BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-19-2018, 10:29 AM   #23
damageprone
Captain
531
Rep
973
Posts

Drives: '15 F80
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Casino

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
there is a long thread elsewhere in the forum about the Quickjack

It's friggin awesome

I've had two post lifts in the past but currently have a garage that's too short for it to fit, so now I use a quickjack.

They're easy to operate, pretty easy to move around and get out of the way when you aren't using them, very safe, and allow me to do all the car work I'd like to do except rod bearings.
Looking through your sig I was surprised that someone tackled the rod bearing job with them. Seems like a tight squeeze. I'm wondering if that was the extended version.

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 11:06 AM   #24
86Zed
Get off my lawn
86Zed's Avatar
United_States
437
Rep
728
Posts

Drives: 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: USA

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Whichever genius thinks this is in the same planet as a jack and stands, please post a video of how you raise your car to the height the QJ raises it in 30 seconds, which is what it takes me with the QJ in complete safety. I sense a Darwin Award coming up soon
Bingo. For those curious, even the slammed race car can drive in/out over these.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow5146.50

      10-19-2018, 11:46 AM   #25
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
1267
Rep
1,881
Posts

Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
they give plenty of space. I've done multiple full exhaust systems with mine in multiple cars

The two platforms have quick disconnects so you can easily separate the device. I've only done this once or twice, the rest of the time the quickjack sits slightly to the side of my car so I don't have run over them every day -- i don't think they're made be run over


Anyone who says this is similar to jack stands and a jack has absolutely no clue what they're talking about. In AER we have 10 guys and 4 giant jacks and we still take the QuickJack.
Jacking up a car to a proper height is quite dangerous and takes forever to do it right.

Whichever genius thinks this is in the same planet as a jack and stands, please post a video of how you raise your car to the height the QJ raises it in 30 seconds, which is what it takes me with the QJ in complete safety. I sense a Darwin Award coming up soon

In Watkins Glen, a nice big racetrack, the mechanic shop that's on site has the regular quickjack. They use theirs nonstop, for years, and it still works perfectly.

Thank you for confirming what i thought to be the case. In my shop we cannot have 2 post lifts, due to zoning restrictions and the building being historic, blah blah blah. I always hated to see my guys doing body repairs with cars on jack stands, i think i may have to grab one of these quickjacks and give it a shot.... working on my personal cars with the quick jack will be a nice bonus.
__________________
I am never able to post pictures on forums, all my pics are on IG @baye30 https://www.instagram.com/baye30/
Current Garage - [2011 E90 M3 ZCP] [2005 E53 X5 3.0 Sport] [1988 E30 325IS 24V]
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow5146.50

      10-19-2018, 12:00 PM   #26
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
5147
Rep
6,794
Posts

Drives: E90M/E92M/F80CS/X5 35/MiniCS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by damageprone View Post
Looking through your sig I was surprised that someone tackled the rod bearing job with them. Seems like a tight squeeze. I'm wondering if that was the extended version.

I rent out a full sized lift (at a shop) when I do rod bearing jobs. Other than that I can do everything at home in the Quick Jack.

Most people do not do rod bearings at home, so it should be a moot point.

People have done rod bearing jobs on jack stands and Quick Jacks, just not me.
Appreciate 1
wdb2235.00

      10-19-2018, 12:23 PM   #27
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
7274
Rep
14,376
Posts

Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCM3 View Post
Are you seeing something im not? it looks like the quick jacks allow for alot of work space under the car, being as how they lift from the jacking points on the side of the car. Are you thinking of a scissor lift? those are completely useless for anything under the car...

Also why does everybody comment on how you have to lug these around? Cant you just leave them in one spot and drive over them into your parking spot? Are they not meant to be driven over on a daily basis?
The quickjack blocks the entire sides of the car. Sometimes you need to go under the car from the sides. Jackstands keep the sides open.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 01:11 PM   #28
damageprone
Captain
531
Rep
973
Posts

Drives: '15 F80
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Casino

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
The quickjack blocks the entire sides of the car. Sometimes you need to go under the car from the sides. Jackstands keep the sides open.
I can see where that would be an issue. Just installing the side skirts on the car would not have worked with the quick jacks, but I can tell you it was a PITA with a jack and jack stands.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 01:31 PM   #29
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
7274
Rep
14,376
Posts

Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
they give plenty of space. I've done multiple full exhaust systems with mine in multiple cars

The two platforms have quick disconnects so you can easily separate the device. I've only done this once or twice, the rest of the time the quickjack sits slightly to the side of my car so I don't have run over them every day -- i don't think they're made be run over


Anyone who says this is similar to jack stands and a jack has absolutely no clue what they're talking about. In AER we have 10 guys and 4 giant jacks and we still take the QuickJack.
Jacking up a car to a proper height is quite dangerous and takes forever to do it right.

