS kit, M Performance Exhaust w/ CF tips, CF Mirror Caps, CF Gear Selector Lever, CF Side Marker Gills, CF Front Grill, Dinan CF Intake, AFE CF Engine Cover, Stage II Dinan Tune, Exhaustmeister, Internal Escort 9500ci + Laser Shifters, Photosync window tint 65% windshield 35% windows, Full PPF xpel ultimate wrap, RK Autowerks noncatted DPs, reflector delete, various coding
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2016, 08:45 AM   #18
sbassi
Private First Class
sbassi's Avatar
25
Rep
123
Posts

Drives: 2013 M5 F10
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Livingston CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris1858 View Post
So after a day of the car with the Dinan Engineer, they found that there were some errors in installation of the Dinan Cold Air Intake which caused the fault codes.
To remedy the situation, Dinan fixed the CA intake installation issues, installed a software revision, added baffles, moved grounding wires and cycled the system 13 times through diagnostic checks to ensure no more fault codes occured.

Now it's Back to Beast Mode!!!
That were the install issues that you experienced with the CAI?
I having the same issues with my F10 M5, I continuously get the drivetrain malfunction and the CEL. I have the dinan CAI installed and the Dinan stage 2 tune.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 06:59 AM   #19
kris1858
First Lieutenant
kris1858's Avatar
United_States
146
Rep
338
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW M6
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Alexandria, VA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbassi View Post
That were the install issues that you experienced with the CAI?
I having the same issues with my F10 M5, I continuously get the drivetrain malfunction and the CEL. I have the dinan CAI installed and the Dinan stage 2 tune.

Thanks
I have had no issues since the CAI was installed CORRECTLY.
__________________
Full Vorsteiner Aero Kit, ADV5.0 M.V2 CS rims, KW HAS kit, M Performance Exhaust w/ CF tips, CF Mirror Caps, CF Gear Selector Lever, CF Side Marker Gills, CF Front Grill, Dinan CF Intake, AFE CF Engine Cover, Stage II Dinan Tune, Exhaustmeister, Internal Escort 9500ci + Laser Shifters, Photosync window tint 65% windshield 35% windows, Full PPF xpel ultimate wrap, RK Autowerks noncatted DPs, reflector delete, various coding
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 11:34 AM   #20
sbassi
Private First Class
sbassi's Avatar
25
Rep
123
Posts

Drives: 2013 M5 F10
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Livingston CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbassi View Post
That were the install issues that you experienced with the CAI?
I having the same issues with my F10 M5, I continuously get the drivetrain malfunction and the CEL. I have the dinan CAI installed and the Dinan stage 2 tune.

Thanks
I have had no issues since the CAI was installed CORRECTLY.
What was the install Issue?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 09:24 PM   #21
kris1858
First Lieutenant
kris1858's Avatar
United_States
146
Rep
338
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW M6
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Alexandria, VA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbassi View Post
What was the install Issue?
The installer put some of the parts on backwards so it was not sealing correctly, thus the drivetrain faults.
BLUF, what they should have done is called Dinan to ensure correct installation.
__________________
Full Vorsteiner Aero Kit, ADV5.0 M.V2 CS rims, KW HAS kit, M Performance Exhaust w/ CF tips, CF Mirror Caps, CF Gear Selector Lever, CF Side Marker Gills, CF Front Grill, Dinan CF Intake, AFE CF Engine Cover, Stage II Dinan Tune, Exhaustmeister, Internal Escort 9500ci + Laser Shifters, Photosync window tint 65% windshield 35% windows, Full PPF xpel ultimate wrap, RK Autowerks noncatted DPs, reflector delete, various coding
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 09:58 PM   #22
sbassi
Private First Class
sbassi's Avatar
25
Rep
123
Posts

Drives: 2013 M5 F10
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Livingston CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbassi View Post
What was the install Issue?
The installer put some of the parts on backwards so it was not sealing correctly, thus the drivetrain faults.
BLUF, what they should have done is called Dinan to ensure correct installation.
I see. Thanks hopefully mine gets panned out. I just sent in the module to have dinan take a look at it.

I haven't had CEL with just the intakes for two days so I am thinking its the module or he harness related to the stage 2 tune.
Appreciate 1
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02 AM.




6post.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST