BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

08-29-2022, 11:47 AM   #1
ShepardG
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 Toyota Tacoma, 2019 Honda

2013 Coupe vs. 2013 Convertible

Howdy folks,

So new to the forum, first post actually, but I'm at a bit of a pickle. I have a choice to make and I'm curious what actual owners would say.

I am in the market for a "mid-life crisis" car (meaning I'm financially stable to the point that I can get a project car) and I'm currently looking at two 2013 M6's (nearly identical in color, interior, options etc.) except that one is a Coupe, and within an hour and half drive, the other is a convertible and a 5 hour drive.

--The coupe has had some minor cosmetic damage repaired (front fenders and bumper, from two different accidents according to carfax, it was minor cosmetic and after looking at them, the color and lines and fender gaps are all stock or might as well be. so i'm considering them a non-factor)
-- It has 84k miles on it, and tons of carfax service records, most having taken place at BMW dealerships
-- I started it, let it idle for a few minutes till it settled in, and rev'd it and it sounds strong and clean, but i'm not familar with the engine note, so don't have alot to say in that department.
-- This does not have the bangin olfsen stero, but it does have the HUD and the lane assistance package

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/8...paign=atempest

--The convertible looks like the exact same car, only with chrome/silver variant rims and it has the sound system, and it's convertible. I would most likely, however, be purchasing this sight unseen, and having it delivered.

The pickle is that I wanted a convertible, as the car is going to sit in my garage and get driven sparingly and possibly given to my son in 14 years as a graduation present. I plan to do any maintenance, preventative or otherwise, myself.

I guess i'm just wondering if folks could weight in on one or the other. My dream was the convertible, but the coupe seems like a better option currently.

ADDITIONALLY, I could just hold off for a few years and buy a used M8... thoughts?
Appreciate 1
M3 boi3211.00
      08-29-2022, 12:14 PM   #2
jporter396
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw m6 POS

Personally like the look of a traditional coupe. But I'm biased ha.

I would STRONGLY recommend you replace the rod bearings on whatever car you get at that mileage. Unless you have 14k lying around for a rebuild when they inevitably shred themselves in the engine. Both are beyond the 60k maximum life I would expect out of the stock rod bearings on these engines. Also not a fan of buying a car sight unseen, pictures can be deceiving ! But that's up to you.

Nothing else like the m6 in this price range as far as performance looks power luxury go. Wish you best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 12:45 PM   #3
JDMSteven
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F13 M6, '94 JDM Supra 5MT

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [10.00]
Those are both pretty high mileage, I'd pay a little more for one with less miles. In the height of the crazy ass used car market, August 2021 I bought my 13 F13 with 42k miles 1 owner clean carfax elderly owned full service records from a BMW dealer for $39,500.
Vorsteiner VFF-103 Carbon Graphite 343M dimensions • H&R Lowering Springs • Soul PP Resonated Muffler Delete • AeroFunction AF-1 Carbon Front Lip • Carbon Front Grilles • Carbon Mirror Caps • IND Black Fender Vents
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 12:50 PM   #4
ShepardG
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 Toyota Tacoma, 2019 Honda

jporter396

Definitely friend, thanks! Yeah the rod bearings replacements I've been watching on Youtube make it seem doable, although very intricate and meticulous, which i've no problem with. I had already resigned myself that was going to be the first "mod" I did lol.

I too like the look of the coupe more than the convertible, but the convertible is something that both myself and the wife have always. Honestly... that's probably the person I need to have this conversation with LMAO happy wife, happy life etc.

*She's always wanted an Audi, I'm trying to turn her*
Appreciate 1
M3 boi3211.00
      08-29-2022, 12:55 PM   #5
byebyev8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i f12 m6

That coupe has 6 owners and 2 accidents I wouldn’t even consider that car. That convertible doesn’t seem bad but has really high miles. For 5k more you can find one in the 40-50k mileage range which will always be worth at least 5k more when u trade or sell it. Deciding between coupe and convertible will be the hardest part. I wanted a coupe but found a convertible in San Marino blue locally and was the best decision I ever made. I love this car my first convertible and I don’t think I’ll go back makes the driving experience so much better with no roof. Also it gets much more attention than a coupe, there’s no other convertible in this price range that comes even close to the m6.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...337841974/NONE

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...332937970/NONE

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...325490002/NONE

Last edited by byebyev8; 08-29-2022 at 01:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 09:42 PM   #6
Ttuite
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1996 Dodge Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepardG View Post
jporter396

Definitely friend, thanks! Yeah the rod bearings replacements I've been watching on Youtube make it seem doable, although very intricate and meticulous, which i've no problem with. I had already resigned myself that was going to be the first "mod" I did lol.

I too like the look of the coupe more than the convertible, but the convertible is something that both myself and the wife have always. Honestly... that's probably the person I need to have this conversation with LMAO happy wife, happy life etc.

*She's always wanted an Audi, I'm trying to turn her*
I think you should wait. Those particular cars you are looking at wholesale at 18-20k. Dealer is paying his bills with these sales. If you can wait a few years prices will stabilized and then severely decline.

Example: in 2017 I bought a 650 vert. With 5000 miles on it for 60k. Window sticker was still in glovebox and was 105,900. These cars have historically taken huge hits in prices until recently.