Whichever genius thinks this is in the same planet as a jack and stands, please post a video of how you raise your car to the height the QJ raises it in 30 seconds, which is what it takes me with the QJ in complete safety. I sense a Darwin Award coming up soon

In Watkins Glen, a nice big racetrack, the mechanic shop that's on site has the regular quickjack. They use theirs nonstop, for years, and it still works perfectly.
Darwin, LOL.
__________________
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow5146.50

      10-19-2018, 02:05 PM   #30
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
5147
Rep
6,794
Posts

Drives: E90M/E92M/F80CS/X5 35/MiniCS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
The quickjack blocks the entire sides of the car. Sometimes you need to go under the car from the sides. Jackstands keep the sides open.
Yes. They block the area between the jack stands

So unless you are installing side skirts or replacing the jack blocks, the quick jack works perfectly for everything
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 08:34 PM   #31
chrispitude
Private First Class
28
Rep
141
Posts

Drives: E91 325xiT 6MT, F31 328xdT
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Allentown, PA

iTrader: (0)

FYI, group buy/discount code going on here:

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...d.php?t=412773
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2019, 10:21 AM   #32
FaRKle!
Colonel
United_States
1586
Rep
2,069
Posts

Drives: '17 328d Sport Wagon
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispitude View Post
FYI, group buy/discount code going on here:

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...d.php?t=412773
That's not a very good discount for the 5000lb models. You can get them at Costco for $1100 (including shipping) all day every day (and sometimes they drop to $1k). Also when eBay has their sales ($100 off) you can typically get these prices too.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 12:37 PM   #33
damageprone
Captain
531
Rep
973
Posts

Drives: '15 F80
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Casino

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
That's not a very good discount for the 5000lb models. You can get them at Costco for $1100 (including shipping) all day every day (and sometimes they drop to $1k). Also when eBay has their sales ($100 off) you can typically get these prices too.
Agreed, ok if you're looking for different models though
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 09:54 AM   #34
chrispitude
Private First Class
28
Rep
141
Posts

Drives: E91 325xiT 6MT, F31 328xdT
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Allentown, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by damageprone View Post
Agreed, ok if you're looking for different models though
Exactly. I'm a Costco member myself, but as much as I'd like the extra discount, I'm getting the BL-7000SLX (plus the extension rail kits and SUV adapter kit, neither of which Costco sells).

One week to go! (Discount expires 2/1/2019.)
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 05:00 PM   #35
Thorin
Second Lieutenant
104
Rep
251
Posts

Drives: e91 6MT ZSP
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

PSA: Costco has the BL-7000SLX now, and it's on sale.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2020, 10:42 AM   #36
FaRKle!
Colonel
United_States
1586
Rep
2,069
Posts

Drives: '17 328d Sport Wagon
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (2)

Just a heads up on the QJ. The side jack points on the G20 3-series are too far apart to use a QJ with it. If you have an EXT length you can position the skids orthogonal to the car and reach them, but if you want to use the traditional one skid on each side, you'll need the 6000XLT.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 04:20 PM   #37
jimbobiggens
First Lieutenant
jimbobiggens's Avatar
United_States
727
Rep
389
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i xDrive
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: jackson tn

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I bought one of those 5000 lb quickjacks this Sunday for 1399.00 from a popular DIY auto restoration company. Then I happened upon this thread. Ouch. But maybe not - today I received an email from their security department stating because of covid-19 they needed more information or they were going to cancel the order.
So I replied by coping and pasting a link to Costco's page offering said quickjack for 1199.00 and told them if they could not match Costco's price to go ahead and cancel the order.
We'll see what happens.

