BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      02-08-2019, 03:58 AM   #1
6coupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

UK Safety Recall - EGR Cooler

I've had a letter today for a check / replacement of the EGR Cooler as part of a safety recall, as it states it could leak, causing;

Melting of the intake manifold and possible fire.

Symptoms may include;
  • Low coolant warning
  • check engine / drivetrain warnings
  • Loss of power
  • Exhaust smell while driving, whistling from engine
  • smoke from engine compartment

I've just had my EGR fail, and replaced at an indy, not sure if that's separate to the EGR cooler, all I know is my EGR was stuck open so I had power loss and engine light on.

The letter doesn't state what years, models, etc. are affected, mines a 2011 640d.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 04:31 AM   #2
Rob1910
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 Roadster 69

I'm pretty sure it's all f13 /f12/ f06 mine was a 13 build and was affected. The dealer carried out a visual inspection of the cooler, think the cooler is different to the egr.
Dealer said as a precaution all cars were being recalled but very few would require parts. They felt BMW were wanting all the cars checked to cover them.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 06:32 AM   #3
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640D GC and MX5 NC PRHT

The EGR valve and cooler used to be one item.

But following this kicking off the parts can be ordered individually.

The valve allows the gasses in, the cooler well cools them before they enter the inlet manifold.

The EGR cooler if you lift the bonnet, take the engine acoustic cover off and pull the noise insulation at the front of the engine is the big metal shiny "brick" thing at the top of the engine at the top. The EGR valve is at least in part that you can easily see the black plastic cylinder bit on the left of the cooler.

In essence the cooler fails allowing coolant to enter into the inlet manifold eventually mixing with carbon that will have come from the EGR valve gasses coming back round. Because there is no solvent in there these build up and combine with the coolant? you get a mess, combine that with heat though more so at DPF regeneration time then you can have a nicely melting inlet manifold made of plastic and as BMW have previously put it a "thermal event".

Regarding the age of cars it seems never ending. But there is a lot of cars to do parts are scarce in some cases as well not helping things.

Either way the EGR valves/coolers on the N57 (and B47 for that matter) are known weak points. In honesty they all are across any vehicle.

The issue is that this issue is not particularly obvious until it properly becomes an issue (unless you are watching coolant use etc.) or smoke coming from the exhaust due to coolant entering the engine and exhaust system.

Honestly of all those symptoms mentioned -
Low coolant warning - the first proper sign you have the issue!
check engine / drivetrain warnings - rarely heard this one and this is part of the issue there is little obvious signs before the issue makes it self known
Loss of power
Exhaust smell while driving, whistling from engine
smoke from engine compartment

They forgot the smoke from the exhaust...
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 03:51 PM   #4
DE4NO
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 640d f13 alpine white

I also received a recall letter the other day. Thought this only affected later models but seems it’s all of them now. Taking it in to BMW next week to get it checked over. Mine is a 2011.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 02:24 AM   #5
sobanoodle
Rep
Drives: F06

Wonder if this will happen in NZ too...
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 03:42 AM   #6
512cello
Rep
Drives: 640 gran coupe xdrive

Recall

Took my 2015 640d gran coupe xdrive to Belgium dealer for regular maintenance on monday, After inspection they decided to change EGR cooler under warranty as safety recall. Should be ready again somewhere next week.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 04:23 AM   #7
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DE4NO View Post
I also received a recall letter the other day. Thought this only affected later models but seems it’s all of them now. Taking it in to BMW next week to get it checked over. Mine is a 2011.
Could you PM me your dealer name?

