BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

View Poll Results: M3 E92 or M6 E63
BMW M3 E92 3 37.50%
BMW M6 E63 5 62.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

06-19-2018, 01:23 PM   #1
iwant335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 550i

E92 M3 vs E63 M6

It will be a second car in the garage, the prices are similar, I like the looks of the M6 better but M3 could be less problematic. Both are N/A which is why I want one of these. I understand the maintenance cost and I can afford it but the question is, is the difference between maintaining these twp are huge or comparable. Keep in mind this car will stay with me for good and I am not going to sell it. I want to take care of it and keep it in the family.

I want to know your opinion. Which one should I go with and why?
Attached Images

06-19-2018, 02:32 PM   #2
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

I use to own the E9X M3. I owned it for 10 years. I am very familiar with both the E9x, E6X, S65 and S85 platforms.

To answer your question, the maintenance cost/complexity and reliability differences between these two cars are minimal. It should not be a consideration in your decision. Generally, if you DIY, virtually all the parts are in the same location and often are the same parts between the two cars. The S85's major difference is the firing order due to the extra 2 cylinders, slightly difference ECU hardware/software and the wet-sump system.

Obviously, E63 unique parts (suspension, interior, etc) are taken into account of, but I want to say, even the EDC shocks and wiring is the same (or substantially similar) in the E63.

With either cars, your major headache will be the rod bearing wear. IMO, buy a car with the service performed, or be prepared to dump $3k into doing the work. Trust me, you will want to do the work considering these cars are now in the 60k mile range.

The E63's SMG system is of a concern. I don't know enough of the issues, though many SMG owners shrugs it off as changing the clutch packs is so routine these days by performance shops. IMO, I would look for a 6-speed anyways in either cars.

Lastly, for the E9X, you should aim for at least a 2009 (LCI, CIC), and I would aim for a ZCP model (for resale purposes).
For the E63, I would buy a newest model possible. I think only the 2009-2010's came with CIC idrive.

Good luck! I had always said, one day, I will come back to the E63 M6. You just cannot say no to that V10 sound!