BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

02-26-2021, 05:28 PM   #111
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carseatsm5 View Post
Amalfi Coast road to Positano. Terrifying.
Oh man I'd love to go there. Beautiful place!
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2021, 05:30 PM   #112
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
When I was in my early 20's, I had to go to DC for a weekend Drs appointment. I thought driving in St. Louis was slighting irritating - but the evening before when I decided to make a non-rush hour practice run to the Drs office (plus I was bored) - I got on a freeway and could not get off. I'd just start taking whatever the next right was, but it would just be another freeway equally impossible to get off. I went through 3 states before I could find an exit that was actually a exit.

I was by myself and this was pre cell phones days, so I only had a map - which I could not stop to ready while doing 85, being passed and honked at constantly.

It was right out of a sit com. I kind of wish I had it on video now. I was frazzled.
I had the same exact experience back in the mid-90s. When driving on the DC beltway, regardless of where I was, the signs kept telling me my exit was in the opposite direction. I went completely around in the beltway and never reached the exit. I finally exited the beltway to see if I could re-enter in the opposite direction. Nope, it dropped me on to another highway with no exit for miles and no place to u-turns. I finally found an exit in Virginia that dropped me on to a similar highway that took me to Maryland. Luckily it was the weekend, so traffic wasn’t heavy.
Appreciate 1
unluky7465.00
      02-26-2021, 06:07 PM   #113
Dpc2u
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, E60 M5, F15 X5, E46

Quote:
Amalfi Coast road to Positano. Terrifying.
Been there, done that, and you are 100% correct!

IG - @thebimmerhaus
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2021, 05:38 PM   #114
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpc2u View Post
Someone post a pic or two of that drive if you've got 'em.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 07:10 AM   #115
Dpc2u
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
Quote:
Someone post a pic or two of that drive if you've got 'em.
No pictures of the actual drives, but I have several from stops along the way. This will give you a general idea though.....

IG - @thebimmerhaus
Appreciate 1
TiMSport12786.50
      02-28-2021, 11:41 AM   #116
carseatsm5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

Quote:
No pictures of the actual drives, but I have several from stops along the way. This will give you a general idea though.....

No pictures here. Was too busy trying to stay alive.
Appreciate 2
Dpc2u11503.00
TiMSport12786.50
      02-28-2021, 12:20 PM   #117
Dpc2u
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

No pictures here. Was too busy trying to stay alive.
You liked that drive, try The Isle of Capri! Even more daunting.

IG - @thebimmerhaus
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2021, 12:36 PM   #118
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Yup...
We stayed in Praiano and parked it.
Took the bus everywhere after that.

Scariest drive however was Touristenfahrten at the Nordschleife on a Friday evening.
All the crazy's were out after the work week.
Appreciate 1
Dpc2u11503.00
      02-28-2021, 01:46 PM   #119
carseatsm5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

Quote:
You liked that drive, try The Isle of Capri! Even more daunting.
We did Capri right after Positano actually. I did not drive there enough was enough.
Appreciate 1
Dpc2u11503.00
      02-28-2021, 01:58 PM   #120
joooiiiiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:
For me, it's Amsterdam for sure. A few years ago I rented a car in Germany (Dusseldorf) and decided to use my weekend off from work to cruise over to The Netherlands. What a fantastic experience. To put it into context, I had never been to Germany before, so I had never driven the Autobahn. Needless to say I did during that trip and it was amazing.

I was stressed because I didn't really know what to expect but figured I'd take a chance and explore. I've since been there a few more times and became more comfortable/confident in driving. Not knowing the rules of the road in Amsterdam.... just wow. Let's just say it's not a car friendly place. Bicycles definitely rule the road there and I suppose that's why Amsterdam is known to have more bicycles than people. Reportedly there are over 900,000 bikes there. While walking around, it wasn't hard to believe.

If you drive down the wrong street in a car, cyclists will let you know it! Having said that, it was pure pleasure exploring the city and driving along cobble-stoned streets next to endless canals. I will never forget it.

I will admit there were a couple of times I found myself facing a tram car coming towards me and making me realize I'm not in the right place with my car!

There were plenty of white knuckle moments driving my rental BMW M140i to be sure. It was exhilarating mostly. Weather was terribly cold and rainy making it even more stressful but I ultimately made it back to Germany in one piece and felt kind of proud of myself for not getting in a wreck or worse

I've mentioned this in another forum here, but I love to rent cars that aren't available in the US. This was one of them. Somehow I find myself attracted to these BMW hot hatches with 6-cylinder engines and RWD.

Yeah, when I visit Amsterdam I always rented a bike--it's really the best and most fun way to get around. It is definitely not made for cars and if you have an incident with a bike, the Dutch will definitely always look at the car who will be at fault. I've seen cars go out of their way to avoid even causing the bicyclists' to move. I can't imagine driving around Amsterdam.

Paris: I'd have to say driving in Paris has topped my list of insanity, especially at the traffic circles with no lanes and a million cars just trying to get in and out of that mess. You just have to figure that shit out and hope no one hits you.

Florence: This was crazy too but I actually kind of like their style of driving. The huge cobblestones in the city center is so messed up that you have to crawl through those streets or else you'll bottom out with your car. They love to disregard the lines in the road and they'll often straddle the lines for a bit before actually getting into their lane. If it fits then you're good to go!

