BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

10-03-2018, 09:11 PM   #1
Vorpel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Infiniti G35x

Powder coating brakes calipers...

I've done a bit of reading on painting vs. Powder coating. I think I'm leaning towards powder coating due to the fact that I can't find anyone locally in southern Idaho that will paint them (and they seem to look better imo). I know some people do it themselves, but I've watched enough how-to videos to know that I'm not comfortable doing this myself (caliper disassembly, powder coating or painting).

My question is - my local powder coating company has quoted me $500 to fully clean, file down and powder coat all 4 calipers. They work with a foreign car repair shop that does the removal of the break calipers, stores the car while the powder coating is happening and then they reassemble with new gaskets/seals and warranty their work. Unfortunately they charge $700 including the parts to do this. That brings the total to $1200. That seems pretty high to me, but from what I've seen on YouTube this is a pretty involved process and as I'm not car mechanically inclined having a guarantee/warranty for the work is a must.

Is this way out of line for this, or in the ballpark?

Thanks for taking the time to read!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 10:16 PM   #2
Keysersoze819
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5M

I was quoted $1400 by proformance here in NY and that was paint. I was quoted $600 by intrack in NY for powder coat and $300 for paint
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 10:25 PM   #3
Vorpel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysersoze819 View Post
I was quoted $1400 by proformance here in NY and that was paint. I was quoted $600 by intrack in NY for powder coat and $300 for paint
Thanks for the reply! Were the quotes you received including the removal, cleaning and re-install?

The quote I was given was more than I thought it would be but if it is fair then I will have to bite the bullet and get it done!

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 03:07 AM   #4
DerBosewicht
Problem Solver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorpel View Post
Thanks for the reply! Were the quotes you received including the removal, cleaning and re-install?

The quote I was given was more than I thought it would be but if it is fair then I will have to bite the bullet and get it done!

Thanks again!
That is in the ballpark of a proper paint job.
Proper meaning- removal, cleaning and re-install, coat or paint.
I have had my brakes painted for years using various methods.
It can run from a $10 up to a $2000 job depending on how fancy you want to go. I would say decide on how long and how you want them to be that color, it is definitely and investment though... a good one no matter what route you choose.
Appreciate 1
Vorpel47.00
      10-04-2018, 06:01 AM   #5
Vorpel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerBosewicht View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorpel View Post

Thanks again!
That is in the ballpark of a proper paint job.
Proper meaning- removal, cleaning and re-install, coat or paint.
I have had my brakes painted for years using various methods.
It can run from a $10 up to a $2000 job depending on how fancy you want to go. I would say decide on how long and how you want them to be that color, it is definitely and investment though... a good one no matter what route you choose.
Thanks for the reply and good to know that my estimate is in the ballpark!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 04:17 PM   #6
Havy
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

I have not input for the costs but the cleaning is mandatory in any case. I have painted my caliper several times (different cars) with different products. For normal good job I would go for the brush 2C system. In my cases it was a high gloss red/ blue and black. When the wheel is mounted you can’t see the difference between painted by a pro / powder coated or brushed by diy. Before I spend 1200$+ for colored calipers......
Appreciate 1
Vorpel47.00
      10-04-2018, 04:48 PM   #7
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 650ix Coupe, 23 C8 Vette

I think you meant the G2 paint product.

Google:

G2 High Temperature Brake Caliper Paint System

Used it on two Corvettes and it looked very good. It's a 2 part epoxy paint that when brushed on smooths out by itself eliminating "brush" marks.

Here is what I said on a Corvette site:

Not only is the G2 kit a hardening epoxy paint, it's also high temp made for brake calipers. These were done three years ago and look like the day I did them. Just buy a set of small artist brushes instead of the useless one that comes with the kit. I did mine without removing the calipers from the car. Mix half the paint and do two and then mix the rest and do the other two. I bought two kits but think you could probably do it with one.

[IMG][/IMG]
Appreciate 1
Havy303.00
      10-04-2018, 04:52 PM   #8
Vorpel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe View Post
I think you meant the G2 paint product.

Google:

G2 High Temperature Brake Caliper Paint System

Used it on two Corvettes and it looked very good. It's a 2 part epoxy paint that when brushed on smooths out by itself eliminating "brush" marks.

Here is what I said on a Corvette site:

Not only is the G2 kit a hardening epoxy paint, it's also high temp made for brake calipers. These were done three years ago and look like the day I did them. Just buy a set of small artist brushes instead of the useless one that comes with the kit. I did mine without removing the calipers from the car. Mix half the paint and do two and then mix the rest and do the other two. I bought two kits but think you could probably do it with one.

[IMG][/IMG]
Thanks for the replies. I'll see what I can find video-wise for this G2 system you reference. I don't want to spend the money but I can if I need to and feel that I won't get it done correctly...!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 04:57 PM   #9
Havy
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe View Post
I think you meant the G2 paint product
Of course I mixed it up with the exhaust paint.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 05:00 PM   #10
Havy
Captain
Germany
Rep

Here is one. Subtitle is English.
Appreciate 1
Vorpel47.00
      10-23-2018, 12:36 PM   #11
Vorpel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havy View Post
I have not input for the costs but the cleaning is mandatory in any case. I have painted my caliper several times (different cars) with different products. For normal good job I would go for the brush 2C system. In my cases it was a high gloss red/ blue and black. When the wheel is mounted you can’t see the difference between painted by a pro / powder coated or brushed by diy. Before I spend 1200$+ for colored calipers......
Huge thanks to Havy and Walt. Your advice to check out the G2 brake caliper painting was spot on! Saved me a bundle of money and I actually had fun with it! Now if my wife will figure out what color she wants her F15 done in, I'll get that done as well!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 01:14 PM   #12
Havy
Captain
Germany
Rep

That sounds great, please keep us posted on that. And don’t forget to make some pics.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 01:17 PM   #13
Vorpel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havy View Post
That sounds great, please keep us posted on that. And don't forget to make some pics.
Lol - will do. Pics are in another thread but why not add them here as well...!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 01:20 PM   #14
Vorpel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

And pics on the car
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 01:22 PM   #15
Vorpel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

The mobile app wasn't liking a lot of pics, so here are the last three
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 01:33 PM   #16
Havy
Captain
Germany
Rep

The pics on the car I have seen in the other thread but the close up are pretty nice. You really did a very good job. if you do the calipers of your wife’s car she will be very happy.
Appreciate 1
Vorpel47.00