BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      10-25-2020, 01:39 AM   #1
x-tech7
Private
Rep
Drives: Mazda CX5, 2017 M6 coupe

fnder side grill removal

Hello All,
I am trying to remove the fender side grill but am having a hard time getting it out. It seems there is one clip in the bottom that I can't seem to unclip. I've search the web and youtube and there doesn't seem to be any information on it. Does anyone have experience on this. I am changing it out to to the gloss black version.
Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 06:23 AM   #2
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Here's a video, and there are a few others, just search for "BMW side vent"

Full disclosure, I did this and it was a pain in the ass. You will very likely break at least one clip. Might not be much of an issue if you're replacing the originals though.

Some tips - I ensured the area around the side vent was well masked up to protect the paint. I used multiple trim removal tools, starting from the door side working towards the front bumper. I inserted the first one and began to pry it out, then left it in place and used another trim tool further along the vent to keep prying. Work your way around and it'll become loose enough to pull out.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 03:18 PM   #3
mikerx5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 F06, 2022 G06

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMM6GC View Post
Here's a video, and there are a few others, just search for "BMW side vent"

Full disclosure, I did this and it was a pain in the ass. You will very likely break at least one clip. Might not be much of an issue if you're replacing the originals though.

Some tips - I ensured the area around the side vent was well masked up to protect the paint. I used multiple trim removal tools, starting from the door side working towards the front bumper. I inserted the first one and began to pry it out, then left it in place and used another trim tool further along the vent to keep prying. Work your way around and it'll become loose enough to pull out.
Yup all of this. Door to front, need to get that part to lift. The flimsy clip may break, but the front is nice and strong. Not an enjoyable experience!
Appreciate 0