BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

04-18-2020, 02:12 PM   #1
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

M Performance Exhaust - Cabin

Wondering if anyone on here with the M Performance exhaust on their M6 would be able to comment on the sound difference inside the cabin. I've seen a few videos of the exterior sound and like the deeper tone than most aftermarket manufacturers produce, but I'm curious what sort of difference is made inside the car. Bonus points if you've also disabled the Active Sound module as well as I feel like that would inhibit any changes in cabin tone going from stock to the MPE system.

This isn't an inexpensive system so I'd like to be 110% sure it's worth every penny (for me anyways) -- thanks in advance!

Last edited by LJohnson32; 04-18-2020 at 04:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 02:53 PM   #2
TomM6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F12 M6 individual

I have the M performance exhaust and love it, I do not like attention seeking loud systems but I think is is discreet but gives a quality sports car sound, on WOT I love it. With my convertible I like to roll down the rear window with the top up when I drive.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2020, 04:17 PM   #3
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM6 View Post
I have the M performance exhaust and love it, I do not like attention seeking loud systems but I think is is discreet but gives a quality sports car sound, on WOT I love it. With my convertible I like to roll down the rear window with the top up when I drive.
Got it, this is almost word for word what I'm after. I like that this system isn't overpoweringly loud and that it just adds some more substance to the exhaust tone to match the audible presence to the fantastic visual presence of the car.

Do you have a cold start delete done as well? Seems very loud on start up without it
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 05:37 PM   #4
TomM6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I do not, I bought it from the dealer right after I bought the car and did not change anything but do drive the car mostly at Sport+ for the exhaust sound!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-18-2020, 06:05 PM   #5
hirkaismyname
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 CP GC

Where are you sourcing it from LJohnson32 -- mind sharing pricing as well? Looking for a new exhaust system like yourself.

Thanks,
H
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 06:36 PM   #6
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I do not, I bought it from the dealer right after I bought the car and did not change anything but do drive the car mostly at Sport+ for the exhaust sound!
Thanks for the input on this! If you have any sound clips feel free to post them up, the more reference points I have the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirkaismyname View Post
Where are you sourcing it from LJohnson32 -- mind sharing pricing as well? Looking for a new exhaust system like yourself.

Thanks,
H
I will likely source from my local BMW dealer as there is not much in the way of discounted systems out there that I've been able to find. $5,800 + tax seems to be the norm
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 07:40 PM   #7
TomM6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I do not recall the price I think with heavy discounting and CCA discounts low $6K from a BMW dealer in PA and that includes the carbon tips, make sure you ask for the tips too in the price as these are sold separately and the carbon ones are like $1.2K.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2020, 07:47 PM   #8
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I do not recall the price I think with heavy discounting and CCA discounts low $6K from a BMW dealer in PA and that includes the carbon tips, make sure you ask for the tips too in the price as these are sold separately and the carbon ones are like $1.2K.
Thanks for the helpful advice -- the $5,800 I mentioned did not include the carbon tips and I did notice that they're $395 each, so low $6k range for everything sounds like it would be a good price all things considered
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 08:59 PM   #9
TomM6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I think you can call a few dealers throughout the US and see how low they would go shipped. I am sure your local dealer would match that. I think you will really like it, the quality and workmanship is amazing, it suits this wonderful car. I am picky with how parts come together and this fits and looks perfect.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2020, 09:58 AM   #10
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think you can call a few dealers throughout the US and see how low they would go shipped. I am sure your local dealer would match that. I think you will really like it, the quality and workmanship is amazing, it suits this wonderful car. I am picky with how parts come together and this fits and looks perfect.
TomM6 I appreciate your insight on the topic -- the workmanship and overall quality is something that is important to me when the system costs as much as it does so it's reassuring to hear your positive experience with it -- so thank you

I'll be sure to do some calling around to get the best price. I'm hoping that a friend of mine who works in parts for a dealer within the same group as my BMW dealer can hook up some sort of deal!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 10:26 AM   #11
hirkaismyname
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 CP GC

Anyone have any soundclips of the m-performance with catless/catted (200 Cell or above) DP's? I'm interested in whether there's backfire/crackles etc. without coding.

Thanks,
H
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 01:31 AM   #12
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

I have the M Performance Exhaust. I experienced the exhaust both with ASD and without ASD.

Overall, with the windows down, the exhaust is mind blowing. It gives the car the exotic car howl. It turns heads and puts a sme on my face, and even send chills down my spine. It's that good.

Interior noise with the windows up:. With ASD, my opinion is that overall, it sounds "boomy". Like a muffled consistent noise, neither loud nor annoying, it's just an omnipresent noise.

After about 2 weeks of ownership, I decided to remove the ASD. Immediate result was that the cabin is much more quieter, and in a good way. That boomy sound ultimately is not preferred, as it masks the actual sounds, because the sound deadening is pretty good for the car. It took about another two weeks to get used to it, but I say, I prefer the ASD off.

