BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

02-01-2020, 03:27 PM   #1
uddinsa
Rep
Drives: M6

Coolant level for M6 grand coupe 2016

Hi guys need help on topping up coolant level

Low amber coolant top up alert came on dashboard

How do we go about topping up?

I noticed there are 2 caps when ur facing the car from the front hood open one on the top right and other on the left.

Left one i can see it topped to the max as i can see its on the mark.

The right one i cant see any mark at all, just a tunnel how high is the water level suppose to be ?? And why are their two? Which one does what.

I filled the right one with approx 2litres still nothing happening still showing low coolant.

Anyone has any ideas please
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 04:59 PM   #2
Kkgy79
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by uddinsa View Post

I noticed there are 2 caps when ur facing the car from the front hood open one on the top right and other on the left.

The right one i cant see any mark at all, just a tunnel how high is the water level suppose to be ?? And why are their two? Which one does what.

I filled the right one with approx 2litres still nothing happening still showing low coolant.

All the way up to 1inch down of the cap.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 06:08 PM   #3
JBF650
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F13 LCI 650i Coupe

Quote:

Ahhh wasn’t it you that had a brand new engine fitted? Take the car back to the dealership ASAP and have them show you as well as top up. This doesn’t bode well .....
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 06:10 PM   #4
uddinsa
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBF650 View Post
Quote:

Ahhh wasn’t it you that had a brand new engine fitted? Take the car back to the dealership ASAP and have them show you as well as top up. This doesn’t bode well .....
Yea called them they said to take it back on monday,
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 09:31 PM   #5
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Not sure how similar the engine in the M6 is to the 2013-2019 N63TU in the 650....but the N63TU has two separate cooling system. One is for the engine cooling...and the other is for the charge air cooling (to cool the turbos) and the two engine DME.

On the n63TU...the charge air cooling system reservoir is up front and center...and when you screw the cap off you can see the MAX fill line. The reservoir for the engine coolant is in the left front fender and the fill pipe is at the rear left of the engine bay (on the rear right if you're standing in front of the car looking toward the cabin.

See the info below as to how to check the fill pipe for the N63TU...if the engine in the M6 is similar...the fill pipe is probably similar, too:
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
Whipple260.50
      02-03-2020, 09:55 AM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Did a quick search on the TIS website...and the S63 engine coolant is checked the same way as the N63TU...you measure down the fill pipe at the back of the engine bay:
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 02-03-2020 at 10:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 12:52 AM   #7
aann
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f13 M6 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Did a quick search on the TIS website...and the S63 engine coolant is checked the same way as the N63TU...you measure down the fill pipe at the back of the engine bay:
Hey , do you know how to check the engine cooling level ?
I cant tell if mine is full or not 🤷*♂️
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 10:30 AM   #8
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aann View Post
Hey , do you know how to check the engine cooling level ?
I cant tell if mine is full or not ��*♂️
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7
As outlined in the iillustrated instructions from the TIS above...use/create/make a tool that has marks between 4½" - 6¼" from the top (this is the 110mm - 160mm measurement mentioned in the instructions above).

If you have an old ruler, chopsticks. straw, or even a long handled utensil from your kitchen (like a spatula or wooden spoon)...this can be made into a tool to measure your engine coolant.

Unscrew the cap to the coolant filler neck & stick the tool down into the opening...pull your measuring tool back out and see if the coolant level is in-between the two marks you made. If it is...then the level is fine. If the level is below the lowest mark (the 160mm or 6¼ inch mark)...then you need to add coolant.

I made my measuring tool out of a pipe cleaner. I put a bend/hook at the top of the pipe cleaner (to prevent dropping it down into the filler neck) then drew marks at the designated fill levels with a sharpie pen.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 10-03-2020 at 03:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 09:00 AM   #9
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
As outlined in the iillustrated instructions from the TIS above...use/create/make a tool that has marks between 4½" - 6¼" from the top (this is the 110mm - 160mm measurement mentioned in the instructions above).

I made my measuring tool out of a pipe cleaner. I put a bend/hook at the top of the pipe cleaner (to prevent dropping it down into the filler neck) then drew marks at the designated fill levels with a sharpie pen.
Here’s a pic of the simple engine coolant measuring tool I made from a pipe cleaner. Again, the hook/bend (on the right in pic below) was put there to facilitate a “stop” at the top to prevent dropping the pipe cleaner down inside the filler neck...and if I still dropped it..it would give me something to “snag” to lift it back out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 07:14 PM   #10
Infiniteflow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6GC SMB

Quote:
I can't even open the cap. I try to twist it open but thing won't budge wtf
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 03:58 PM   #11
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniteflow View Post
I can't even open the cap. I try to twist it open but thing won't budge wtf
Perhaps some coolant has risen to the top and has dried and sealed the cap. Try a gentle tap with the handle of a screwdriver to see if that can break the seal. Also do this after the engine has cooled down.

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 03:32 PM   #12
Infiniteflow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6GC SMB

Quote:
Perhaps some coolant has risen to the top and has dried and sealed the cap. Try a gentle tap with the handle of a screwdriver to see if that can break the seal. Also do this after the engine has cooled down.
Oh I figured it out.. it was pressured closed.. I had to press it down and twist lol
Appreciate 0