BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

09-08-2021, 09:39 AM   #1
pokrovsky
Rep
Drives: 2014 F06 M6 6 Speed

New F06 M owner, silly question

I'm a new owner of a 2014 M6GC 6MT.
Coming from E90 335i M-Sport 6MT and another E90 before that, had an E70 diesel (wife's, the only automatic BMW I've ever owned) in the quiver too for about 5 years and bunch of other BMWs in the past (E30s, etc).
The car is phenomenal and I love absolutely everything about it, it is even better that I ever imagined. I've been lurking and looking for the right example for a while and was able to snag a great specimen with all the options available in 2014 except for Bang&Olufsen and Competition Package. Carbon ceramic brakes are absolutely amazing so as all other options and features. Frozen Grey Metallic is stunning and eye catching in all kinds of lighting conditions.

Anyway, thanks for listening to the introduction, here is the silly question:
- has anybody been able to figure out the best fitting coffee tumbler/thermos cup/mug that fits this awkward funky cupholder behind the iDrive controller? None of the BMW branded ones work (and I have a variety and a collection of various sizes and vintages). I'm looking for something short (not to stick out too much as it is already positioned kinda weird) and fat enough so it does not rattle around. I'd also prefer a rubbery grip similar to the "M" type BMW tall thermos cup.
Thanks!
      09-08-2021, 10:23 AM   #2
Kamate
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW m6

I don’t think that spot is meant for cup holder, it’s more for coins. What’s wrong with the front cup holders?!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 10:28 AM   #3
pokrovsky
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamate View Post
I don’t think that spot is meant for cup holder, it’s more for coins. What’s wrong with the front cup holders?!
on MT cars there are no front cup holders - there is an ashtray and a cig lighter behind the cover in front of the shifter
      09-08-2021, 03:26 PM   #4
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamate View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokrovsky View Post
on MT cars there are no front cup holders - there is an ashtray and a cig lighter behind the cover in front of the shifter
To elaborate -- that little compartment you're referring to for the coins in DCT cars is actually where the cupholder is on manual transmission cars. And it's the only one, they don't even get two.

OP -- wish I could be of help, I have no experience with the dimensions of the MT cupholder so I can't speak from experience. If it is in fact the same size as what one of the dual cupholder 'cups' is, my blender bottle fits very snug. Only concern is that maybe it would be too bulky and you'd be hitting it when going to 6th gear, so you might have to get one of the shorter ones than the 32oz one I usually have
      09-08-2021, 04:05 PM   #5
pokrovsky
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJohnson32 View Post
To elaborate -- that little compartment you're referring to for the coins in DCT cars is actually where the cupholder is on manual transmission cars. And it's the only one, they don't even get two.

OP -- wish I could be of help, I have no experience with the dimensions of the MT cupholder so I can't speak from experience. If it is in fact the same size as what one of the dual cupholder 'cups' is, my blender bottle fits very snug. Only concern is that maybe it would be too bulky and you'd be hitting it when going to 6th gear, so you might have to get one of the shorter ones than the 32oz one I usually have
Thank you very much!
judging by the parts fiche and the fact that rubber inserts are the same I can assume the size of the front cupholders and the MT cupholder is the same, it's about 2.75" diameter at the bottom and slightly bigger up top.
What do you mean by your "bender bottle" exactly? would you mind showing the picture or a link to what you have?
      09-08-2021, 04:38 PM   #6
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokrovsky View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJohnson32 View Post

Thank you very much!
judging by the parts fiche and the fact that rubber inserts are the same I can assume the size of the front cupholders and the MT cupholder is the same, it's about 2.75" diameter at the bottom and slightly bigger up top.
What do you mean by your "bender bottle" exactly? would you mind showing the picture or a link to what you have?
A blender bottle like this, shaker bottle — whatever you want to call it that you take to the gym

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

By the way, congrats on the purchase and welcome to the community. These cars sure are phenomenal, glad you're loving yours
      09-08-2021, 09:03 PM   #7
Mandrake
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M6GC MT

Congratulations and welcome! The MT F06 M6 is a magnificent machine. You'll keep finding reasons to love it even more. That lone holder on the MT is for your scepter. There are not two spaces because only the driver is king--no scepters for the passengers. But ruling the road can be thirsty work and at times you may want to store a beverage there. I use a half liter double-walled glass tumbler in a neoprene jacket. There are many kinds sold on Amazon. See some choices by searching for glass tea tumbler 500ml. You can choose any liquid, of course. I have a .75 liter double-walled steel screw top water bottle that is a tight fit there, too, but it's taller and more obtrusive. The cup is too small for standard Nalgene bottles and many thermoses. Aim for something roughly the dimensions of a 16 ounce can. I can find you links to what I have if you're curious.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 01:14 PM   #8
tab
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M6 Gran Coupe MT

Garage List
2016 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
Welcome to the MT club. I still love my 2016 M6 GC 6MT. I've put about 52,000 miles on it in the last 6 years.

The cupholder behind the stick is annoying. My elbow hits it. The short answer: focus on shifting, not drinking!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 09:40 AM   #9
pokrovsky
Rep

Just a quick follow up. I think I found an adequate enough solution for us with the MT cars (and who still wants to drink coffee during the commute )

What I ended up buying is this mug
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and a silicone sleeve to make snugger fit:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by pokrovsky; 10-28-2021 at 09:47 AM..
Appreciate 0