BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

03-31-2006, 09:46 PM   #23
NJjustin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 330i W/Sport

any man who needs a stickshift vehicle to feel manly is lacking in other areas. lol
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2006, 08:29 AM   #24
SteveMD
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 535i MSport

I would have bought a stick in an instant had it not been wifey's daily ride. You have more control over the car period, especially in spirited driving.

The next one will be a manual.

An auto is a waste in a car like this. I don't care how much traffic you find yourself in. If you learn how to drive a stick properly, how to up shift, how to downshift, how to heel and toe, you will never go back to a slushbox.

The rest of the world is specifically taught how to drive a manual. Unfortunatley in the US, show up to the DMV with a pulse and you are given a license to drive.

I have never driven an SMG so I reserve judgement there. I like a clutch though.
2016 F10 535i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2006, 12:00 PM   #25
JO3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a lot

Thats why I'm teaching my girl how to drive stick. She's already learning to blip the throttle on downshift

No more auto's in this family!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2006, 12:31 PM   #26
Neil
The Designer
Rep
Drives: Nissan

Have never driven stick and don't intend to. I want to get in my car and drive not dick around changing gears and using a clutch in traffic every day. It is getting to the point anyways (Audi A3 as an example) where Autos are more efficient and easier to use than manuals so there will be no point soon enough other than saying you are "more manly" for driving one. What a joke.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2006, 12:51 PM   #27
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
...there will be no point soon enough other than saying you are "more manly" for driving one. What a joke.
While I respect your personal preference to drive an automatic, the above statement was ludicrous, bordering on moronic. Sounds like the statement of a Buick driver. Or perhaps aspiring Buick driver, as I see you drive a ... Nissan???
      04-02-2006, 12:54 PM   #28
CnoteMD
Commander in Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
I think the biggest misconception is that a manual transmission requires such intense concentration. I don't consider this being macho, but I do like to have full control over my car.

I first learned to drive on an automatic (got my learners permit when I was 15, full license at 16). But when I bought my first car in college, I got a manual transmission. I was taking a few extra summer classes at the time and there is nothing more motivating to learning a manual than a 15 mile drive to an early morning physics exam!

I left an hour earlier than usual and started on my drive. Sure I stalled a few times, but I made it there (myself and the car) in one piece. Within a couple of days, I noticed that I didn't have to think about the clutch and shifting as much. After a week, I didn't have to think about the manual aspect of the car at all.

Now I have been driving a manual car for about 12 years and I have gotten so accustomed to it that I have to concentrate more to drive an automatic. I do about 60-70% of my driving in NYC traffic and I don't find it difficult at all. The nice thing is that I can creep along in heavy traffic and hardly use the brake. I can leave the car in first or second gear and use fine control of the throttle. And for the the other 30-40% of the time when I get an open road, I know I made the right choice in getting a manual.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2006, 01:07 PM   #29
Neil
The Designer
Rep
Drives: Nissan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC
While I respect your personal preference to drive an automatic, the above statement was ludicrous, bordering on moronic. Sounds like the statement of a Buick driver. Or perhaps aspiring Buick driver, as I see you drive a ... Nissan???
The Nissan comment was expected on this board, was just waiting for it. I was pre-warned on other forums.

Yeah I am similar in that I really can care less if you drive a stick if that is what you want to do. I don't see what is moronic however, if the point is reached where an automatic is more efficient than a manual then what is the point of the manual? The whole point now is that manuals get better gas mileage and are quicker shifting than the automatic counterparts which is a valid argument. However when those two points become moot (which is already happening) then what is the argument for buying a standard other than for the sake of driving the standard? Is it just to keep your other leg and arm busy?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2006, 02:29 PM   #30
E90-4life
auto pilot
Rep
Drives: E60 M5 chilln on slicks

I think there are reasonable arguments for both sides of this discussion, however it all comes down to personal choice, what best suits your needs.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2006, 06:21 PM   #31
donger274
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: honda

i almost rear ended someone on a stop traffic because i was driving my friends car for awhile and drove my automatic and didnt even know i was creeping

and i looked stupid looking for the clutch in my car subconciously
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2006, 09:20 PM   #32
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
I don't see what is moronic however, if the point is reached where an automatic is more efficient than a manual then what is the point of the manual?
Wow, you just don't get it at all. It's about the driving experience, driver involvement with the car, control, and dare I say, FUN.
      04-02-2006, 10:15 PM   #33
schnuppica
Don't hate yourself in the morning - sleep till noon
Germany
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Being European always drove manual - came to NA and last car was an auto (beause of the wife) - she drove it 8 times during that time - stupid me should have taking a cab ... my current one is back to manual again. This choice has nothing to do with being a man or not, just what you prefer. If you know how to drive a stick choose it ... if not, the auto is just fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2006, 11:33 PM   #34
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

stick shift is cool and fun at times. I got stuck in traffic with it a few times and that pretty much convinced me to get an Auto.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2006, 12:07 AM   #35
JO3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethirtynine
You can still have all those with an automatic
Not really.

