BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

03-01-2021, 03:42 AM   #1
daniel650i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 650i gc

Can you install a bmw m6 steering wheel onto a 650i?

I have a 2015 650i gc and wanted to install a m performance steering wheel (the one with lights) and after research, I'm struggling to see if it will fit. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 07:50 AM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Do some searches. There was a thread on this no more than about a month ago.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 06:00 PM   #3
daniel650i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Do some searches. There was a thread on this no more than about a month ago.
Was only able to find this through our forums but it doesn't really answer my question cause this owner is installing a pre-Lci steering wheel to the current lci steering wheel all while staying in the same 650i chassis.

I tried to utilize getbmwparts.com to see the blueprint on the steering column for both bmw 650/m6 and the website only shows blueprint for the m6 and 650i pre-lci steering column. I tried to access the website though both phone and laptop to see if the lci steering assembly would show but it still shows up blank.

I want to say it should be a direct fit but you never know until you try.. but it's an expensive try if it goes wrong lol
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 06:25 PM   #4
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
The part number for the wheel in your picture is shared across the 5- and 6- series cars.

* Will it fit? Most likely yes.
* Will it be plug-and-play? Most likely not.

The wiring diagrams are different between the regular and M steering wheels. You will most likely also require coding to related modules.

Will be worth considering your car equipment as well such as heated wheel, lane departure warning, active cruise control? You will need to ensure that any replacement wheel matches you car equipment level. Heated steering, for instance, appears to be incompatible with the M-Sport steering wheel with Race Display.
      03-01-2021, 06:33 PM   #5
daniel650i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nz View Post
The part number for the wheel in your picture is shared across the 5- and 6- series cars.

* Will it fit? Most likely yes.
* Will it be plug-and-play? Most likely not.

The wiring diagrams are different between the regular and M steering wheels. You will most likely also require coding to related modules.

Will be worth considering your car equipment as well such as heated wheel, lane departure warning, active cruise control? You will need to ensure that any replacement wheel matches you car equipment level. Heated steering, for instance, appears to be incompatible with the M-Sport steering wheel with Race Display.
My car does not have heating steering wheel unfortunately :/ but the m performance wheel w/ led display will have all the features my factory wheel has (cruise control+lane departure warning)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 09:43 PM   #6
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Well now I see the previous thread I was thing of was also started by you.
Appreciate 0