I will find it shocking if you do not like this exhaust based on your described needs. The exhaust is a classy sound, almost perfectly fit to the character of the car.

Btw, I've experienced both the stock ZCP exhaust and the Eisenmann Race. The Eisenmann Race is in a class by itself. It comes down to preference, but that one is loud. I was driving on front of a M6 with the Eisenmann, and I can hear that car the entire time during my drive, and I was on front of him, that's how insanely loud it is. Tht owner ultimately switched to the M Performance. I feel like living with the Eisenmann as a daily driver would get tiring.

The ZCP exhaust is a decent tone, a bit more aggressive than non-ZCP cars, I would say a bit throaty and growls with moderate throttle application. It's not a bad exhaust to listen to for the entirety of your ownership.... except for the existence of the M Performance Exhaust, which is a must experience IMO.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 04-20-2020 at 01:41 AM..
Appreciate 1
MMMM6GC275.00
      04-20-2020, 05:24 AM   #13
Mr. M6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 F06  [9.25]
i have MPE/AKRA exhaust with AMS catless dp, it show the real V8 engine sound, get the exhaust you will like it 100%
      04-20-2020, 09:18 AM   #14
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. M6 View Post
i have MPE/AKRA exhaust with AMS catless dp, it show the real V8 engine sound, get the exhaust you will like it 100%
Thanks for the input! Any chance this is your car...? Notice that your profile says Bahrain and the registration on the car is Qatar but the setup on the car seems identical to what you have

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 09:31 AM   #15
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
I have the M Performance Exhaust. I experienced the exhaust both with ASD and without ASD.

Overall, with the windows down, the exhaust is mind blowing. It gives the car the exotic car howl. It turns heads and puts a smile on my face, and even send chills down my spine. It's that good.
This is great -- with all the videos I've watched it sounds good but its always difficult to get an accurate read on what the true sound is like. In person always sounds infinitely better.

Quote:
After about 2 weeks of ownership, I decided to remove the ASD. Immediate result was that the cabin is much more quieter, and in a good way. That boomy sound ultimately is not preferred, as it masks the actual sounds, because the sound deadening is pretty good for the car. It took about another two weeks to get used to it, but I say, I prefer the ASD off.
Yeah you can tell when driving that the noise you're hearing in the car with ASD is pretty manufactured which bothers me to a degree. I feel like if you take away the ASD with the stock system you wouldn't hear anything, so I was hoping with the MPE and removing ASD you would be able to hear the exhaust inside the car I'll say a 'comfortable' amount.

Quote:
I've experienced both the stock ZCP exhaust and the Eisenmann Race. The Eisenmann Race is in a class by itself. It comes down to preference, but that one is loud. I was driving on front of a M6 with the Eisenmann, and I can hear that car the entire time during my drive, and I was on front of him, that's how insanely loud it is. That owner ultimately switched to the M Performance. I feel like living with the Eisenmann as a daily driver would get tiring.
Bang on - the quality of the Eisenmann system is great but too overpowering for what I'm after

Quote:
The ZCP exhaust is a decent tone, a bit more aggressive than non-ZCP cars, I would say a bit throaty and growls with moderate throttle application. It's not a bad exhaust to listen to for the entirety of your ownership.... except for the existence of the M Performance Exhaust, which is a must experience IMO.
This is interesting to hear, I never really thought there would be a measurable difference between the ZCP system and non ZCP aside from the black chrome tips. I wonder then if the MPE system has a different sound on a ZCP versus on a non ZCP car just based on the different ECU tweaks adding the extra 40hp.

Now we're really splitting hairs

Overall though thanks for your in-depth input on this Flying Ace , really great info to have as I get closer and closer to pulling the trigger
Appreciate 1
MMMM6GC275.00
      04-20-2020, 08:58 PM   #16
AlpineKing
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M6 GC

Quote:

Overall, with the windows down, the exhaust is mind blowing. It gives the car the exotic car howl. It turns heads and puts a sme on my face, and even send chills down my spine. It's that good.

Interior noise with the windows up:. With ASD, my opinion is that overall, it sounds "boomy". Like a muffled consistent noise, neither loud nor annoying, it's just an omnipresent noise.

I will find it shocking if you do not like this exhaust based on your described needs. The exhaust is a classy sound, almost perfectly fit to the character of the car.

Btw, I've experienced both the stock ZCP exhaust and the Eisenmann Race. The Eisenmann Race is in a class by itself. It comes down to preference, but that one is loud. I was driving on front of a M6 with the Eisenmann, and I can hear that car the entire time during my drive, and I was on front of him, that's how insanely loud it is. Tht owner ultimately switched to the M Performance. I feel like living with the Eisenmann as a daily driver would get tiring.

100% agree with this analysis!