My dealer in Kingston next appointment is middle of May :O
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 03:44 PM   #8
6coupe
Private First Class
Rep

Mine's booked in for end of March. I had to laugh at them saying it's a safety recall then taking 6wks to check it.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 05:33 AM   #9
DE4NO
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 640d f13 alpine white

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6coupe View Post
Mine's booked in for end of March. I had to laugh at them saying it's a safety recall then taking 6wks to check it.
Same here. 28th March earliest booking I can get. Girl on the reception told me if I get any symptoms in the mean time call this emergency number at bmw.......”hi is that BMW emergency?.........my car’s on fire can you help?.....”
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 11:25 AM   #10
elvisisdog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 MSport 2013/09

Quickest check is to open the coolant cover and see if your loosing coolant (obviously when cold). Mine had symptoms but had the work done last year. Got given a 6gt as courtesy car, nearly threw the keys back at them.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 05:48 PM   #11
a.s.uk
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F13 640d M sport

Quote:
I've had a letter today for a check / replacement of the EGR Cooler as part of a safety recall, as it states it could leak, causing;

Melting of the intake manifold and possible fire.

Symptoms may include;
  • Low coolant warning
  • check engine / drivetrain warnings
  • Loss of power
  • Exhaust smell while driving, whistling from engine
  • smoke from engine compartment

I've just had my EGR fail, and replaced at an indy, not sure if that's separate to the EGR cooler, all I know is my EGR was stuck open so I had power loss and engine light on.

The letter doesn't state what years, models, etc. are affected, mines a 2011 640d.

Thanks
If you had the job done at BMW, which you didn't...( neither would I for that matter..) they would now refund you for the cooler that was fitted...but you may struggle with that now...
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 04:49 PM   #12
Kernow King
Rep
Drives: 640d GC

Garage List
2013 640d GC  [0.00]
Unhappy Other parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJA59 View Post
The EGR valve and cooler used to be one item.

But following this kicking off the parts can be ordered individually.

The valve allows the gasses in, the cooler well cools them before they enter the inlet manifold.

The EGR cooler if you lift the bonnet, take the engine acoustic cover off and pull the noise insulation at the front of the engine is the big metal shiny "brick" thing at the top of the engine at the top. The EGR valve is at least in part that you can easily see the black plastic cylinder bit on the left of the cooler.

In essence the cooler fails allowing coolant to enter into the inlet manifold eventually mixing with carbon that will have come from the EGR valve gasses coming back round. Because there is no solvent in there these build up and combine with the coolant? you get a mess, combine that with heat though more so at DPF regeneration time then you can have a nicely melting inlet manifold made of plastic and as BMW have previously put it a "thermal event".

Regarding the age of cars it seems never ending. But there is a lot of cars to do parts are scarce in some cases as well not helping things.

Either way the EGR valves/coolers on the N57 (and B47 for that matter) are known weak points. In honesty they all are across any vehicle.

The issue is that this issue is not particularly obvious until it properly becomes an issue (unless you are watching coolant use etc.) or smoke coming from the exhaust due to coolant entering the engine and exhaust system.

Honestly of all those symptoms mentioned -
Low coolant warning - the first proper sign you have the issue!
check engine / drivetrain warnings - rarely heard this one and this is part of the issue there is little obvious signs before the issue makes it self known
Loss of power
Exhaust smell while driving, whistling from engine
smoke from engine compartment

They forgot the smoke from the exhaust...
My 640d went in 12 days ago; still no parts. I asked the tech if it was worth replacing the EGR as they had stated it was the worse they had seen! They said no.... My car displayed smoke; emissions light and coolant light the week after I got the recall!! What do you think...if they are rummaging around is it worth replacing as surely the EGR valve has had coolant leak into it so must be full of gunk?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 05:00 PM   #13
Kernow King
Rep

Garage List
2013 640d GC  [0.00]
Question Available units

Quote:
Thought I just read on here that Ash Vale Surrey had 147 units for 640d ..I’m going to ask my dealership in Cornwall if they can give them a call! Mine went in 12 days ago on the back of a recovery vehicle after all the symptoms manifested themselves one week after I got the recall 🧐 I called twice so far for updates and no parts on the horizon!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 05:28 AM   #14
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Had my 640d done 4 years ago and 335d done last month, most dealers have parts on back order so car can be off the road for a week or 2, as its safety recall BMW is obliged to put you in a hire car for duration of works.