Cambodia: I will never drive here. My uncle drove us from Battambang to Phnom Penh and I swear the last time I thought I was going to die like that was in Iraq. Don't ever try and drive in Cambodia, leave it to the locals.
Appreciate 1
TiMSport12786.50
      02-28-2021, 02:19 PM   #121
ZL9M2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 ZL9-'20 M2CS-'68 1600

Amalfi Coast... I would highly suggest renting a motorscooter instead of trying to navigate by car. The bike is much narrower and actually feels safer than trying to squeeze a car through those blind corners.
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2021, 02:50 PM   #122
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL9M2 View Post
Amalfi Coast... I would highly suggest renting a motorscooter instead of trying to navigate by car. The bike is much narrower and actually feels safer than trying to squeeze a car through those blind corners.
This is on my bucket list!!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 03:38 PM   #123
shadowfax
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Beech Mountain, North Carolina. Dislocated my right shoulder snow boarding. My right arm being sort of tied to my chest in a sling made shifting gears while dealing with twisty mountain roads a bit tricky. Was also my first experience driving on icy roads.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 05:03 PM   #124
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
First time going to the Big Island of Hawaii my wife and I took a drive from Kona to Mauna Kea, the dormant volcano that is one of the world's premier places to gaze at the stars.

Fun fact: Mauna Kea is 4,207 meters (13,803 feet) above sea level but when including its underwater base, it's the highest mountain in the world at 10,211 meters (33,500 feet).

There's a small, winding road that leads from highway 200 (aka Saddle Road) up to a mid-level observatory called "Onizuka Center for International Astronomy". All I can say is that it is well worth the trip up there because it's the most gorgeous view of the stars I have ever seen in my life. It's pitch black on the way up and down that meandering road (Mauna Kea Access Rd.) and its purposeful as to not disturb the hobbyists and astronomers gazing into the universe.

Anyway, the return trip down that access road was scary as shit. It got so foggy all of a sudden we couldn't see more than a few feet in front of us, including any other vehicles that were in front of us. I've driven in foggy conditions but this scared the shit out of me. I didn't know the road and it's high up so it added to the pulse racing vibe. On the way up it was crystal clear, the return? Not so much. It was just an eerie feeling that I rarely experienced while driving.

I highly recommend going to this place if given the chance. Outstanding.
That sounds amazing. Got any pics?

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 09:06 PM   #125
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Amalfi coast has a pretty tight road that I've been on where the buses nearly hit your car. That's pretty fun. Driven all through Italy and that's pretty sane compared to some of the places in Eastern Europe.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 01:36 AM   #126
The J-Man
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Old town Prague for me. Pedestrians, trams, cobblestones, narrow streets. Hated driving there! Amsterdam is a close second.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 10:25 AM   #127
JReis
Rep
Drives: 640i GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-technik-3 View Post
Tokyo in a LHD semi in a RHD country. Other one, Riyadh during Ramadan at dusk. Talk about folks being bat shit crazy. Nothing can be consumed sun up till sun down and during hot weather...makes people batty.
Riyadh is a crazy place to drive. I remember six cars side by side in 3 lanes at a light and the dude on the far right makes a hard left in front of everyone when it turned green.

Most stressful for me is either Kabul or Kandahar. Getting stuck in traffic and crowds in a Humvee in downtown Kandahar was a bit stressful. Likewise, bumper to bumper in Kabul with motorcycles zipping in between cars and some of them leaving presents on the cars raised the blood pressure a bit.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 10:04 AM   #128
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The J-Man View Post
Old town Prague for me. Pedestrians, trams, cobblestones, narrow streets. Hated driving there! Amsterdam is a close second.
I'd love to check out Prague, maybe not drive there though
If it's more difficult or stressful than Amsterdam....
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 10:13 AM   #129
MOTOP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2018 Raptor

Jericho in Palestine.
We've been warned that this could be our last ride ever.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 10:20 AM   #130
6oclockshadow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Driving any of the NW European Countries--especially the NL and BE--very congested, old, rickety roads.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 10:22 AM   #131
MOTOP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2018 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joooiiiiii View Post
Yeah, when I visit Amsterdam I always rented a bike--it's really the best and most fun way to get around. It is definitely not made for cars and if you have an incident with a bike, the Dutch will definitely always look at the car who will be at fault. I've seen cars go out of their way to avoid even causing the bicyclists' to move. I can't imagine driving around Amsterdam.

Cambodia: I will never drive here. My uncle drove us from Battambang to Phnom Penh and I swear the last time I thought I was going to die like that was in Iraq. Don't ever try and drive in Cambodia, leave it to the locals.

Cambodia, IMHO, is fine. At least in Siem Reap region. Very civilized. Maybe b/c of Ankhor Wat. 10 yrs ago the only thing that bothered me was $25 tax to get out of Cambodia.

But India - that's a place where a foreigner should never drive.
If you get to choose between a cow and a local - hit the local ! If you hit a cow - good luck defending yourself against an avalanche of trouble. You'll may be stuck in the country for very long time. Even in jail.

But hitting a local guy if you had to make a choice - almost nothing.
Don't take any offense please if i hurt anyone's feelings. Just something that I've been told in Varanasi. :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 05:41 PM   #132
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redX6owner View Post
Cambodia, IMHO, is fine. At least in Siem Reap region. Very civilized. Maybe b/c of Ankhor Wat. 10 yrs ago the only thing that bothered me was $25 tax to get out of Cambodia.

But India - that's a place where a foreigner should never drive.
If you get to choose between a cow and a local - hit the local ! If you hit a cow - good luck defending yourself against an avalanche of trouble. You'll may be stuck in the country for very long time. Even in jail.

But hitting a local guy if you had to make a choice - almost nothing.
Don't take any offense please if i hurt anyone's feelings. Just something that I've been told in Varanasi. :-)
I traveled to India just once, and that was enough. I remember riding in taxis and thinking how crazy it would be to drive there. That wasn't the only reason I have no desire to return though, lol.
Appreciate 0