BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

01-07-2021, 08:00 PM   #1
ppasiakos
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 Convertible

Blown Motor Already

Got my M6 on November 21 with 22,000 miles. Today my Wife was driving and the motor blew up. Sounds like the rods. Loud clanking from the bottom end. Literally had the car a month and a week or so. Put 2300 miles on it and now this already. First BMW? Yeah. Porsche 911 is in the immediate future. Had one before never had an issue. This is ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 09:38 PM   #2
MetZF82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F06 M6

Sorry to hear man. My car is tuned for about 10k mikes. I drive pretty hard, I'm at 40k thank god no issues.

I would be flipping out calling Bmw corporate, don't understand how there's so many cases.
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2021, 10:08 PM   #3
ppasiakos
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yeah I am quite pissed off. I've never owned a car this short of a time with this type of problem so quickly. I know it's not new. But I bought it bone stock with 22.000 miles and for this to happen so quickly. Damn. Very crapped out. And don't know how I'm going to feel about keeping it with a motor replacement. I have a platinum warranty. So I'm not worried about cost. But what motor are they going to put? Used? Remanufactured? New with improvements? Just to many variables and unknowns.

Last edited by ppasiakos; 01-08-2021 at 01:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 10:41 PM   #4
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Sorry to hear. Do you have any more data points, such as model year, maintenance history, any previous mods etc? Good to hear you have a warranty - first thing I purchased with my car. Keep us posted on what solution they offer you. Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 11:27 PM   #5
ppasiakos
Enlisted Member
Rep

Sorry. Also clean car fax. Good service history. But who really knows.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 11:51 PM   #6
Infiniteflow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6GC SMB

Sorry to hear that happened to you.

I've heard from facebook page that many people reported more issues with pre 2015 M6 Models although I don't know if it's true or not.

This is also the reason why I bought a warranty and not messing up with the ECU tune or downpipe.

Hope you are covered with some type of warranty
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 03:11 AM   #7
XSWG
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 BMW M6, '19 AUDI S4

Sorry to hear that brother and I'm glad your wife is ok, It could always have been worse. This is my 3rd car with the S63TU engine and I have no issues, all three were over 50k miles. Might have just been a bad pick, as car buyers (especially those that modify cars) we forget that not everyone does the maintenance that they're supposed to. I've seen people come into the shop complaining about car performance when they haven't had an oil change for 30k miles (no joke)

Any word on what caused the failure from the shop? Rod bearings?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 10:20 AM   #8
patchesj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

I still stand by my theory that there was a bad batch of cranks machined and installed in the SU63s.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 10:31 AM   #9
ppasiakos
Enlisted Member
Rep

Pulled the oil filter and it was full of metal shavings and looked like the oil was filled with silver glitter. Submitting to warranty company today and I hope its taken care of. Needs a new long block, turbos, everything.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 10:36 AM   #10
patchesj
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppasiakos View Post
Pulled the oil filter and it was full of metal shavings and looked like the oil was filled with silver glitter. Submitting to warranty company today and I hope its taken care of. Needs a new long block, turbos, everything.
Yep, unfortunately when one of those bearings decides to spin it takes out everything else that the oil flows to. Major bummer, sorry to hear.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 10:36 AM   #11
DarkMastyr
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6GC

These motors don't seem to take tunes very well. Some get lucky like MetZF82, while many others don't. Of many blown motors in this forum and the F10 forum, most seem to have tunes.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 10:47 AM   #12
patchesj
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMastyr View Post
These motors don't seem to take tunes very well. Some get lucky like MetZF82, while many others don't. Of many blown motors in this forum and the F10 forum, most seem to have tunes.
I'd say it's at least 50/50 tuned vs not in the real world. I don't think tuning is the root cause.
Appreciate 1
Flo1989342.00
      01-08-2021, 11:09 AM   #13
ppasiakos
Enlisted Member
Rep

Engine failed while my daughter was driving and she was driving it like a Sonata, not an M6 with 575 horsepower. Never tracked or raced and the oil was fresh and everything maintained. Just seems so strange for a low mileage car to blow up like this under normal driving conditions.

Last edited by ppasiakos; 01-08-2021 at 01:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 11:52 AM   #14
MetZF82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F06 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppasiakos View Post
Engine failed while my daughter was driving and she was driving it like a Sonata, not an M6 with 765 horsepower. Never tracked or raced and the oil was fresh and everything maintained. Just seems so strange for a low mileage car to blow up like this under normal driving conditions.
It happens to tuned cars and stock cars. So I don't think tuning is the root. I've been lurking for a while. You have high mileage tuned cars driven very aggressively never having done major repairs.

Then you have like yourself well maintained low mileage never beaten cars with a major failure like this.

I bought my car with 2 years left on factory Bmw warranty. I figured if it's gonna blow it will be within those 2 years and I'll be covered.

I hope you're covered tho and all ends well. Keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 12:48 PM   #15
ppasiakos
Enlisted Member
Rep

Parts list all ready to submit for warranty approval $32500!!!!!!!

Check that total job is $46000, and that is according to the BMW parts guy an "improved" setup. Not sure what he means.

Last edited by ppasiakos; 01-08-2021 at 01:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 07:38 PM   #16
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

What year is the car? Where did you purchase it from? Maybe the car was abused and that's why it was for sale.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 10:18 PM   #17
Marcus Frost
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: Various

It is humorous to me that forums can be such breeding grounds for false narrratives.

