BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

11-05-2016, 12:14 PM   #1
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640D GC and MX5 NC PRHT

Bollocks...and more Bollocks...

My 6 got rear ended last night by some giant dildo in the heavy rain (guy was travelling way to close in that weather), pulled over to let him by on a straight (indicated and slowed gently in a 30mph). Guy behind gets struck by the car behind and gently taps me.

Not an issue I thought, nope the guy behind (that hit the BM) starts going no damage to you and I am not going to provide details, the one that struck him silent as a lamb (reasons why in a moment)....

Phone the police to deal with these plonkers, supply reg numbers - car that hit the BM - insured (thank god), car behind him - no insurance. Lucky I supplied the registration numbers - they both drove off and naturally their reg numbers were broadcast - having to give a witness statement some time next week. Kent police thumbs up though overall (even by their surprise when I said they won't give me any details!)

BM's damage...visibly nothing not even a scratch or dent on the main rear bumper, the grey bottom section as to minor chips out of it and the right hand side is not perfectly flush anymore, only the towing eye popped out, looked under it today and everything appears straight including the rear supporting beam and rear boot panel.

But, naturally it is going in to the bodyshop next week for a more professional view (approved repairer - I know, I know - as it is under 3 years old though it has to be OEM parts). I am hoping for no damage to be found, but in all in all the 640 is built well.

My insurer lucky for me has already waived the excess and had it classed as non fault (subject to the recovery of costs obviously from the guy in the middle), they want the dashcam evidence as well...

Other issues to make this more fun:

Just paid the MX5's insurance renewal - so had to disclose and add that (lucky it is down as a non-fault currently and no premium increase, both policies are with the same insurer and are linked to one another (mirrored NCD effectively))

Going to Barcelona with work tomorrow so my OH is in charge of overseeing the BMW going in (I will be leaving a list obviously!)
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 05:58 PM   #2
darms
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport Shadow Ed

What bad luck mate but lucky the muppet driver was insured at least.

Just shows me that I really need to get a dash cam sooner rather than later.

Hopefully it all gets sorted without any issues mate, needless to say a headache I'm sure you could have done without.

Do keep us posted how it goes ?
      11-06-2016, 04:10 AM   #3
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AMG GTC + RR Velar + 640d GC

Garage List
Noticed that BMW now offers OEM dashcams as an option, certainly on the new 7er but possibly on the 6er LCI.

I think you will find that for "gentle taps" under 5 mph the impact absorbing bumper assembly does what it's meant to do. No damage except for scuffs if that.

Current: 2018 Range Rover Velar First Edition D300 HSE + 2018 AMG GT-C Coupe + 2013 6 Series BMW GranCoupe (October)
Retired: 2016 AMG-GTS Coupe, 2013 & 2012 Maserati GranTurismo MC Stradale,2016 3-Series Touring, 2009 5 Series GT, 2007 BMW M5, 2012 & 2006 BMW 1 Series
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 04:41 AM   #4
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by darms View Post

Just shows me that I really need to get a dash cam sooner rather than later.
+1.

Too many oxygen thieves out there.

A 2 channel dash cam is on the shopping list this week.

Anyone have a link to the OEM one?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 09:29 AM   #5
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Oem one is pricey i have a blackvue 2 channel on mine.

Looking at the car only the bottom grey trim should need replacing otherwise the car looks 100% fine.

Footage should be submitted soon to the insurers. I am most frustrated though by people's lack of honesty these days and equally the difficultly some people have being honest
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 03:58 AM   #6
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Update....

Dashcam footage helped, definitely classed as not at fault, decided on the Monday after the incident on the Friday. Costs are going against the uninsured driver at the very rear (glad I had given their numberplate to the police) - my insurer have asked for the details of the RK via the DVLA (insurer was fair because they drove off, so what information I could provide I have). Middle guy by my insurer is being classed as not at fault.

Excess covered without issue by my insurance, and I have visited the bodyshop. Damage at the moment is down as a repair to the grey trim section, rest of the bumper is all okay (one minor clearcoat scratch).

Rear bumper will be removed though to check for any further damage behind it, although it looks like it has "lived to fight another day".

Overall the bodyshop were good and understood my requests for not cleaning it after I explained.

Repair starts Wednesday for 2 days .

Need to call the Police mind as I was supposed to have a call by now for witness statements.

Edit:

Just called the police now, it is in for case review with a case worker in the next few days, so the middle guy may have got off lightly with my insurer, but the police are possibly showing interest if nothing else.

Last edited by NINJA59; 11-14-2016 at 04:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 06:22 AM   #7
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Final Update in regards to the repair....

Instead of repairing the diffuser, the old one is being replaced (I think they found the cost was pretty cheap).

No damage to anything behind the bumper, even the diffuser fixings held up a okay without any damage.

Rear numberplate is being replaced due to two cracks in it (they even got my cars original dealer to supply it!).

Overall well done BMW .
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 03:41 PM   #8
darms
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport Shadow Ed

Sleep well tonight mate
      11-17-2016, 02:08 AM   #9
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I did mate, hahaha. The car gods were looking down on my GC that day.

Kent Police called back yesterday as well asked for the dashcam evidence.

Will catch up with the insurers and the DVLA request, hopefully the rest will be sorted quickly (but I doubt it).
Appreciate 0