BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

12-19-2018, 04:42 PM   #1
carl0s
Rep
Drives: 2004 545i & 2001 330i

noise

just moved from an XFR-S with mid-pipe swap (centre muffler delete I suppose you'd call it), and the (standard for that car) meridian surround audio, to an M6 GC with B & O. The exhaust on the XFR-S was spitty and raspy (actually it was an XF-R with the 2014 performance pack, which includes -RS back boxes amongst other -RS things, so it's easier to describe it as an -RS).

Both exhaust and HiFi ( B & O ) sound are giving me a headache

Both sound like they're coming down a tunnel.

The Jaguar had its problems with bass & door card buzzes, but at least the perception of location (sound staging) was good, and it was crisp. There's something weird going on with the B & O, and I have tried the popular e.q. suggestions on here.

and the exhaust sounds like a bassy vacuum cleaner :-( Like if Dyson made cars.

I am only on day two, or even day 1.5 (I picked it up yesterday), but I'm feeling a bit like I'm on a bad date after a breakup.

Everyone seems very impressed and tells me it's a step up from the Jag but it just doesn't feel like that to me.

Any suggested muffler delete type things that won't upset the car too much or cause motorway drone or anything?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 01:21 AM   #2
Mr. M6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 F06  [9.25]
get Akra or Gthaus or eisenmann full exhuast, better with on/off valves.

good luck
      12-20-2018, 02:03 AM   #3
MelbourneFinn
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 G30 M550i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl0s View Post
just moved from an XFR-S with mid-pipe swap (centre muffler delete I suppose you'd call it), and the (standard for that car) meridian surround audio, to an M6 GC with B & O. The exhaust on the XFR-S was spitty and raspy (actually it was an XF-R with the 2014 performance pack, which includes -RS back boxes amongst other -RS things, so it's easier to describe it as an -RS).

Both exhaust and HiFi ( B & O ) sound are giving me a headache

Both sound like they're coming down a tunnel.

The Jaguar had its problems with bass & door card buzzes, but at least the perception of location (sound staging) was good, and it was crisp. There's something weird going on with the B & O, and I have tried the popular e.q. suggestions on here.

and the exhaust sounds like a bassy vacuum cleaner :-( Like if Dyson made cars.

I am only on day two, or even day 1.5 (I picked it up yesterday), but I'm feeling a bit like I'm on a bad date after a breakup.

Everyone seems very impressed and tells me it's a step up from the Jag but it just doesn't feel like that to me.

Any suggested muffler delete type things that won't upset the car too much or cause motorway drone or anything?
Re. B&O - have you played with the head unit settings? The previous owner (or was this 2nd hand?) May have been half deaf and set the sound to something weird... It’s never going to be competition level sound, but should be decent with appropriate settings.

In terms of the exhaust, M6 has so much better cabin insulation than the XF that it will always sound muted, particularly inside. And the XF super charged engine and exhaust is just more raw and loud, unless you swap the exhaust and down pipes, there will always be a rather significant difference. Think of M6 as a mature and stylish lady, and XF as a bogan beach chick (in her 40’s)... 😂
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 10:11 AM   #4
carl0s
Rep

Hmmm. I might get used to the engine noise, but I'm struggling with the audio system.

Is it possible that the 2014 (April 2014) M6 gran coupe with B & O is not supporting aptx or something ?

I know, I know.. it's bluetooth, it's lossy, and it's already streamed content (Prime music), but it should sound better than it does.

I may see what updates ISTA/P offers when I get time. I do notice the bluetooth disconnects and reconnects sometimes, although it seems to be between tracks rather than during playback, so perhaps that's by design ?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 10:18 AM   #5
carl0s
Rep

I think this reviewer pretty much explains what I was saying about the 'tunnel'. I was going to say it sounds like there a big boxy speaker where the HUD unit is - well this reviewer says it sounds like the sound is all coming out from the steering wheel, so it's not just me. What a disappointment :-(
https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...n-sound-system
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 11:34 PM   #6
MelbourneFinn
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [9.00]
I hear what you say, and if you ask me, the B&O is waste of money as an upgrade, but when buying 2nd hand you can’t necessarily pick and choose. On the other hand, consider that you probably didn’t pay anything for the “upgrade”...

