BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      06-09-2021, 06:35 AM   #221
JP10
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc503 View Post
I am not a coach, but I'm familiar with training cycles and periodization (more so as a race cyclist) though and have decent experience with running.
I will say this is an awesome attitude to have, but also dangerous when it comes to over training and fatigue/injury as you noted. I'm sure others can provide better targeted advice like Dlpfcb , but I'd say be weary of over training so that you don't lose quality in your workouts and plateau.
Completely understand, I know my body fairly well. I will definitely ensure that I get a full rest day in while moving forward, I'm not new to training in any sense, just new to establishing a goal pertaining to running. I always trained for speed and power throughout my athletic career, and I am now close to the lightest I have ever been, hence why I am establishing a different goal just to mix things up. Follwing Dlpfcb workout right now and so far it has been solid (only two days in haha). One thing I noticed that I was doing wrong just based on the outline he provided is that I was only training for the distance pertaining to my goal. Meaning just trying to hit that 5k mark as fast as I could, and when I say I was training, it was more so in a casual sense. The goal wasn't firm at that time - where as now I am pretty motivated. I failed to train cardio further then the 5k distance I was shooting for, most likely why I didn't see too much progression. Feeling good so far and the honeymoon weight is falling off so I can't complain one bit! Today was a nice easy 4mile run (as well as my usual 35-40min lift)!
Appreciate 1
dc503106.50
      06-09-2021, 07:42 AM   #222
dc503
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Completely understand, I know my body fairly well. I will definitely ensure that I get a full rest day in while moving forward, I'm not new to training in any sense, just new to establishing a goal pertaining to running. I always trained for speed and power throughout my athletic career, and I am now close to the lightest I have ever been, hence why I am establishing a different goal just to mix things up. Follwing Dlpfcb workout right now and so far it has been solid (only two days in haha). One thing I noticed that I was doing wrong just based on the outline he provided is that I was only training for the distance pertaining to my goal. Meaning just trying to hit that 5k mark as fast as I could, and when I say I was training, it was more so in a casual sense. The goal wasn't firm at that time - where as now I am pretty motivated. I failed to train cardio further then the 5k distance I was shooting for, most likely why I didn't see too much progression. Feeling good so far and the honeymoon weight is falling off so I can't complain one bit! Today was a nice easy 4mile run (as well as my usual 35-40min lift)!
I hear ya, I was definitely a 'fast twitch' athlete for the majority of my life and this kind of training was such uncharted territory for me too. Sounds like you got a great start going!
Appreciate 1
JP101369.50
      06-09-2021, 08:10 AM   #223
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Now for the 5k time goal, what would some of you recommend as far as distances, faster paced days, etc. etc. I'm a glutton for punishment, so running every day, at least a 5k, is not overly difficult and I don't seem to get burnt out, but at the same token I don't want to push my luck in regards to injury. Appreciate the help!
In the past, I have been able to make gains in running pace by doing some type of HIIT at least twice a week. I only say "in the past" because I am at the age now where I am focused primarily on minimizing loss rather than making gains. I also find that varying the type of cardio workouts I do helps dramatically with recovery time. Maybe do spin class once a week, or jump on the rowing machine at the gym.

Furthermore, intensity tends to be higher when in a group setting because there is natural competition and because you are getting constant feedback about how you measure up against others whose performance capabilities are a known entity to you. So find people with similar goals - whether it is a local running club or an exercise facility with group coached workouts of some type.

Finally, pick a race / competition to enter, and decide on a level of achievement that is realistic. This helps put meaning behind your goals other than "just because it would be great to go faster / longer".
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 01:52 PM   #224
jnj2455
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i 6MT/RWD/MPPSK/2VF

I, too, have a rather unhealthy obsession that dates back to when I was a heavyset kid who couldn't muster anything faster than a 13 minute mile in PE that was followed by taunting and shame by other kids (grade school is just great!)

I've ran steadily since I was 22 but the progress has been slow. 8:30 miles used to be fast for me and I've slowly chipped away at it. Unfortunately I've seem to hit the limit of what my body is willing to do. On a good well rested day I can maybe get under a 22 min 5K out, and I think my fastest was a sustained 7:01/mile 5K. I just seem to have trouble sustaining quicker paces. I think the fastest I've tried running on a mile was 6:30?

I try to run almost 3-4 miles everyday during the work week, mostly as a way to destress from my job. Weekends are rest/cheat days. I think this continuous running and few rest periods is working to my detriment in terms of pace and improvement. My ankles sometimes are my weakest point and have been an issue on and off the last 4-5 years.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 04:31 PM   #225
ScottSinger
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnj2455 View Post
I, too, have a rather unhealthy obsession that dates back to when I was a heavyset kid who couldn't muster anything faster than a 13 minute mile in PE that was followed by taunting and shame by other kids (grade school is just great!)

I've ran steadily since I was 22 but the progress has been slow. 8:30 miles used to be fast for me and I've slowly chipped away at it. Unfortunately I've seem to hit the limit of what my body is willing to do. On a good well rested day I can maybe get under a 22 min 5K out, and I think my fastest was a sustained 7:01/mile 5K. I just seem to have trouble sustaining quicker paces. I think the fastest I've tried running on a mile was 6:30?

I try to run almost 3-4 miles everyday during the work week, mostly as a way to destress from my job. Weekends are rest/cheat days. I think this continuous running and few rest periods is working to my detriment in terms of pace and improvement. My ankles sometimes are my weakest point and have been an issue on and off the last 4-5 years.

I think your pace is actually good. Running the same/similar mileage five-days straight and if your doing the same route, I think your a good runner.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 07:26 PM   #226
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Runkeeper. Boston Announcer

"Where you going, the aquarium? Slow down kid"

Should I be offended :
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 10:58 AM   #227
JP10
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Runs are getting better, feeling lighter on my feet. Consistently running my 5miles under 40mins, quickest is 38:30. This morning I ran it in 40mins flat and barely felt like I was pushing so I was pretty happy with that, could've kept running.

Was 16seconds off my 5k goal of 21mins the other day - in my defense it was pouring down rain and I was completely soaked even into my shoes for the entire 3.1miles. Next time I push for it I'm sure I can get it. Plan to take the goal down to sub 20min for the 5k. Would also like to get a sub 45min 10k.

I bet my numbers would really improve if my damn wife would stop being a bad influence on my diet haha. Think I've gained a few lbs since starting to progress in my runs - legs are getting beefier and more toned. Sitting right around 185lbs.
Appreciate 0