BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

01-29-2023, 07:25 AM   #1
scubachris
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw f13 640d

bmw pearl paint,tanzanite blue in my case,can not be propperly matched.

hi.my car is 2017 640d individual tanzanite blue pearl.
there a a few stonechips i would like painting,last owner touched them up but did not flat them back corectly and laquer is getting thin.
the issue i have is the car looks different colours due to the pearl.e.g..if on a dull day you stand next to the car it looks dark blue,easy to match..if you look on an angle,i.e.stood at the back of the car looking towards the front then the car looks dark blue with a definate hue of dark purple.this is easy to match too.
if it is a bright sunny day and you are looking square on at the car it appears a mid blue with huge metalic yellow and blue flecks.almost as big as metal flake or glitter.this state is easy to match too....
the big problem is looking at the car on a sunny day and looking at an angle...in this state the car appears as mid purple/pinky colour..due to the pearl flip...my paint shop and 6 diferent manufacturers of paint are unable to replicate this state..also if its sunny an you look at the bonnet from the drivers side it looks totally different if you look from the passenger side..
we have done 11 spray outs.these are postcard sized pieces of thin tin that are painted as you would the car then held against the car for comparison.
we have tried colour code samples from pro spray.max meyer.de beers.i even managed to get bmw glasurite paint from a bmw dealership bodyshop,,we also have scanned the car with a scanner,that came up as best match was a honda colour,and after putting all the diferent spray outs on the car the honda colour was the best match !!
the only problem with all the spray outs was non went light purple.pinky on the angle in bright sun.even the honda colour only had maybe 20% enough pink flip.
the spray shop owner,who supplied the debeers paint said he got a 3 year old porche in similar colour pearl to mine.he did 9 spray outs and told the owner he couldnt do the job as he couldnt match it well enough to blend it in.
this seems to be a problem nowadays with pearls..
i had a black saphire metalic non pearl 335d lci,that had 7 shades of the colour code,but matched up perfectly,my tanzanite blue has only one shade but cant match the flip.
my last 640d was deep sea blue,onlly one shade listed,it is pearl also,but that matched perfectly.
iv spent £200 in spray outs,we even tryed altering the formula slightly,but that never works with pearls.the onlt thing i can do is wait for a software update for the scanner and see if a beter match comes up...gutted.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 07:32 AM   #2
scubachris
Private
Rep

also,tanzanite blue is an individual colour,which means unlike robots that spray standard colours its a person who weighs out the tinters and mixes the paint..if he is just one gram out of spec with just one of the tinters then essentially it is a custom colour and cant be matched.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 08:59 AM   #3
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

How do you know that the color is mixed manually just because it's individual? I find that hard to believe. I would assume BMW has computerized mixing equipment just like anyplace that sells house paint these days. That's totally different than how it is applied - robots or hand sprayed. My car is also Deep Sea Blue and as you know it also has what I call the "purple haze" that appears to almost float over the paint in certain lights. Only my bumpers have been repainted, but because of where they are located I can never tell if that paint exhibits that same effect. I will also say that in all the threads I've seen about tanzanite I don't recall anybody calling it pearl.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 09:38 AM   #4
scubachris
Private
Rep

the mechanic who looks after my car used to work at bmw factory in germany...individual colours are mixed and applied by humans.hence the extra £2500 price..
and if you look up bmw tanzanite paint it is always tanzanite blue pearl ! yours is pearl too ...i guess you didnt realise but pearl is the pearl drops added to the mix that gives the car the "pearlescent" colour change. non pearl colours dont exhibit this colour change/flip characteristic.
Appreciate 0