Another thing to think about. 14 years is a long time to keep a car with this kind of mileage. These are not reliable high mileage cars unless you drive them all the time. 2013 was still in the infancy of the F13. Lots of gremlins running around in there. If it was an 18’ I might have a different opinion on the reliability.

I just can’t see how you are going to be happy buying either one of those cars. Imagine how you will feel when you have invested money in repairs, market returns to it new normal and prices tank.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 07:37 AM   #7
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

I have a 13 vert m6 with a lot of mods done to it. I bought it used at 40k miles and now sit at 85k. I daily drive my m6 in summer month and garage it once there is snow on the ground. These cars are hit or miss but i would say don't really worry about mileage on the car. If the car had a problem. It would have blown up by now. Yes check the rod bearings but in all honesty you should do some large maintenance items first once you get the car for peace of mind, on either choice.

First off change the injectors. All 8. These are the leading cause if the car to fail. Many times does an injector flood the chamber or stop spraying and you get a blown motor. This coupled with routine oil changes will help keep that engine alive. Runner thicker oil like 5w-40 or 5w-50 so the oil doesn't shear under high temp stress and you will be just fine.

My m6 has been maintained by myself, i am not a professional mechanic but i am inclined enough to work on it myself. Its a pretty easy car to maintain.

Other than that just follow along with standard "maintenance" change spark plugs and coils every 15k miles. Change your front o2 sensors when you can since they have a lot of miles too. On the note if maintenance do the oil every 3-5k to keep the fuel dilution low.
Attached Images

09-01-2022, 08:10 AM   #8
gsumann
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XK

OP I have been to that dealership with the coupe and actually looked at that car close up I think either the passenger window motor is about to go out or the window regulator. It makes a loud noise when you open and close the door. I'm sure that might be an easy DIY.
and there is a ton of swirl marks on the car. I mean like all over like its never been polished or waxed they were very visible even in not direct sunlight and a ton of door dings on the passenger side and near rear fender.
Appreciate 1
DRKNTM615.50
      09-03-2022, 03:14 PM   #9
SBG
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M6 Convertible, '16 M6 CE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepardG View Post
Howdy folks,

So new to the forum, first post actually, but I'm at a bit of a pickle. I have a choice to make and I'm curious what actual owners would say.

I am in the market for a "mid-life crisis" car (meaning I'm financially stable to the point that I can get a project car) and I'm currently looking at two 2013 M6's (nearly identical in color, interior, options etc.) except that one is a Coupe, and within an hour and half drive, the other is a convertible and a 5 hour drive.

--The coupe has had some minor cosmetic damage repaired (front fenders and bumper, from two different accidents according to carfax, it was minor cosmetic and after looking at them, the color and lines and fender gaps are all stock or might as well be. so i'm considering them a non-factor)
-- It has 84k miles on it, and tons of carfax service records, most having taken place at BMW dealerships
-- I started it, let it idle for a few minutes till it settled in, and rev'd it and it sounds strong and clean, but i'm not familar with the engine note, so don't have alot to say in that department.
-- This does not have the bangin olfsen stero, but it does have the HUD and the lane assistance package

--The convertible looks like the exact same car, only with chrome/silver variant rims and it has the sound system, and it's convertible. I would most likely, however, be purchasing this sight unseen, and having it delivered.

The pickle is that I wanted a convertible, as the car is going to sit in my garage and get driven sparingly and possibly given to my son in 14 years as a graduation present. I plan to do any maintenance, preventative or otherwise, myself.

I guess i'm just wondering if folks could weight in on one or the other. My dream was the convertible, but the coupe seems like a better option currently.

ADDITIONALLY, I could just hold off for a few years and buy a used M8... thoughts?
I've owned a 2016 CE 1/100 and currently have a 2018 Vert with CP and I love the vert more than the CE. There's nothing like putting the top down and cruising the highways or local streets from April - October with the B&O system blasting. Definitely consider the Mrs' opinion in your purchase. Best of luck in your search,
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2022, 09:37 PM   #10
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

I realize I'm late to the party with this reply, but here are my thoughts.

Your post seems ro be asking for feedback on two separate questions :
1) Coupe vs Convertible
2) Which of two different cars to purchase.

I would start with basics - which body style works best for you. Frankly, i've never been a ragtop fan, not even as a CA for one of Northern NJ's largest BMW delaers. The lack of structural support at the roof introduces too much chassis flex for my liking, and it doesn't matter if it's an M6 or 3x chassis, physics prevail. Granted, the 6x chassis is not exactly designed for autocross, but still, there's a noticeable difference in the turns and poise in handling on switchbacks apples-for-apples. I'm not bashing drop-tops, I definitely see appeal, but for my preference, it's coupe all the way.

As to which specific vehicle to purchase, there's a saying around here: "Buy the owner, not the car". Pick a specimen that has a strong service history and do a thorough PPI. There are a handful of horror stories out there, but as many cases of 80k+ mile and higher (90k+ example) wheels out there to be had. I bought mine for $47k over four years ago from a dealer in Chicago and it's still turning heads today.

Choose wisely, and good luck!
Attached Images

Last edited by Cincinnatus; 09-03-2022 at 09:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2022, 08:57 AM   #11
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
… possibly given to my son in 14 years as a graduation present...
I hope you’re referring to graduation from medical school or law schoo! Personally I couldn’t fathom putting an engine with this much power into the hands of a high school graduate with no driving experience at all…then add a rag top to the equation!
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0