BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-16-2020, 10:43 PM   #1
Mosely
Lieutenant
Mosely's Avatar
465
Rep
446
Posts

Drives: '18 M2 | '20 X5 | '07 E92
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Did the BMW Connected App Just Get Majorly Hacked? Answer: No

Was sitting on the couch with the wife watching TV, suddenly she got an alert to her phone from the BMW connected app saying "The panic alarm on your X7 M50i is going off". We don't have an X7...we have an X5 and an M2.

So she logged into the app and now it shows someone else's 330i in Georgia (we live in Texas) as her registered vehicle. She is able to see all the personal information associated with this car, destinations, home address, sync'd calendar events, etc.

I ran outside to make sure our cars were okay (they were). And we logged in and out of the app. Upon logging back in now it shows a 440i from Las Vegas. Again, we can see all the personal information associated with this new car. I had the ability to remote start, unlock, etc....

Tried calling BMW but they're closed. Will update as more happens but this appears to be a major breach of some sort.

Edit: it's back to normal after 15-20 minutes but some of the calendar events and location history etc from other people's accounts are still visible. It also only happened on her iPhone and not to mine on Android.
__________________
IG Photo Gallery:
instagram.com/dr_m2sko/


Last edited by Mosely; 05-17-2020 at 01:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 12:40 AM   #2
mjr24
Captain
327
Rep
782
Posts

Drives: F90 M5
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wisconsin/Illinois

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosely View Post
Was sitting on the couch with the wife watching TV, suddenly she got an alert to her phone from the BMW connected app saying "The panic alarm on your X7 M50i is going off". We don't have an X7...we have an X5 and an M2.

So she logged into the app and now it shows someone else's 330i in Georgia (we live in Texas) as her registered vehicle. She is able to see all the personal information associated with this car, destinations, home address, sync'd calendar events, etc.

I ran outside to make sure our cars were okay (they were). And we logged in and out of the app. Upon logging back in now it shows a 440i from Las Vegas. Again, we can see all the personal information associated with this new car. I had the ability to remote start, unlock, etc....

Tried calling BMW but they're closed. Will update as more happens but this appears to be a major breach of some sort.
Works normally for me.....
__________________
2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC (sold), 2013 CLS550 (sold), 2011 750LI (sold), 2008 M6 Cabrio (sold), 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 (sold), 2003 Mercedes SL500 (sold), 2000 Mercedes CL500 (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 10:17 AM   #3
GenXer
Captain
United_States
626
Rep
759
Posts

Drives: Like a bat out of hell.
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: here and there

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
No issue here.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 12:03 PM   #4
webmeezer
Cat Herder
webmeezer's Avatar
United_States
147
Rep
47
Posts

Drives: 2018 M240xi
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 M240xi  [0.00]
Probably just normal database "maintenance"..
Or
5 + 2 = 7...

Your choice..

Z
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 01:57 PM   #5
contented
New Member
13
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: 2019 X3 M40i, 2020 M2 C
Join Date: May 2020
Location: SE USA

iTrader: (0)

Mine shows both cars just as it should. No problems.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 06:48 PM   #6
Mosely
Lieutenant
Mosely's Avatar
465
Rep
446
Posts

Drives: '18 M2 | '20 X5 | '07 E92
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by contented View Post
Mine shows both cars just as it should. No problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by webmeezer View Post
Probably just normal database "maintenance"..
Or
5 + 2 = 7...

Your choice..

Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
No issue here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
Works normally for me.....
Mine also went back to normal. You guys seem remarkably unconcerned though. Personal information, private calendar events and home addresses being shared aside, imagine someone had triggered the remote start and your car filled up the garage with carbon monoxide or unlocked your doors and your car got broken into. Just saying...
__________________
IG Photo Gallery:
instagram.com/dr_m2sko/

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 06:53 PM   #7
nioh_lbbm2
Major
nioh_lbbm2's Avatar
882
Rep
1,307
Posts

Drives: '18 M2 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

change your password
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 08:24 PM   #8
Mosely
Lieutenant
Mosely's Avatar
465
Rep
446
Posts

Drives: '18 M2 | '20 X5 | '07 E92
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
change your password
That was the first thing I did, but it didn't impact anything at all. Basically every time I opened and closed the app, it would show a new car and new collection of information. No specific locations patterns (Atlanta, Vegas, Northern California, somewhere in France, and one in Germany)
__________________
IG Photo Gallery:
instagram.com/dr_m2sko/

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 08:34 PM   #9
webmeezer
Cat Herder
webmeezer's Avatar
United_States
147
Rep
47
Posts

Drives: 2018 M240xi
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 M240xi  [0.00]
Not really. If someone was hacking you, odds are you'd never know it. What's the point of letting you know they have your info. Odds are also much greater they can get all that data somewhere else that's a lot easier to hack.

Not saying it's not possible, there are a lot of "script kiddies" out there running hacking scripts they've downloaded, that have no idea how to run them correctly. This sounds more like a normal maintenance cycle or software update (over the weekend typically) that went awry.

Z
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 11:19 PM   #10
six75LT
Private
173
Rep
62
Posts

Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: West Hartford, CT

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosely View Post
Mine also went back to normal. You guys seem remarkably unconcerned though. Personal information, private calendar events and home addresses being shared aside, imagine someone had triggered the remote start and your car filled up the garage with carbon monoxide or unlocked your doors and your car got broken into. Just saying...
you mean to tell me you can start these cars with just the app now? why didnt i know about this when it was cold outside
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 10:34 AM   #11
Mosely
Lieutenant
Mosely's Avatar
465
Rep
446
Posts

Drives: '18 M2 | '20 X5 | '07 E92
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by six75LT View Post
you mean to tell me you can start these cars with just the app now? why didnt i know about this when it was cold outside
Yep! You can do ventilation/AC during the summer too.
__________________
IG Photo Gallery:
instagram.com/dr_m2sko/

Appreciate 1
six75LT172.50

Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 PM.




6post.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST