BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      06-17-2021, 03:23 AM   #1
Bigjule1111
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw640gc 2015Mercedes e40

air conditioner not cooling

hello gents ..like the title states ..my 14 f06 all of a sudden, the air doesn't feel very cold ..was thinking of charging the unit first before i take it to my local indie shop .. so my question is , is this straight foward or is there any other thing i need to do besides connecting on the low side ? thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 04:08 AM   #2
Challengemaster
Rep
Drives: BMW 640d Coupé

I'd take it to somewhere that will leak test the system before just adding more refrigerant in there. If you add more in and it's leaking then you're just wasting money.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 02:43 PM   #3
Bigjule1111
First Lieutenant
Rep

i already have a can that was sitting in the garage..just want to b certain that it's a straight foward thing and not any additional steps that need to b taken
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 09:15 PM   #4
AccordTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i XDrive Gran Coupe M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjule1111 View Post
i already have a can that was sitting in the garage..just want to b certain that it's a straight foward thing and not any additional steps that need to b taken
If that can is red tek you better think twice. Red tek is refined propane and once it's in the ac system almost no shop will service you ac system ever again. It's extremely flammable. Hopefully it's 134a?
Carbon Front Splitters
Carbon Rear Diffuser
Carbon Grilles
Powder Coated 373m Triple Bronze
CPG intakes
Arm catless downpipes
Arm charge pipes
Custom Snow Performance methanol injection
Custom exhaust, straight pipes to quad tips
Bootmod3 Stage 2
3.5 Tmaps
xHP Stage 3
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2021, 11:09 PM   #5
Bigjule1111
First Lieutenant
Rep

it's definitely 134a but i was reading about the 6 series needs to have the right intake port removed. not sure what this means
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 06:00 AM   #6
AccordTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
it's definitely 134a but i was reading about the 6 series needs to have the right intake port removed. not sure what this means
I have had my car charged a couple times, these cars are notorious for ac leaks. All my guy did was vacuum out the system to remove any moisture, then connected to the high and low side nipples.
Carbon Front Splitters
Carbon Rear Diffuser
Carbon Grilles
CPG intakes
Arm catless downpipes
Arm charge pipes
Bootmod3 Stage 2
3.5 Tmaps
xHP Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 06:10 AM   #7
Bigjule1111
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordTR View Post
Quote:
I have had my car charged a couple times, these cars are notorious for ac leaks. All my guy did was vacuum out the system to remove any moisture, then connected to the high and low side nipples.
they connected through both sides the high and low I thought it was only the low side you connect through
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 06:19 AM   #8
AccordTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
they connected through both sides the high and low I thought it was only the low side you connect through
Yep high and low every time I've had it recharged. In these cars both are on the passenger front side
Carbon Front Splitters
Carbon Rear Diffuser
Carbon Grilles
CPG intakes
Arm catless downpipes
Arm charge pipes
Bootmod3 Stage 2
3.5 Tmaps
xHP Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 06:37 AM   #9
Bigjule1111
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yep high and low every time I've had it recharged. In these cars both are on the passenger front side
oh.. so what connects on the high side ? I've done this on my other vehicles that I've owned ..it's been awhile but i never connected anything on the high side .. but keep in mind ..I'm far from a HVAC guy or a mechanic..and thanks for your input
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 06:41 AM   #10
AccordTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Your recharge gauge should have 3 hoses/nipples. 1 goes to the high side, 1 goes to the low side and then the 3rd attaches to your r134a can/source. Maybe your kit has a different gauge than the 'professional' ones??
Carbon Front Splitters
Carbon Rear Diffuser
Carbon Grilles
CPG intakes
Arm catless downpipes
Arm charge pipes
Bootmod3 Stage 2
3.5 Tmaps
xHP Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 06:55 AM   #11
Bigjule1111
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Your recharge gauge should have 3 hoses/nipples. 1 goes to the high side, 1 goes to the low side and then the 3rd attaches to your r134a can/source. Maybe your kit has a different gauge than the 'professional' ones??
that's exactly what it is .i dont have a professional kit ..just a can from my local pep boys that i had sitting around in the garage
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 06:59 AM   #12
AccordTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Gotcha. The gauges are about $100 on Amazon. I was warned to not just attach to the high side on this car by the ac guy. Not sure why, just what he mentioned when he was doing it. I'm sure you can just attach and fill with r134a on the one side. Not sure if it effects the system thou long term?
Carbon Front Splitters
Carbon Rear Diffuser
Carbon Grilles
CPG intakes
Arm catless downpipes
Arm charge pipes
Bootmod3 Stage 2
3.5 Tmaps
xHP Stage 3
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2021, 07:01 AM   #13
Bigjule1111
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Gotcha. The gauges are about $100 on Amazon. I was warned to not just attach to the high side on this car by the ac guy. Not sure why, just what he mentioned when he was doing it. I'm sure you can just attach and fill with r134a on the one side. Not sure if it effects the system thou long term?
i believe if u attach hose on the high side the pressure goes back into the can and can explode .. i believe this is the case ..also this is what I dug up about the intake port
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 07:02 AM   #14
Bigjule1111
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
i believe if u attach hose on the high side the pressure goes back into the can and can explode .. i believe this is the case ..also this is what I dug up about the intake port
here the info
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 07:03 AM   #15
AccordTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

