BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

08-22-2021, 01:14 PM   #1
FinalRenegade
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M6 GranCoupe | Last Model Year

2018 M6 value from the dealer's perspective

Bit of a funny story to never trust dealers

BMW Dealer:
I had received an email from a local dealer where I've purchased my 2018 650 GC from back in 2018, apparently, they're looking to buy any car that's newer than 2016 with less than 100K KM (62K Miles).

So I emailed them my VIN, spec, etc. My car is as loaded as you can get without carbon exterior package, carbon brakes, and night vision, but has titanium exhaust and an upgraded carbon diffuser. 33K KM (20K Miles)
I get an email back stating that it's worth about 70-75K CAD, so about 58K USD MAX, the same dealer has in inventory a 2019 X5 50i is 78K CAD... LOL and it has ugly M color Kidneys that someone "tastefully" added
The 2018 M5 with 24K KM (15K Miles), glass sunroof (who spec'd this), extended leather instead of full leather, and premium package, in Donington Grey is worth about 96K CAD, 75K USD.

The absolutely ridiculous gap in pricing lol

Porsche Dealer:

Quoted me a tad bit higher at 80K, but says expect to receive 15% less than retail, and offered a "far superior and faster" Panamera GTS, not sure if he's aware of the HP gap lol, for 150K CAD, which is 116K USD
And that car has a small insurance claim against it LOL

Is my precious M6 Gran Coupe only worth this much???

Looks like its more reason to keep it
Past : 2016 428i Gran Coupe (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 11:36 AM   #2
AlpineKing
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M6 GC

Eh, part of their game tbh, lowball you to take maximum advantage on the potential profit upside. From a similar recent experience, they will immediately try to devalue your car due to the potential for "things they would have to change". This was the gist of a recent conversation:

Dealer: Oh the car will likely need to be detailed and cleaned up
Me: Car is completely clean, detailed every couple of weeks and is ceramic coated
Dealer: Car will likely have rock chips and scuffs on the bumper
Me: Car's front end is fully PPF'd
Dealer: Well these cars chew through tires so we will need to swap them out, especially the rears
Me: Car has brand new Michelin 4S's on it

and it went on and on and on...

There's no salesmanship anymore since internet pricing has drawn down margins, it's just a race to the lowest price and as a result, these ridiculous low ball offers.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 08:04 PM   #3
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
You can't compare your M6 to other BMW's and argue why your price is higher/lower. Just because a M5 spec'd very similar to yours with similar mileage is priced at X dollars, doesn't mean your M6 should be the same price.

Seeing you're located in Toronto, most dealerships in the GTA use TradeRev to come up with a trade-in value, there's no more "pen/paper" appraisals. If M6's on TradeRev wholesale for 75k, expect your trade-in value to be very close to that number. While that Porsche dealership gave you an additional $5k, he is absolutely correct that anyone on a trade-in should expect anywhere from 15-20% less than retail because that is generally what used car margins are from a dealership. Cars like the X5 are priced higher because there is more demand for these cars. You're expecting some number for your M6 but to a dealership, it's a car that is not common and hard to move and wholesale data would likely show that M6's go for something a lot less than what you expect.

I'm not saying that there are no dealerships that will try to maximize profits and give lower offers, but trade-in's today is drastically different than trade-in's in the past where you have a used car sales manager go out and appraise based on what they believe the value should be. All trade-in's are now compared to wholesale prices with relevant and up to date data.
Appreciate 0