BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

04-15-2020, 02:44 PM   #23
alehax
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 640d

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer12 View Post
Lol you may be the most interesting person on here now

On another note, a lot more variety in the owners than I would have thought, very cool topic.
Ops. Manager - Sports Stadium
Worked on cruise ships in my late 20's early 30's...
Appreciate 2
Frupal788.50
jjasonSU194.00
      04-15-2020, 04:30 PM   #24
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Great thread. I am glad you started it, Frupal! I was the other person that Frupal was communicating with.

Cars are the single biggest material purchase we make (homes are more in line with real estate as opposed to a material purchase). I've observed the psychological factors that contribute to the purchase of cars since I was in grade school. Every decision we make is a reflection of our personality. Our personality is a culmination of environmental influences, experiences, and genetic predisposition.

The 6-series is an interesting car. Some view it as an impractical, overpriced, and problematic car. Others view it as shear beauty. I found that fans of the 6 series are very technologically or scientifically inclined but are also rooted in some type of art. This might help explain their affection to the 6 series which is a amalgamation of technology, performance, engineering, and one of the best expressions of automotive art any modern daily driver has seen.

Based on some of the replies here, it seems that many of the owners have some type of technological or science background and are also artistically or musically inclined (or vice versa). Even though this is a small sample size, it does support the idea that 6-series owners are little different. Their left and right brain work in synchrony. We don't conform to the standard norms and we kind of march to the beat of our own drummer.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 1
JBF650115.50
      04-15-2020, 04:51 PM   #25
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Quote:
Lol you may be the most interesting person on here now

On another note, a lot more variety in the owners than I would have thought, very cool topic.
Idk about all that! But I have had a fun life. What I’ve noticed is that almost all of the owners have interesting jobs or are creating their own work. Just as I thought! 6 series owners are a breed apart!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 04:53 PM   #26
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
Great thread. I am glad you started it, Frupal! I was the other person that Frupal was communicating with.

Cars are the single biggest material purchase we make (homes are more in line with real estate as opposed to a material purchase). I've observed the psychological factors that contribute to the purchase of cars since I was in grade school. Every decision we make is a reflection of our personality. Our personality is a culmination of environmental influences, experiences, and genetic predisposition.

The 6-series is an interesting car. Some view it as an impractical, overpriced, and problematic car. Others view it as shear beauty. I found that fans of the 6 series are very technologically or scientifically inclined but are also rooted in some type of art. This might help explain their affection to the 6 series which is a amalgamation of technology, performance, engineering, and one of the best expressions of automotive art any modern daily driver has seen.

Based on some of the replies here, it seems that many of the owners have some type of technological or science background and are also artistically or musically inclined (or vice versa). Even though this is a small sample size, it does support the idea that 6-series owners are little different. Their left and right brain work in synchrony. We don't conform to the standard norms and we kind of march to the beat of our own drummer.

Thoughts?

Well said! And thanks for planting the seed for this thread! I don’t know what I could add to what you’ve laid out so well!

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 05:03 PM   #27
bimmer12
Private
Rep
Drives: F06 650xi GC

Quote:
Cars are the single biggest material purchase we make (homes are more in line with real estate as opposed to a material purchase).
Hey, speak for yourself, some of us have private jets
No, I am not some of us...

Quote:

Thoughts?
I've noticed this also, although I don't myself fall into this category, as I'm in finance. I did first fall in love with the 6 when the modern iteration first launched (just before entering high school I believe), when I was much more artistically and musically inclined, and was considering going into tech or engineering. So perhaps your theory holds to some degree even in my case. It would be fascinating to see a statistically meaningful sample size.
Appreciate 1
Frupal788.50
      04-15-2020, 07:27 PM   #28
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Quote:
Hey, speak for yourself, some of us have private jets
No, I am not some of us...
I was literally going to put in parentheses "except for private jets and yachts" but I thought no one here was going to bring those up! Now buying a yacht or a private jet is definitely a reflection on someone's personality!

Quote:
I've noticed this also, although I don't myself fall into this category, as I'm in finance. I did first fall in love with the 6 when the modern iteration first launched (just before entering high school I believe), when I was much more artistically and musically inclined, and was considering going into tech or engineering. So perhaps your theory holds to some degree even in my case. It would be fascinating to see a statistically meaningful sample size.
I would think that finance is a relatively mathematical field, correct?
Appreciate 2
Frupal788.50
      04-15-2020, 08:04 PM   #29
TGG
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i xDrive

Garage List
Head of Corp Marketing and Comms for financial services provider. Play the piano and enjoy interior design.

