BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

05-29-2018, 10:22 AM   #1
rambino
M Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 / X6M

ESS Tune Review for F13 M6 /F10 M5

I posted about my ESS tune experience on the X6M board. They felt very similar so I figured id say the same for how their tune felt on my F13 M6.. I have downpipes and mufflers and intake filters.

1stly, their software engineer did an incredible job..

Heres my impressions..

- They conservatively tune within the limits of the transmission and engine and I believe take more precautions than anyone else working with the engines safety system settings.

- Personality: There is a certain finesse and natural Oem style of delivery in its performance.. the tunes feel as if they came that way from the factory..incredibly powerful yet manageable and predictable.

- The style of the tune is consistent between cars and its a very big and familiar welcome home..

- Power is monstrous and I started using the paddles again its so much more fun now.. the turbos wake up enough that you can play with the torque..

- ESS has some magical smoothing to the engine and exhaust. The power is strong yet not stressful and the exhaust has a nice pur now instead of random burble. It screams on throttle and snarls with pops and aggression when you let off the gas. The turbos spool much sooner to pedal input and there is more modulation to the power.

Im really happy overall with this tune.. The M6 was wicked fast and did burnouts thru 3 gears easily.. It reminded me of watching Toyta Supra videos back in the day just laying down crushing power, and squatting its fat ass. Now my car was doing that.

I also had no issues in 100+ plus temps nor one error code ever.. the car never over stressed itself or felt over boosted..

There are many good tuners out there, and ESS is for sure a guarantee to be one of them.

Cheers

Last edited by rambino; 05-29-2018 at 10:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 01:18 PM   #2
sw1183
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M6

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambino View Post
I posted about my ESS tune experience on the X6M board. They felt very similar so I figured id say the same for how their tune felt on my F13 M6.. I have downpipes and mufflers and intake filters.

1stly, their software engineer did an incredible job..

Heres my impressions..

- They conservatively tune within the limits of the transmission and engine and I believe take more precautions than anyone else working with the engines safety system settings.

- Personality: There is a certain finesse and natural Oem style of delivery in its performance.. the tunes feel as if they came that way from the factory..incredibly powerful yet manageable and predictable.

- The style of the tune is consistent between cars and its a very big and familiar welcome home..

- Power is monstrous and I started using the paddles again its so much more fun now.. the turbos wake up enough that you can play with the torque..

- ESS has some magical smoothing to the engine and exhaust. The power is strong yet not stressful and the exhaust has a nice pur now instead of random burble. It screams on throttle and snarls with pops and aggression when you let off the gas. The turbos spool much sooner to pedal input and there is more modulation to the power.

Im really happy overall with this tune.. The M6 was wicked fast and did burnouts thru 3 gears easily.. It reminded me of watching Toyta Supra videos back in the day just laying down crushing power, and squatting its fat ass. Now my car was doing that.

I also had no issues in 100+ plus temps nor one error code ever.. the car never over stressed itself or felt over boosted..

There are many good tuners out there, and ESS is for sure a guarantee to be one of them.

Cheers
Congrats on the tune. What are your 60-130 times? Need some data points!

HCP e85 tune, VRSF DP, BMW CAI
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 07:20 PM   #3
rambino
M Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 / X6M

Thanks, also I have no affilations to ESS, this is just purely a detailed review which I took the extra time to write because of how happy I am and the consistency of the tune between M cars..

I didnt have a chance to do 60+ times but on I dynoed 641 hp and 623 torque at the wheels on 91 octane in 100 degrees cali weather.. which is pretty damn good..
      06-06-2018, 09:47 PM   #4
aann
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f13 M6 2016

If you have Vbox or any gps data logger , show us your 62-124 times and the 100-200 km/h times .
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2018, 08:46 AM   #5
castlesteve
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Coupe, 2017 X5M

Thanks! I'm looking to go the same route. So hard to choose and this is on my top 3 vendors
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 01:53 AM   #6
TomM6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F12 M6 individual

Thanks. Is this ESS tune just an ECU software update or does it involve additional hardware/firmware?
Appreciate 0