This has been a known issue for years
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 01:24 PM   #15
6coupe
Private First Class
Rep

Mine went in this monday and I've been in an Insignia this week courtesy of BMW. No updates on when I'll get it back.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 08:25 PM   #16
Danny111
Rep
Drives: 640d

MY 604D on 14 plate has gone got a rubbish volvo v40
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 03:36 PM   #17
Kernow King
Rep

Garage List
2013 640d GC  [0.00]
Exclamation V40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny111 View Post
MY 604D on 14 plate has gone got a rubbish volvo v40
Exactly what they put me into at Ocean Falmouth. The guy who delivered it had the nerve to add it was a R Design!

I have contacted BMW UK and asked for something bigger... they are gettin* back to me...

They have had mine for 18 days with still no sign of a replacement unit!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 04:02 PM   #18
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
Have you guys seen the thread over on f30bimmerpost?

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1536814

The egr thing is an absolute shitstorm.

Affects all diesels from about 2012 to 2015 ish, maybe 2016.

Huge delays in getting it done at dealers. 2 ltr engine parts are more readily available than the larger 6 pot engine parts.

If you’ve been told your car will be done in a few weeks, it’s probably bullshit. Honestly, it took until 1st week in dec for the egr cooler to come in for ours. Then they had no fitting kit for it, as that was on worldwide back order with no dates. To then top it off, bmw had made the somewhat gargantuan fuck up of issuing uk dealerships with list of part numbers for th parts needed for various models......except they cocked the part numbers on the list up, so a number of cars had bits delivered eventually that were the wrong part.....yes our was one of them, so got told 27th dec that they’d now placed the order for the right part.

Our 530dGT was at coopers in Cobham from with sept 2018 until end feb 2019, and even then had to go back again because they’d put piss weak coolant into the system, so needed to be drained and refilled.

Oh, and don’t go expecting a like for like replacement while they keep your car off the road for months either, you’ll get what your given or what your local enterprise hire has to offer that is a bmw or a mini (as they are not allowed to give out anything BMW consider a competitor). Bmw uk will feed you some coorporate bullshit line about “keeping you safe and mobile, but not offering a like for like replacement” while your car is held in quarantine indefinitely with no indication of when it will get done.

Was a proper wind up.

Last edited by Russbmw; 04-02-2019 at 04:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 12:38 PM   #19
6coupe
Private First Class
Rep

On the thread you linked to it mentioned needing to code the new part and losing remaps etc. I haven't read the full thread but I specifically told BMW not to flash and code as the car is remapped. They called to confirm and didn't say they had to code it so I'm hoping not. As I'll have been in a slow Insignia for X weeks before getting the car back I'm not sure I'd know if the remap was there or not, as it's going to feel like a rocket ship regardless. Not sure how I could check if they flashed it and lost the remap either.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 05:42 PM   #20
Kernow King
Rep

Garage List
2013 640d GC  [0.00]
Exclamation Recall

Mines been in since the the 16 March; with no date to return, no sign of parts so I’m not expecting it back anytime soon!

My dealership said they are getting through them quicker now with shipment parts arriving daily.

However I was told at the outset (having been recovered there) that the parts were specific to the vehicle by VIN. To be honest that sounds like a crock to me as a 640d is a 640d engine.

But I guess any excuse to cover the delay is a good one, when I’m less than impressed with my Volvo V40 rental!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 08:40 AM   #21
6coupe
Private First Class
Rep

I just had that conversation too, parts ordered to your VIN...

They hope I'll get the car back this month, but no promises.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 02:01 PM   #22
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
The new part will need coding.

They didn't code it on ours, they then took it for the mot and it failed because the eml was on.

Coded the part properly, eml cleared.
Appreciate 0