Not in the same way at least. Now that I've driven a manual for the past 7 years, every time I get into an auto, i just get annoyed.

But like the other guys said, it's personal preference. Too bad most people pass judgement before they even learn how to properly drive a manual.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2006, 01:17 AM   #36
ed328ci
Grumpy
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

I enjoy shifting manually. I do NOT think DSG / SMG or even Tiptronic is inferior. OK, most tiptronic type transmission systems are inferior because they shift too slowly, do not hold at the red line / up shift too early. I pick a manual transmission car because I like the feel of shifting. I know that DSG (not SMG) shifts faster and smoother than I can, but is some how less fun. Machismo has nothing to do with it.

Ed
      04-03-2006, 02:10 AM   #37
N1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d M

No stick is for sunday drivers as you can see if you want to race in formula 1, for instance. In EU 99% of the cars are not automatic gear box and bmw steptronic doesnt take 340 binary, in the other hand any problem with gear box its a new one and they have had more problems. Again in EU everybody drives stick and the one who cant drive stick is forced to take lessons without gears lolol. Stick M ! NO of course.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2006, 06:51 AM   #38
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90-4life
judge for yourself:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2463257

No offense to the 6MT owners here whatsoever. Through reading page after page in this thread I garnered what I felt I already knew about many car enthusiast already who are predominantly male; "stick or die". In all truth and honesty, there are only a handfull of drivers out there who can actually "shift", while many would be boy racers would tell you that they "can" when they really suck at shifting. Such a transmission such as "DSG" or whatever you'd like to call it, shifts for itself at your beckon call faster than you ever could, but yet there are many who detest such an invention and demand the party be spoiled for everyone else. I learned how to drive stick, somewhat got the hang of it, and I'm most certaintly not eager to be the slickest shifter out on the road. It's painstaking and annoying, on top of that I live in a city that really does make any sense of driving a MT to begin w/. I don't need to drive a stick so that girls think I'm cool when they learn what kind of car I drive, or so that I'll get accepted into the club at the local grocery store parking lot that meets up every sunday. A pointless argument many will say, but an argument made by a true and real car enthusiast none the less.
Dunno what you are talking about. I drove stick all my entire(with driving licence) life(18 years now) No worries. I live in the EU. (almost)EVERYBODY drives stick here(old ladies in their 80s with Chevy Matizes included) Sometimes I drove an auto box. But I prefer the stick.

And so does my GF

EDIT: For track/driftday use the manual gearbox is much more a way to control the car than an auto box. Even SMG II on Andre's E46 M3 CS isn't just as controllable as the 6sp man(his own words and he races in the DTCC, this season in the E90 V8)
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2006, 10:35 PM   #39
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Just remember, this chump drove an automatic Tiredbird© for years on TV. All the proof you need about who's driving slushboxes out there.

One more thing - if any of you guys puts a screaming chicken decal on the hood of your E90, I'm sending NatureBoy after you for a major piledriver session!
      04-03-2006, 10:59 PM   #40
E90-4life
auto pilot
Rep
Drives: E60 M5 chilln on slicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood
Dunno what you are talking about. I drove stick all my entire(with driving licence) life(18 years now) No worries. I live in the EU. (almost)EVERYBODY drives stick here(old ladies in their 80s with Chevy Matizes included) Sometimes I drove an auto box. But I prefer the stick.

And so does my GF

EDIT: For track/driftday use the manual gearbox is much more a way to control the car than an auto box. Even SMG II on Andre's E46 M3 CS isn't just as controllable as the 6sp man(his own words and he races in the DTCC, this season in the E90 V8)
well, you understood something to press the "reply" button.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2006, 12:55 PM   #41
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90-4life
well, you understood something to press the "reply" button.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2006, 01:32 PM   #42
N1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d M

Auto has a stick also but the real science is when and how to put gears giving the motor the best use. Auto is good for long distances.

Last edited by N1; 04-04-2006 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2006, 10:27 PM   #43
Lucid4000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i AW Sport 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i Sport  [0.00]
I have to tell ya this tread is real funny. But I have to agree that driving stick is so much more enjoyable. I've driven automatic my whole life. Don't ask me why but when I got married thats when I got my first manual. And I love it. My wife hates it but thats fine with me. I also live in NYC so I know a few things about sitting in traffic and have to tell ya never bothered me once.

What sucks now is my car is in for service and they gave me a 330i auto and I want to shoot my self. Car is great but no fun to drive.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2006, 12:48 AM   #44
RGRAY
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi SG/TERRA/STEP/SP/HS/CA

Garage List
2006 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
Do men feel less macho if they don't drive a stick shift?

Yes, it's true.

I feel sooooooooooooo feminine.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/e90gar...20TINT%20A.jpg

Appreciate 0