I have recently done a proper upgrade to my GC, just couldn’t live with the original “shit sound”, but I was lucky to have the standard H/K setup, that’s easier to upgrade.

Find a good tuning shop, and for a couple of thousand $$$’s they will be able to do miracles...

Suggest that as the 1st step you swap the “main speakers”, ie. the ones in all doors, and possibly rear shelf. At least in the H/K setup they are all similar splits, and Focal has an excellent replacement set (if you keep the B&O amp/dsp, you don’t need to use the x-overs that come with Focals). That will improve the clarity and quality of the sound by a mile...

Another recommended upgrade is the replace the under seat woofers with better quality ones, again look at Focals. Will make a big difference to lowed mid range.

The 2nd step is a bit more radical, and requires a bit more effort and knowledge, but if you like your sound system and music, absolutely worth it! (That’s what I did) Forget the B&O dsp and sound staging capability, and replace the whole lot, just keep the head unit. You need a DA converter (mObridge) and a couple of good quality amps and a dsp. I went for a Mosconi 6-channel digital amp/dsp, and a Soundstream monoblock amp for the sub. If you want proper bass, you need a custom built sub enclosure, and min 10” sub (recommend 12” if you go through the effort).

The sad truth is that none of the factory sound systems produce a proper sound, but you can change that... Happy to share more details if you are interested...
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 02:56 AM   #7
carl0s
Rep

Hey Finn, thanks very much for the info. I am a big fan of Focal speakers. I'm glad to hear they do a set (that might or might not fit my door cards, being b & o?) It's the tweeters I'd like to improve first.

I'll no doubt be back asking for more informed soon!

P.s. you might say I didn't pay for the upgrade, but actually, it's one of the main reasons I chose this model car. Over 500hp, comfort, top sound system and good tech all round. I specifically ignored any cars that didn't have the upgrade.

Btw, is it the es100k Focal for the fronts?

Last edited by carl0s; 12-21-2018 at 03:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 08:13 AM   #8
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 XDrive, 2023 IX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbourneFinn View Post
I hear what you say, and if you ask me, the B&O is waste of money as an upgrade, but when buying 2nd hand you can’t necessarily pick and choose. On the other hand, consider that you probably didn’t pay anything for the “upgrade”...

I have recently done a proper upgrade to my GC, just couldn’t live with the original “shit sound”, but I was lucky to have the standard H/K setup, that’s easier to upgrade.

Find a good tuning shop, and for a couple of thousand $$$’s they will be able to do miracles...

Suggest that as the 1st step you swap the “main speakers”, ie. the ones in all doors, and possibly rear shelf. At least in the H/K setup they are all similar splits, and Focal has an excellent replacement set (if you keep the B&O amp/dsp, you don’t need to use the x-overs that come with Focals). That will improve the clarity and quality of the sound by a mile...

Another recommended upgrade is the replace the under seat woofers with better quality ones, again look at Focals. Will make a big difference to lowed mid range.

The 2nd step is a bit more radical, and requires a bit more effort and knowledge, but if you like your sound system and music, absolutely worth it! (That’s what I did) Forget the B&O dsp and sound staging capability, and replace the whole lot, just keep the head unit. You need a DA converter (mObridge) and a couple of good quality amps and a dsp. I went for a Mosconi 6-channel digital amp/dsp, and a Soundstream monoblock amp for the sub. If you want proper bass, you need a custom built sub enclosure, and min 10” sub (recommend 12” if you go through the effort).

The sad truth is that none of the factory sound systems produce a proper sound, but you can change that... Happy to share more details if you are interested...