That would make sense. I believe also moisture can build up in the low side and cause issues.

Correct in pic. Those are the high and low ports.I have aftermarket intakes but the factory intake would definitely be in the way.
Carbon Front Splitters
Carbon Rear Diffuser
Carbon Grilles
CPG intakes
Arm catless downpipes
Arm charge pipes
Bootmod3 Stage 2
3.5 Tmaps
xHP Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 09:51 PM   #16
Bigjule1111
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That would make sense. I believe also moisture can build up in the low side and cause issues.

Correct in pic. Those are the high and low ports.I have aftermarket intakes but the factory intake would definitely be in the way.
not sure what u mean it would b in the way ? the low side it's pretty much easy to get too it seems ..going to try recharge tomorrow morning.. heres a pic
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 09:53 PM   #17
Bigjule1111
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

not sure what u mean it would b in the way ? the low side it's pretty much easy to get too it seems ..going to try recharge tomorrow morning.. heres a pic
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 01:51 AM   #18
AccordTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Sorry I meant if you want to access both high and low.
Carbon Front Splitters
Carbon Rear Diffuser
Carbon Grilles
CPG intakes
Arm catless downpipes
Arm charge pipes
Bootmod3 Stage 2
3.5 Tmaps
xHP Stage 3
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2021, 08:19 AM   #19
Bigjule1111
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

looks like both diagrams that i found online is telling me the 1 in the front of the vehicle is the low side ..but i tried connecting the ac pro hose to that one and it won't fit ..it does fit on the connection that's on the back of the engine bay ..same side ... is it different for a 640 than a 650? i know they made these connections dummy proof but just want to make sure I'm hooked up on the low side. thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 08:22 AM   #20
AccordTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

looks like both diagrams that i found online is telling me the 1 in the front of the vehicle is the low side ..but i tried connecting the ac pro hose to that one and it won't fit ..it does fit on the connection that's on the back of the engine bay ..same side ... is it different for a 640 than a 650? i know they made these connections dummy proof but just want to make sure I'm hooked up on the low side. thanks
The kit will only connect to the one under the intake. So if your going to use that kit you'll need to attach there. 650/640 is the same.
Carbon Front Splitters
Carbon Rear Diffuser
Carbon Grilles
CPG intakes
Arm catless downpipes
Arm charge pipes
Bootmod3 Stage 2
3.5 Tmaps
xHP Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 08:38 AM   #21
Bigjule1111
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The kit will only connect to the one under the intake. So if your going to use that kit you'll need to attach there. 650/640 is the same.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

it connects to this one . the 1 on the back ..but online it tell me is the one near the front passenger headlamp
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 08:39 AM   #22
Bigjule1111
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

it connects to this one . the 1 on the back ..but online it tell me is the one near the front passenger headlamp
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

this one
Attached Images

Appreciate 0