BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      09-19-2021, 08:11 PM   #1
Madnking
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i coupes

Garage List
2016 m6 grey smoke

I have a 2016 m6 48k miles. Catless, stage 2 tune, and project gamma intakes. Runs and drives great no codes. The other day when i was casually accelerating I look in my mirror and saw a grey puff of smoke a few feet behind my car. To day sitting at a stop sign I waited a few seconds and normally accelerated watched in my mirror and saw a puff of grey smoke coming from from car. I tried to replicate it by stopping and starting but I couldn't. The car has no smoke on cold startup or idling. Im leaning towards turbo seal based on what I read online. I am assuming I would have more smoke on startup and idling if this were valve stem seals. Any suggestions thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 10:26 PM   #2
arucano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Grand Coupe CP

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
That can be a sign of leaking valve stem seals or Crank Case ventilation valve.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 03:56 PM   #3
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madnking View Post
I have a 2016 m6 48k miles. Catless, stage 2 tune, and project gamma intakes. Runs and drives great no codes. The other day when i was casually accelerating I look in my mirror and saw a grey puff of smoke a few feet behind my car. To day sitting at a stop sign I waited a few seconds and normally accelerated watched in my mirror and saw a puff of grey smoke coming from from car. I tried to replicate it by stopping and starting but I couldn't. The car has no smoke on cold startup or idling. Im leaning towards turbo seal based on what I read online. I am assuming I would have more smoke on startup and idling if this were valve stem seals. Any suggestions thanks
Hi,Do yourself a favor,go to a shop and have them do a compression test done on all cylinders ,I doubt its the valve guide seals on such low mileage and leaky oil in the turbos are not common on these engines, you might have a broken piston ring land,I just went through the same scenario and its the same symptoms, my car got much worse with smoke overtime then I had to get rebuilt
2015 M6 Gran Coupe> DME stage 3 tune back end flash>JB4 with Methanol control>Fabworx Catless downpipes>Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust 102mm GB tips>Built motor with Forged Cp Carillo Rods and Pistons > SSP spec X clutch > Stage 1 Pure Turbos>PG front mount intakes>PG charge coolers>Vorsteiner front and rear Carbon diffuser>Auto Tecknic Carbon shift paddles>3D Design aluminum pedals
Appreciate 0