03-12-2021, 09:52 AM   #1
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230 2020 vert F23

Bathroom scale inconsistency

Hi all,

I'm needing to work out what I'm doing wrong.

I need a fairly accurate scale as I need to check daily for water retention.
So I need to be able to see changes of 1-2kg in 2 days or 2-5kg's in a week.

I have a digital scale, and I need it to give me a reliable reading everytime.

SO, I sometimes can get 3 different readings at the same time, (get on, off reset, get on, off reset) OR I get a totally different over the top reading, say, I should see 70.80, I get 71.50.

It's not a big difference but I'm looking at pounds of difference daily, if I get water retention I need to ring my clinic.

I have 2 area's where I can weigh myself, my landing which has hardwood flooring, or bathroom which has big heavy ceramic tiles.

The hardwood flooring in places is not flat so it causes the scale to rattle, so I find a spot make sure all 4 feet are level, press the scale, leave it to zero.

Today in the same spot, I got 3 different readings, my partner moved the scale, and got 3 same. I stand staright and dont lean forward, there's no zero on the scale.

OH battery was replaced.

Do I need a more accurate scale ?

Txs
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 10:50 AM   #2
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Doesn’t make sense.

Try weighing known weights. Do you have weightlifting weights? Do you have a 20 liter bucket you can fill with water? Using known standard weights can definitely rule the scale in or out as a problem.

Use ceramic tile floor with all contact points of the scale in firm contact with the floor. In other words, not rocking, tipping or wobbling.

Good luck with the water loss. Please post your progress here.
Appreciate 1
nazali1264.50
      03-12-2021, 11:25 AM   #3
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

just looked up water ! LOL
1 liter of water weighs 1 kg
maybe I'll try this out

will post results

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Doesn’t make sense.

Try weighing known weights. Do you have weightlifting weights? Do you have a 20 liter bucket you can fill with water? Using known standard weights can definitely rule the scale in or out as a problem.

Use ceramic tile floor with all contact points of the scale in firm contact with the floor. In other words, not rocking, tipping or wobbling.

Good luck with the water loss. Please post your progress here.
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      03-12-2021, 03:25 PM   #4
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazali View Post
I get a totally different over the top reading, say, I should see 70.80, I get 71.50.
Use the bathroom.

Accuracy is unrelated to consistency. You need a known weight to test accuracy but you just need a fixed weight to test consistency.

Quote:
1 liter of water weighs 1 kg
That's a precise amount of pure water. An accuracy test. But for consistency test you can use anything not living: it doesn't matter how much it weighs, it only matters it weighs the same every time (and the scale should confirm that).

Quote:
I sometimes can get 3 different readings at the same time, (get on, off reset, get on, off reset)
If you are "learning to fly" and it's your weight rather than the scale that's inconsistent (because you "care") apply a consistent approach: use your first try only , or use the same number of tries and a mean value calculated from all or just the max and min try reading , or just the min, or just the max... "What goes up (learning to fly) must come down." Mind your bathroom condition and time of the day (schedule), of course. A less accurate scale can also help to remove extra accuracy and retrieve only the difference that matters.
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      03-16-2021, 11:45 AM   #5
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

hey txs all,

yes I think I'm more concerned about a consistent weight.

The last few days have been weighing myself in the bathroom and putting the scale on a big tile and standing straight, eyes forward, all the figures, have been more consistent. (my same routine, vacate bowels and just wearing a t-shirt and socks)

I'll keep an eye on it, I'm going shopping so will get a bag of sugar or something to check it out.

txs
Appreciate 0