The S63 is not prone to blowing or is an unreliable motor. Here in Chicago I know of numerous first hand S63 cars that have had the living shit beat out of them with tunes, downpipes, etc and even one I know that's almost at 90k, tuned since 30k, has had no issues. I don't run my car as hard as most others, but even I am now a solid 4 years into the ownership of my car and am floored by how solid the car has been - not just the motor but the car overall.

How many people have S63 cars on this forum? People don't seem to "get" that you are infinitely more likely to see/notice a thread about what is in reality a rare occurrence of a blown motor rather than objectively quantify that the VAST majority of these cars do not blow their motors with or without tunes.

While I sympathize with the original poster, let me tell you buying a used car and then having it blow up so soon would NEVER have me suspect the engine, rather what the PREVIOUS owner did/was hiding/etc. How convenient that 30 days after you buy it, the motor pops? It is so easy to mask miles, abuse, etc on a used car - so that is the risk of buying new. I would highly suspect something the previous owner did may have caused damage or at least somehow put the pieces in motion leading up to what you are now dealing with, rather than curse BMW for some faulty engine assembly.

It is possible that the engine just blew, but putting these pieces together I doubt it.
1969 Lincoln Continental Sedan
Appreciate 6
      01-09-2021, 03:00 AM   #18
Rsnk60 M6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 GC

bought my 2016 with 13k and now with 27k car runs like new, not 1 problem and im still in love with it , it's hard to upgrade from a M6.
      01-09-2021, 08:33 AM   #19
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsnk60 M6 View Post
bought my 2016 with 13k and not with 27k car runs like new, not 1 problem and im still in love with it , it's hard to upgrade from a M6.

Yes it is hard. All the possible upgrades are using basically the same engine with 17 more horsepower and 4 wheel drive but with worse interior.

I love my 600HP M6. With the best interior of any BMW
      01-09-2021, 09:44 AM   #20
ppasiakos
Enlisted Member
Rep

When I bought the car, carfax showed consistent regular scheduled maintenance. Very clean and very concise. Yes, no one can know the previous owner's treatment of the car behind the wheel. However, aside from some mild curbed wheels and a few nicks and or scratches the car was perfect. Interior perfect, non smoker, top was perfect, no signs of abuse. You just never know. And I understand that these motors are known to have rod bearing issues, just with such low miles seems strange. I will say that the week leading up to the failure with my wife driving it, I felt that the car was less responsive and by my minds eye, a bit sluggish. But I thought it was in my head. And probably still was. I don't think this type of failure is progressive, I think when it happens, it just happens.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 10:32 AM   #21
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

First off, sorry to hear about the unfortunate news -

Following the storyline here, didn't you recently just get a custom tune on this car from a local shop? If it were me I would be going back to them with a bone to pick rather than BMW. Seems to me that perhaps your tuner could have overdone it or had some critical oversights with regard to the longevity of the engine with whatever parameters were adjusted within the DME.

My gut tells me that you'll submit this for warranty and one of the first rebuttal questions from the warranty company will be whether or not the vehicle (powertrain) had been modified. It would be reasonable to expect them to do a fair amount of investigation prior to writing a $32,500 check.

In the event that there is no foul play from the tuning company, Marcus Frost is right when he says

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost View Post

People don't seem to "get" that you are infinitely more likely to see/notice a thread about what is in reality a rare occurrence of a blown motor rather than objectively quantify that the VAST majority of these cars do not blow their motors with or without tunes.

While I sympathize with the original poster, let me tell you buying a used car and then having it blow up so soon would NEVER have me suspect the engine, rather what the PREVIOUS owner did/was hiding/etc. It is so easy to mask miles, abuse, etc on a used car. I would highly suspect something the previous owner did may have caused damage or at least somehow put the pieces in motion leading up to what you are now dealing with, rather than curse BMW for some faulty engine assembly.
Ultimately I'm sorry to hear about this failure and your frustration is understandable, but I think there are other places to point the finger than directly at BMW given the circumstances

Last edited by LJohnson32; 01-10-2021 at 10:41 AM..
Appreciate 3
mikerx5438.50
MMMM6GC275.00
DRKNTM615.50
      01-10-2021, 10:51 AM   #22
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJohnson32 View Post
First off, sorry to hear about the unfortunate news -

Following the storyline here, didn't you recently just get a custom tune on this car from a local shop? If it were me I would be going back to them with a bone to pick rather than BMW. Seems to me that perhaps your tuner could have overdone it or had some critical oversights with regard to the longevity of the engine with whatever parameters were adjusted within the DME.

My gut tells me that you'll submit this for warranty and one of the first rebuttal questions from the warranty company will be whether or not the vehicle (powertrain) had been modified. It would be reasonable to expect them to do a fair amount of investigation prior to writing a $32,500 check.

In the event that there is no foul play from the tuning company, Marcus Frost is right when he says

Ultimately I'm sorry to hear about this failure and your frustration is understandable, but I think there are other places to point the finger than directly at BMW given the circumstances
This changes everything. Your initial post was not very transparent. You clearly know a lot about cars as you are a new car dealership manager. You did your homework on this car and you knew exactly about what mods you wanted. You know exactly how warranties work. I'm sure you know the warranty company should not pay for this but you are hoping they will pay for something that is not their responsibility. Let us know how that goes.
Appreciate 2
MMMM6GC275.00