Where do you go in Australia to get all these upgrades done? I find the B & O sound system in the M6 to be quite average. Their sound quality only seem to be slightly better than the old H/K on the w204 C63s and on par with the Burmeister in the W205 C63S. I have B/O on mine and looking to upgrade it sometime in the future.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 09:13 AM   #9
carl0s
Rep

I actually got the system sounding a bit better on a drive just now, but, I have ordered some Focal ES100Ks to be delivered tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have a go installing them at the weekend, although I have my xmas shopping to do too :-/
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 04:22 PM   #10
MelbourneFinn
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE7EN335 View Post
Where do you go in Australia to get all these upgrades done? I find the B & O sound system in the M6 to be quite average. Their sound quality only seem to be slightly better than the old H/K on the w204 C63s and on par with the Burmeister in the W205 C63S. I have B/O on mine and looking to upgrade it sometime in the future.
Not sure about Sydney, but my go-to place in Melbourne is Street Sound & Vision in Keilor Park. The guys know what they do, and nothing is too difficult. They can also think outside of the box when designing the system. If Melbourne is not an option for you, maybe call them (ask for Craig) and ask if they can recommend someone in Sydney. Also, if you happen to be in Melbourne, happy to show you what they did to my GC...
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 04:24 PM   #11
MelbourneFinn
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [9.00]
Quote:
I actually got the system sounding a bit better on a drive just now, but, I have ordered some Focal ES100Ks to be delivered tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have a go installing them at the weekend, although I have my xmas shopping to do too :-/
Keen to hear what the impact with the speakers only is... ES100Ks are exactly what I have - 2 pairs of them, in all doors...
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 05:02 PM   #12
carl0s
Rep

I'll report back once they're in!
I got it sounding pretty good today, but in order to get that brightness and clarity that I was after, it adds a lot of metallic raspiness. You wouldn't believe how much I have had to dial down the bass, both via the blanket 'bass' dial, and the low end of the e.q, and dial up the treble.

Anyway I'll report back. I hope I can be happy with it. I'm starting to worry that it's me, but I'm sure it's not. I'm in a chicken-and-egg situation - with headaches/earache and music enjoyment. All I know for sure is that when I listen on my speakers at home, I am satisfied. So that tells me it's not my ears at fault. I can't believe this car is making me doubt my ear health.

Last edited by carl0s; 12-21-2018 at 05:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 03:35 PM   #13
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

Sounds like I'm a bit late to the party, but depending on the year of your car, have you tried some high bitrate MP3s or FLAC files from flash drive via the USB port in the console? That may change your perception.

Also, dig down into the 'tone' settings of the B&O system and be sure you're not using 'studio' mode... select the 'expanded' (or whateverthehell they call it) mode, and use the EQ to adjust to your source material and/or preferences.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 03:41 PM   #14
carl0s
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatus View Post
Sounds like I'm a bit late to the party, but depending on the year of your car, have you tried some high bitrate MP3s or FLAC files from flash drive via the USB port in the console? That may change your perception.

Also, dig down into the 'tone' settings of the B&O system and be sure you're not using 'studio' mode... select the 'expanded' (or whateverthehell they call it) mode, and use the EQ to adjust to your source material and/or preferences.
Hi! Thanks very much for the suggestions! I have been using a usb stick now with 320kbps MP3. I'm happy that the compression/lossiness isn't the issue.

I have customised the settings endlessly and it's improved a bit but I really need to try these focals, especially for the tweeters. It was a bit rainy today though so I might not get them fitted for a couple of days now.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 04:32 PM   #15
MelbourneFinn
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [9.00]
Quote:
Hi! Thanks very much for the suggestions! I have been using a usb stick now with 320kbps MP3. I'm happy that the compression/lossiness isn't the issue.

