BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

01-15-2019, 11:10 PM   #1
iMAD.M6
iMAD HN
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 Gran Coupe F06 2014

Meth Kit on M6. Yes or No and why ?

Can anyone (With experience) advise me with Meth ?
1) Is it Safe ?
2) Does it require Re-tune after installation
3) Can I run it 24/7
4) Several cases of catching fire/blowing engines have been observed. whats the main reason.
5) Does it give GAINS or it just cools down and gives you back the lost power.
6) Can you share graphs or timings before/after meth

I got F06 M6 Gran Coupe 2014 with the following Mods:
VRSF Catless DP
M Perofrmance By Akra Exhaust
ESS tune
Eventuri / No Scoops

Output:
625-645whp uncorrected on Dynojet
850-898Nm uncorrected on Dynojet
6.8 Seconds 100-200km/h on Dragy
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 11:13 AM   #2
mastatikle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

It cools down the intake charge significantly and makes it more consistent. Boost can also be turned up a bit and so can the timing since there is less chance of detenation with the lower iat charge. Usually people that are on meth are the ones that are going all the way to the stock block limits. 720whp and up. Hell there’s an x6M with over 900whp done recently on the stock block.

I personally don’t think it’s worth the headache unless you’re going all out with it. I say that because to do it the right way, you have to place the meth injection nozzles in the most effective location which in 100% of cases is after the a2w Intercooler. In ~80% of installs on this s63tu platform everyone puts them in the charge pipes before the Intercoolers because it’s much much easier and significantly cheaper. Basically that method cools the charges air and then heats it back up as it goes through the a2w intercooler.. the correct way would be to upgrade and swap out the stock a2w intercoolers and install the aftermarket ones where they have meth jets AFTER the cooler core. Much more effective, the coldest air goes right into the engine... but that’s a $3000 piece alone compared to a $300 meth kit, you see where I’m going?
Now in regards to the fires, I don’t know the specific cause. I just know that methanol if sprayed into an intercooler can pool up in the core and deteriorate the metal. Idk if that pooled meth/water mix gets hot enough to ignite.

Yes it can be safe if installed correctly, you MUST keep an eye on your meth/water tank level though if on it 24/7 with custom tune. For example, If you run dry or low and don’t have any around and your car is tuned to it (more boost and more advanced timing) then chances are you’ll see problems with detonation, that’s simple math..

If you have any other questions PM me, I don’t want to make this comment too long. But basically to do it right, expect ~$4k in parts (intercoolers), plus all the labor and time to tune it correctly. A good ~$6k to do it correctly. See why it’s usually only the people going all out doing it this way? sure you can get a cheap $400 meth kit that might get you 20-50hp but you get what you pay for in this scenario.
Appreciate 0