BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

12-24-2018, 12:26 PM   #23
carl0s
Rep
Drives: 2004 545i & 2001 330i

Like I said, I haven't listened to the video and I am not at home now for a few days where I have headphones and hifi etc, but here's the video comparing Focal tweeter swap on left and stock bang and Olufsen on the right.

If the video isn't showing in HD then just give it a while. YouTube always gives s.d. while it's still preparing the h.d. content.

Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 07:42 PM   #24
MelbourneFinn
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 G30 M550i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [9.00]
Pleased to hear about the improvement, I would have felt awful if my advice of Focals had turned out to be rubbish �� Then again, I’ve used them for some time now... Their sound actually will still improve, they need about 100-200 hours of use before they are fully bedded in.

Now, interesting, I may be mistaken, but when looking at your video, it seems as if both treble and bass settings were as much negative as you can have them - or does the B&O sound program override bass and treble settings? In the H/K system it doesn’t... Try levelling them out to zero and deactivate any sound profile, that will give you an idea of the elements’ natural sound... Btw, I don’t think the difference in the element weight matters, as long as the diameter is the same. I would think they are as it’s the same speaker mounts that are used in the H/K system, and they are identical in size... If you end up putting the mid range elements in, I think you wouldn’t use the cross overs at all, I think the B&O amp/dsp feeds each element directly, so the passive Focal cross overs wouldn’t have any use... But maybe double check with someone who has experience of B&O, but maybe this web page helps https://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/solu...ies-gran-coupe - based on it the amp indeed is 16 channels, so no passive cross overs needed...
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2018, 04:20 AM   #25
carl0s
Rep
Drives: 2004 545i & 2001 330i

Hey Finn. I'm not using the crossovers as this is an active system. I soldered the focal tweeters to the factory wiring.

Also, the e.q. - the 7 bands, and the 'bass/treble' is all reset to default which is 'center' of everything i.e. +/- 0

With the original tweeters I had to dial up all the highs quite considerably to get any brightness at all, which then added metallic raspiness everywhere else.

Something bright and vocally like Michael Jackson's Liberian Girl, really comes alive now. I always thought that song was about a sexy bookworm.. librarian girl, lol
Appreciate 0