The deactivation of the ASD was fantastic for the cabin noise. I couldn't stand driving at 75mph at 2k rpm and hearing the artificial drone coming through the speakers.

The M performance exhaust is a very refined sound that is subtle but still has a fantastic sound when you put your foot into it.

Personally, while the Eisenmann exhaust is great to hear sound clips of, I couldn't see myself living day to day with it.
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2020, 10:39 AM   #17
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineKing_M6GC View Post
100% agree with this analysis!

The deactivation of the ASD was fantastic for the cabin noise. I couldn't stand driving at 75mph at 2k rpm and hearing the artificial drone coming through the speakers.

The M performance exhaust is a very refined sound that is subtle but still has a fantastic sound when you put your foot into it.

Personally, while the Eisenmann exhaust is great to hear sound clips of, I couldn't see myself living day to day with it.
Thanks for the input on this -- side note I have been following your build thread and the car is looking great, was never really a fan of taillight tint until I saw how yours turned out and I may end up copying you..

Have you driven a different M6 with the MPE system on it? I noticed you have a different setup going on your car (sounds great). Curious also if you've heard the MPE system on cold start in person and what your opinions are on volume
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 10:51 AM   #18
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

I have an Fi exhaust with catless downpipes. i am in a convertible and id say the interior noise is meh. if i drop the rear window its fantastic! In my friends M6 coupe he had catless and muffler deletes, and inside the car you cant hear anything i feel like, i mean its very insulated. you need to have the windows rolled down to hear anything
      04-21-2020, 12:03 PM   #19
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJohnson32 View Post
Thanks for the input on this -- side note I have been following your build thread and the car is looking great, was never really a fan of taillight tint until I saw how yours turned out and I may end up copying you..

Have you driven a different M6 with the MPE system on it? I noticed you have a different setup going on your car (sounds great). Curious also if you've heard the MPE system on cold start in person and what your opinions are on volume
Some owners have aftermarket downpipes which will increase the overall noise of the system. I chose the word "noise" for a reason. I don't think it adds to the MPE.

Cold start volume can also be adjusted. Check out my DIY thread. The MPE has a flap that opens at high pressure. The MPE is fairly quiet at start up, but if you keep the flaps open, it'll bark louder
      04-21-2020, 12:46 PM   #20
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagtagXMASTER View Post
I have an Fi exhaust with catless downpipes. i am in a convertible and id say the interior noise is meh. if i drop the rear window its fantastic! In my friends M6 coupe he had catless and muffler deletes, and inside the car you cant hear anything i feel like, i mean its very insulated. you need to have the windows rolled down to hear anything
Appreciate the insight on this, it's surprising to me that even with some pretty extensive exhaust modifications the interior cabin noise remains pretty calm on normal driving. I suppose this is a testament to the quality of the sound deadening that BMW has engineered into the car for better or for worse. I personally prefer quiet driving under normal circumstances as I think it is part of the character of the M6 as a GT car. However, I also want to be able to hear it when I want to as well so I like the idea of still being able to hear the note on aggressive throttle or having the windows down.

Quote:
Some owners have aftermarket downpipes which will increase the overall noise of the system. I chose the word "noise" for a reason. I don't think it adds to the MPE.

Cold start volume can also be adjusted. Check out my DIY thread. The MPE has a flap that opens at high pressure. The MPE is fairly quiet at start up, but if you keep the flaps open, it'll bark louder
I'm leaning towards not messing with the downpipes as it sounds like the MPE alone will be a fantastic solution for what I'm after. In terms of start up I don't mind the quick bark in the video below, but I believe this is a warm start since there is no high idle period, and it sounds like the valves are open the entire time too. This is what I would prefer cold starts to sound like as well. I understand its a divisive topic on the purpose of a cold start and its role to preheat the cats (mostly for emissions purposes) and allow the engine to reach safe temps for normal driving, but as long as I'm conscious of allowing for this I think I would be okay with a cold start delete. Correct me if my assumptions are wrong though.

Video isn't embedded because I wanted to skip the first 1:40 of the guy just talking about it lol

https://www.youtube.com/embed/vISDNP...&start=101
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 10:47 PM   #21
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Cold start noise is neither loud nor annoying with the flaps open. Just that aggressive growl you would expect from a 600 HP machine
      04-22-2020, 05:07 AM   #22
AlpineKing
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJohnson32 View Post

I think you may have me confused with Flo1989 and his build thread His build is coming together nicely and I'm also considering the taillight tint based on his turned out.

To your question, I have test driven an M6 with the regular exhaust and it is way too quiet for the vehicle. Luckily the car I ended up picking had the MPE on it, and it sounds 10x better. The MPE sounds great on cold start, good audible growl that settles down in 10 or so seconds.

To put it simply, I park in an underground garage and have yet to start my car without the door being open to hear.
Appreciate 1