This is an interesting thread!
Appreciate 1
Frupal788.50
      04-15-2020, 08:38 PM   #30
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frupal View Post
Very interesting, EZ! You seem like an interesting and good person to know. And thanks for your kind words about the video. There are several others on YouTube and a bunch of original stuff on SoundCloud if you are inclined to listen.

I started this thread after another member posited that 6 owners constituted a more creative/alternative group, a different ‘matrix’ as he put it. I am seeing a lot of creative and independent people here. I have often heard that writing code and music are very similar.

My career as a violinist has taken me all over the world in addition to burying me in the Los Angeles recording studios for about 25 years. I’ve been lucky enough to perform on over 1200 major motion pictures and record with everyone from Andrea Bocelli to Lady Gaga. I also opened for Olivia Newton-John’s 2001 world tour as a solo artist with some of my original music.

Until about six weeks ago I was semi-retired, mostly working at the Hollywood Bowl as principal second violin, but it looks like this year it will be dark at the Hollywood Bowl.

As to how this all relates to the 6 GC, all I can say is that when I first saw the car I fell in love immediately. It was like great music and code had been conjoined and manifested into a 4600 pound work of art. At the time I had been determined to get a 540d. I test drove several of them and was seduced by all of that low end grunt. Upon returning from a test drive, we parked next to the 640 GC that I ultimately bought. I had never seen one before. Which was another reason I bought her. Here in LA, 5 series are quite common. I only see other 6s about once a week. I also get random compliments on the 6. I doubt that would have happened with a 5 series. They are indisputably great cars, but lack, imho, the panache that the 6 has in spades.

When I was a kid, I once wished that every day could be Saturday. Now that I’ve got all Saturdays I wish I’d been more careful with my wishes. Lol! I know you already are, but continue to stay safe and healthy and enjoy these months of Saturdays.

Robin
Thanks Robin - feeling is mutual. I'm sure many here would love to see more of your performances, so let's have those links!

Quote:

Thoughts?
I think you and Robin were definitely on to something here. For anyone who's spent time in product management, you're probably familiar with the buyer profiling process that goes on when building an "offering" or product. I'd be curious to see those buyer personas for the 6 series from BMW's product management. I wouldn't be surprised if it's exactly as you suspect.

As you suggest, I think they're targeting those people who are technically inclined enough to appreciate those aspects of the car, but the "emotional" aspects, especially at a $20k - $30k+ premium over a 5 series, require an owner who's going to be "a little different" as you put it.
Appreciate 1
Frupal788.50
      04-15-2020, 08:52 PM   #31
936F06
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Industrial Technician, I work with flame cutting tables and plasma cutting tables. Cut out parts clean and ship out. Also favorite part is cutting out gear racks for the and cleaning them by hand for the oil field.
Appreciate 1
Frupal788.50
      04-15-2020, 09:07 PM   #32
JBF650
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F13 LCI 650i Coupe

National Sales Mgr for corporate global waste mgmt business. The tech and capital investment involved in waste and water recycling and treatment is very interesting to me and obviously worthwhile for us all!
Like most of you, I have my 6 series because the overall package to me was unbeatable. Achingly beautiful to look at, exciting to drive without being terrifying and a safe, fast and comfortable DD. Its all I could ever want in a DD at this point.

I concur great thread Frupal!
Appreciate 1
Frupal788.50
      04-16-2020, 07:46 AM   #33
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBF650 View Post
National Sales Mgr for corporate global waste mgmt business. The tech and capital investment involved in waste and water recycling and treatment is very interesting to me and obviously worthwhile for us all!
Like most of you, I have my 6 series because the overall package to me was unbeatable. Achingly beautiful to look at, exciting to drive without being terrifying and a safe, fast and comfortable DD. Its all I could ever want in a DD at this point.

I concur great thread Frupal!
Here, here!! And Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 01:34 PM   #34
bimmer12
Private
Rep
Drives: F06 650xi GC

Quote:
I would think that finance is a relatively mathematical field, correct?
Yeah I suppose you could say that, although I'm sure engineers would laugh at the kind of math most of us do. I may be an outlier to this anyway since I've at one point or other been interested in just about everything lol
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 01:37 PM   #35
FinalRenegade
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M6 GranCoupe | Last Model Year

Corporate Finance Team Lead for a Fortune 500 Tech company, lots of spreadsheet work, meetings, and general bureaucracy hahaha, but hey it puts gas in my car and still in my mid 20s, cant complain

All younglings in my team of 6, love the atmosphere

Great thread
Appreciate 1
Frupal788.50
      04-16-2020, 02:54 PM   #36
BmwF06Ireland
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw f06

Car : 640d
Colour:moonstone
Trim: msport LCI

I workwork for a very large seattle based IT company.
My area is building the cloud
Based in europe
Appreciate 1
Frupal788.50
      04-16-2020, 03:57 PM   #37
tree
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6

Interesting thread!

Looks like I am the first Doctor to reply.
I park in several different hospital parking lots, lots of nice cars, but very few 6ers.
Appreciate 1
Frupal788.50
      04-16-2020, 04:34 PM   #38
TGG
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frupal View Post
Quote:
Wow this is interesting AF. I picked it up really quickly in grade school, tried a few times to pick it back up as an adult and failed miserably. Gotta learn young like anything else I suppose.
Oh cool! Well, the violin is one of the hardest to start. Everybody sounds like a strangling, angry cat at first. Lol! Here’s a link to one of my performances.

Outstanding! Nothing like the violin nor piano.
Appreciate 1
Frupal788.50
      04-16-2020, 04:52 PM   #39
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree View Post
Interesting thread!

Looks like I am the first Doctor to reply.
I park in several different hospital parking lots, lots of nice cars, but very few 6ers.
You're the second to reply
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 05:10 PM   #40
Luftpost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 650 GC, E39’s, X70, X1

Quote:
Now buying a yacht or a private jet is definitely a reflection on someone's personality!
Or business savviness. Yes, I'm biased.

L
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 06:42 PM   #41
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

I work in IT and am a client manager which most days is like Tom from Office Space bouncing between customers, our quotedesk, techs, accounts, etc but also selling some super cool projects and getting new clients onboard, handling relationship with vendors etc.

We have ~500 businesses we look after and they range in size from about 10 to about 500 staff across every industry so there is a huge variety in the work we do.

The M6 is super uncommon here as it is 1 of 1 facelift F13 M6 and 1 of 1 comp pack F06/12/13 M6 full stop and 1 of 16 sold here ever. I do sometimes park down the road when I'm going to see new customers but I also have fantastic chats with clients about cars, go for drives with them, have even been to a track day with a client.

Last edited by brad850csi; 04-16-2020 at 06:47 PM..
Appreciate 1
Frupal788.50
      04-16-2020, 06:45 PM   #42
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwF06Ireland View Post
Car : 640d
Colour:moonstone
Trim: msport LCI

I workwork for a very large seattle based IT company.
My area is building the cloud
Based in europe
Microsoft Azure guy
      04-16-2020, 08:01 PM   #43
tree
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6

Quote:
You're the second to reply
My apologies. I must not have read all the posts as carefully as I should have.
I hope you are staying safe.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 08:21 PM   #44
stmoore01
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xdrive GC - 2001 330ci

I had to add a little information to why I fell in love with the 6 series. I worked 18 years for Bang & Olufsen in various positions for the North American NSO. During one stint I was the key account manager for North American Automotive where is spent most my time promoting the sound systems in Audi, AMG Mercedes, Aston Martin and BMW. I spent a fair amount of time in dealerships teaching salesmen and general managers that people truly would spend $4-6K to have a really great sound system and how to present and demo the system to reinforce the investment and create value.

I have owned many 5 series and when they announced they were rolling out the newly redesigned 6 series and that it would feature our high end B&O system I was of course intrigued. I was fortunate enough to be included in the Press launch event out in Santa Barbara back in 2012 where they had roughly 20 cars mostly equipped with our B&O system and I was given the opportunity to speak to the press about the system and the importance of high end audio, amongst the target group. I definitely fell in love with the 6 series that week.

A couple years later I was traveling with the BMW training manager in Florida where he had the first 650xdrive GC in the country brought in to use for our trainings. It was debadged since the formal announcement had not been made yet but a few of the really attentive sales people noticed. We were heading back to Fort Lauderdale from West Palm Beach keeping up with the flow of traffic when a Lexus blew by us and my counterpart muttered "no way". He downshifted and we were on the Lexus in seconds, the feel of that raw linear power had me hooked.

Unfortunately I had to wait a few more years before I could realize my dream but there's no going back now, picked up my 2014 650GC xdrive fully loaded - B&O system of course - about 2 years ago.
Appreciate 2
Frupal788.50