Update:
They cancelled my order so I bought one from Costco. Thanks guys!
__________________
I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example.

Last edited by jimbobiggens; 05-05-2020 at 06:54 PM..
Appreciate 2
wdb2235.00

      05-05-2020, 08:49 PM   #38
aerostar
Major
641
Rep
1,198
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobiggens View Post
I bought one of those 5000 lb quickjacks this Sunday for 1399.00 from a popular DIY auto restoration company. Then I happened upon this thread. Ouch. But maybe not - today I received an email from their security department stating because of covid-19 they needed more information or they were going to cancel the order.
So I replied by coping and pasting a link to Costco's page offering said quickjack for 1199.00 and told them if they could not match Costco's price to go ahead and cancel the order.
We'll see what happens.

Update:
They cancelled my order so I bought one from Costco. Thanks guys!
Because they probably buy it from a wholesaler like Costco for a similar price.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 12:48 PM   #39
Thorin
Second Lieutenant
104
Rep
251
Posts

Drives: e91 6MT ZSP
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobiggens View Post
I bought one of those 5000 lb quickjacks this Sunday for 1399.00 from a popular DIY auto restoration company. Then I happened upon this thread. Ouch. But maybe not - today I received an email from their security department stating because of covid-19 they needed more information or they were going to cancel the order.
So I replied by coping and pasting a link to Costco's page offering said quickjack for 1199.00 and told them if they could not match Costco's price to go ahead and cancel the order.
We'll see what happens.

Update:
They cancelled my order so I bought one from Costco. Thanks guys!
And now Costco has it on sale! If you just bought from them call them to see if they will honor the difference in price.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2020, 01:10 PM   #40
NorthCountryGuy
The Quiet One
NorthCountryGuy's Avatar
1629
Rep
579
Posts

Drives: M6, E70, E71
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Iím right here...

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 X6 M  [0.00]
2013 M6  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i Spo ...  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i  [0.00]
I have the 7000 lb. Quickjack set up and am very happy with it. My M6 is low but these are a gem for it. One must get the grooved rubber blocks from Quickjack so you can lift the beam while securing the block/jack in the pinch weld. These have worked great for my M6, 750, X5 and X6.
__________________
2013 M6 Coupe Sakhir Orange Metallic / Sakhir Orange \ Black Merino - The Prince
2013 X5 LCI 35i Jet Black / Black SensaTec - The Horse
2013 X5 LCI 35i Space Grey Metallic / Black Nevada // Sport Pkg - Daughterís
2013 X6 M Sapphire Black Metallic / Black Merino \ Carbon Fiber - Sonís
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2020, 02:02 PM   #41
jimbobiggens
First Lieutenant
jimbobiggens's Avatar
United_States
727
Rep
389
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i xDrive
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: jackson tn

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorin View Post
And now Costco has it on sale! If you just bought from them call them to see if they will honor the difference in price.
Thanks! I just requested a price adjustment!
__________________
I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 02:24 PM   #42
Drop the hammer
First Lieutenant
176
Rep
350
Posts

Drives: '17 F87 M2 AW, Dct
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Iíd like to get the 7000 version, so I can lift my heavy SUVís and trucks. Will that model work on an M2?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 05:03 PM   #43
86Zed
Get off my lawn
86Zed's Avatar
United_States
437
Rep
728
Posts

Drives: 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: USA

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the hammer View Post
Iíd like to get the 7000 version, so I can lift my heavy SUVís and trucks. Will that model work on an M2?
Bust out the tape measure - make sure it'll clear between the wheels

https://www.quickjack.com/why-quickj...for-quickjack/
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2020, 10:56 PM   #44
fastboatster
Lieutenant
128
Rep
459
Posts

Drives: 2009 bmw 328i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

This is great, I think I already got nearly half of the current sales price invested into all the jack stands and floorjacks and I still can't jack up my car without rolling it on the race ramps (+ more money). Not to mention that the level of comfort is probably very different when you raise the car 20 vs 13 inches.
So yeah, good deal but I'm really trying to figure out what else is available out there. I noticed there's also some kind of tilting jack available from Dannmar I believe and wonder if somebody has ever used it before. If I had a semipermanent place to work on my car where I could drill into the floor, I would buy a lift without a doubt, though.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:14 AM.




6post.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST