BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      09-09-2019, 07:29 PM   #1
hirkaismyname
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 CP GC

Phone Mounts

I am finding it increasing difficult to find a good place to put my phone whilst I drive -- (I don't use CarPlay) -- can the rest of the 6post family share pictures of the their own phone mounting setups and suggest brands to use. I don't like putting magnetic plates in-between the phone and cover. I've seen those utilized a lot but my wireless charging gets affected by this tactic.

Thus, shooting for something that slips in -- and has high utilization is preferred. Even more if it has space on the bottom to allow for your iphone cable to plug directly in (in the case you're not using wireless charging).

Thanks for the help gang.

Best,
H
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 09:56 AM   #2
Chesie
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 530i X-Drive

Garage List
OP,
I know you said you didn't want a magnetic mount, because it interferes with your wireless charging, but not all magnetic mounts are like that. I use the Pitaka case (with magnet inside the case itself), along with its wireless charging magnetic mount. I purchased the CD-slot mounting option and have that slot wedged in the gap between the dashboard fascia and the center stack (a/c, radio, etc). This setup is rock solid and keeps the phone away from the center stack controls and shifter.

Pitaka has a combo deal that includes the wireless charging mount, phone case, and high-speed cigarette adapter (the combo I have; it charges the phone "quickly"). I have the USB-c cable discretely routed behind the dashboard fascia, down to the 12v port under the glove compartment.

The webpage for the Pitaka deal is:

https://www.ipitaka.com/products/new...29384619163718

I do not work for Pitaka, but their products are excellent. The phone case is super-slim and durable. It does not interfere with any of my wireless charging stands.

Regards,
Danny
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2019, 09:58 AM   #3
mikerx5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 F06, 2022 G06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesie View Post
OP,
I know you said you didn't want a magnetic mount, because it interferes with your wireless charging, but not all magnetic mounts are like that. I use the Pitaka case (with magnet inside the case itself), along with its wireless charging magnetic mount. I purchased the CD-slot mounting option and have that slot wedged in the gap between the dashboard fascia and the center stack (a/c, radio, etc). This setup is rock solid and keeps the phone away from the center stack controls and shifter.

Pitaka has a combo deal that includes the wireless charging mount, phone case, and high-speed cigarette adapter (the combo I have; it charges the phone "quickly"). I have the USB-c cable discretely routed behind the dashboard fascia, down to the 12v port under the glove compartment.

The webpage for the Pitaka deal is:

https://www.ipitaka.com/products/new...29384619163718

I do not work for Pitaka, but their products are excellent. The phone case is super-slim and durable. It does not interfere with any of my wireless charging stands.

Regards,
Danny
How does that cd slot holder work exactly?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 05:48 PM   #4
Chesie
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerx5 View Post
The cd slot holder holds the mount in the cd slot with tabs that extend to the edges of the slot itself.

I didn’t like where the phone was placed using the CD slot holder, nor did I like the adapter that mounts on the a/c vent, so i used the cd slot adapter and wedged it between the radio/ac stack and the fascia of the dashboard. There is just enough of a gap between these structures so the cd slot adapter fits tightly.

If you look closely at the picture, you can see the top and bottom of the (very thin) cd slot adapter wedged in the gap.
Appreciate 1
mikerx5438.50
      09-11-2019, 07:26 PM   #5
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerx5 View Post
I have been using Pitaka cases for my iPhones for the passed 2 years there awesome products and crazy durable
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 03:41 AM   #6
MelbourneFinn
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 G30 M550i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [9.00]
Phone goes into the door pocket (no holder needed ��), or to the snap-in adapter if needs charging, and all relevant functionality is still available via the head unit...
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 07:42 AM   #7
shagler
Private
Rep
Drives: M850i

Garage List
2019 BMW M850i  [0.00]
I am replicating post from 6-Series Forum
(https://www.6post.com/forums/showpos...3&postcount=20) - This is part of longer post about my recent installation of UniChip Wireless CarPlay retrofit in my 2014...see the rest of that post if interested.

The top part of the dock is from and old Twelve South HiRise and I simply added two small spacers below before screwing in a couple of small screws from the bottom of the cupholder into the dock. I also painted the dock from it's original aluminum to black. The photo shows it isn't a great job, but it's normally so dark down there that I haven't noticed.

Lastly, I had a couple of plastic curved L-brackets that I salvaged from an old iPhone holder and double-sticky taped them to the underside of the lid. This simply keeps the iPhone from moving side-to-side. They are backwards from their original use (rubber part is normally towards the phone), but I liked making it easy to mount the phone and the curves, together with my silicone case, work great.

For those curious, nothing changed with the lid, so it works normally and is usually shut when I don't have my phone charging. Also, the cupholders still work except for the fact that the L-brackets cause whatever is in the cupholder to lean forward...I am sure that I could change the L-brackets to something else and fix that part, but since I really never use the cupholders, it hasn't mattered.

S
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 06:12 PM   #8
Chesie
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Close up pictures of the Pitaka CD mount. Posted by request.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
mikerx5438.50
      10-05-2019, 05:41 PM   #9
MelbourneFinn
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 G30 M550i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [9.00]
I suppose it’s different for you guys in America where you a) are still allowed to and b) still think you need to use mobiles for various things other than speaking (h/f covers this) when driving... The snap-in adapter provides perfect option for charging (if needed), other than that all clutter (phone, key fob etc) better stay in pockets or wherever they are when not in the car...
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 12:37 PM   #10
bbrakstad
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

I have been using www.proclipusa.com for several vehicles over the last decade. Mounted on the right side to not block the screen.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0