I have customised the settings endlessly and it's improved a bit but I really need to try these focals, especially for the tweeters. It was a bit rainy today though so I might not get them fitted for a couple of days now.
320kbps MP3 is still pretty rubbish source quality, for reference try the same music from CD, or even lossless format over bluetooth... In a standard sound system (whether H/K or B&O) you may not experience much difference, but should hear better dynamics. In my custom system the difference is like night and day, to the extent that I no longer even have a USB stick in the car, the only “acceptable” sources are CD, and to some extent DAB (depends on the broadcast sound quality, I think some “non-mainstream channels play music off USBs)... Try the CD before you swap the tweeters so you can better validate the impact...
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 07:30 PM   #16
carl0s
Rep

Gonna have to disagree! 320kbps MP3 is very good quality with difficult to discern compression artifacts. That's definitely not my problem. My problem is one of clarity in the female vocal and snare drum area.
MP3 artifacts sound like wishy washy phaser/flanging of the highs. This isn't that.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 11:37 PM   #17
MelbourneFinn
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [9.00]
As I said, using standard sound systems the difference is not that notable, primarily you would hear lack of dynamics in music, kind of. If you ever get to Melbourne, look me up, I can organise a live demonstration of the difference when comparing same music from CD and ripped to USB (320 kbps) when the sound system is truly capable of producing identifiable differences...

Another possible thing that comes to mind - is there a possibility that the previous owner of your M6 has “burned” some of the tweeters? Maybe try the same USB in another similar vehicle - M6/6 series GC/M5/5 series with B&O - the sound system is nearly identical. Then again, when you get the Focals installed, you should hear an immediate improvement. Also, remember that the Focals need 100-200 hours of use to provide their best performance.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 06:52 PM   #18
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
320kbps MP3 is still pretty rubbish source quality, for reference try the same music from CD, or even lossless format over bluetooth...
How would one go about setting up lossless BT? For those of us with a CIC nav system, FLAC isn't supported, and phones have limited storage space. I'm wondering if it might be possible to set up a Raspberry Pi as a server and use either the WiFi or BT function to stream within the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 07:13 PM   #19
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: m6

i dont know about you guys but coming from a 2011 e93 m3 with the enhanced premium sound, my B/O is WORLDS better and I am beyond content. dont see myself every swapping it out for anything
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 09:05 PM   #20
MelbourneFinn
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [9.00]
Quote:
How would one go about setting up lossless BT? For those of us with a CIC nav system, FLAC isn't supported, and phones have limited storage space. I'm wondering if it might be possible to set up a Raspberry Pi as a server and use either the WiFi or BT function to stream within the car.
Use a “lossless” compatible mobile phone (most later model Apple and Samsung) and play over BT or plug the USB cable in?

I’m using CDs so not that kind of problem 😇
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 10:48 AM   #21
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Use a “lossless” compatible mobile phone (most later model Apple and Samsung) and play over BT or plug the USB cable in?

I’m using CDs so not that kind of problem ��
Quote:
... phones have limited storage space.
So, back to the question...

Quote:
I'm wondering if it might be possible to set up a Raspberry Pi as a server and use either the WiFi or BT function to stream within the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 12:00 PM   #22
carl0s
Rep

I replaced just the tweeters today, leaving the mids (the factory b and o mids were 297grams vs 200 ish for the focals and the focals didn't look like an easy fit.)

The difference in sound that swapping out these tweeters has made is quite incredible. I now barely have any e.q. applied at all. Just a tiny but on the high, whereas before I had loads of 'treble' and also the top three e.q. frequencies dialed up quite high.

I still have the low end dropped due to there being too much bass.

I'm happy with it now. It's an expensive set of tweeters since I've not used the crossovers or mids from the es100k set. I may look for more expensive tweeters and sell this Focal set on. I.e. buy standalone tweeters.

I made a video, but I haven't actually listened to the video to see if the phone microphone actually picked up the difference. I'll upload to YouTube and let you see if you can hear anything. Removing that first doorcars was much harder than I thought, but I got the hang of it now 😊
Appreciate 0