BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

09-16-2019, 10:37 AM   #1
EZgo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

I'm looking at buying 2015+ 6 series...question

I've run across many 6 series ads from dealers and individuals alike the state that the car has Driving Assistant Plus (not just Driving Assistant), but when I run the VIN through Mdecoder or others many times "Driving Assistant Plus" does not show up as an included option.

For example VIN: WBA6B2C56FGB99675 listed on Cars.com
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...8591/overview/
At first, I wrote this off to the sellers being incorrect, but then I started seeing it so much I thought there could be some other explanation. There was one original-owner private-party listing that listed the car as having Driving Assistant Plus but did not show on the VIN run so I called and spoke with the owner.

He had already sold the car but I asked specifically about why he thought the car had Driving Assistant Plus. He said he still had the original sticker and it was specifically listed as an included option, and then he rattled off some the features of the Plus package.

Is there any reason why the online VIN decoders would give a false negative on that?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 12:25 PM   #2
iamvanja
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 640i GC white on red

Don't know about the VIN decoders, but if it is has at least 4 buttons on the bottom left of the steering wheel, it has Driver Assistance Plus. I think the 5th one is night vision which is pretty rare and is a separate package.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 01:02 PM   #3
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamvanja View Post
Don't know about the VIN decoders, but if it is has at least 4 buttons on the bottom left of the steering wheel, it has Driver Assistance Plus. I think the 5th one is night vision which is pretty rare and is a separate package.
Yep.

Remember, DAP in the 6 series is not the same as the current DAPs, which actually try to keep the steering wheel within the lane. The DAPs in the 6 just give vibration feedback.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 01:53 PM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

There are certain packages (especially the ones that keep changing during the production run)...are not listed on the VIN decoder sites as a "package". What you'll see are the option codes that are included in that package.

One way to educate yourself to wade through the VIN decoder is download an ordering and pricing guide PDF for the model year that you are shopping for. If it is not in the sticky threads at the top of the forum your on...then simply google it.

For example...type BMW 2015 f06 f12 f13 ordering and pricing guide into a google/internet search box. That guide will list all of the included feature's option codes in the specific "packages" for that model year...and this will help reveal how the car is optioned when you decode the VIN.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
EZgo53.50
      09-16-2019, 03:36 PM   #5
EZgo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Good tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
Yep.

Remember, DAP in the 6 series is not the same as the current DAPs, which actually try to keep the steering wheel within the lane. The DAPs in the 6 just give vibration feedback.
Good to know, I didn't realize that. I assumed it'd be the same as my 2016 740i where it keeps in lane.

My main reason for wanting DAP is because my understanding is that only DAP vehicles have any type of highway-speed autonomous braking for hazards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
There are certain packages (especially the ones that keep changing during the production run)...are not listed on the VIN decoder sites as a "package". What you'll see are the option codes that are included in that package.

One way to educate yourself to wade through the VIN decoder is download an ordering and pricing guide PDF for the model year that you are shopping for. If it is not in the sticky threads at the top of the forum your on...then simply google it.

For example...type BMW 2015 f06 f12 f13 ordering and pricing guide into a google/internet search box. That guide will list all of the included feature's option codes in the specific "packages" for that model year...and this will help reveal how the car is optioned when you decode the VIN.
I'll check that out. "Driving Assistant Plus" does show up on the VIN decoders for some vehicles but maybe like you mentioned it's because of the package changing year-to-year.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 05:17 PM   #6
iamvanja
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZgo View Post
Good tip.
My main reason for wanting DAP is because my understanding is that only DAP vehicles have any type of highway-speed autonomous braking for hazards.
DAP won't give you that though. My 2015 is aware of the vehicle in front, but it will just yell at you if you get too close. It won't brake (or maybe it will, but I never got too close )
Appreciate 1
EZgo53.50
      09-16-2019, 06:33 PM   #7
arucano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Grand Coupe CP

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
DAP won't give you that though. My 2015 is aware of the vehicle in front, but it will just yell at you if you get too close. It won't brake (or maybe it will, but I never got too close )
The warning is flashing a car in the HUD and pre-tentioning the seat belt. That is as far as I have gone..... on my car.
Appreciate 1
EZgo53.50
      09-16-2019, 06:53 PM   #8
murph914
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i Convertible

What you are searching for is the ordering guide. This gives you what was included in what package. The pricing guide will give you more info including what things cost, but also what combos you will likely see. This, coupled with vin decoding allows you to go into deep ocd and figure out exactly what you want, or what a car has. As others have stated, it is often much more reliable and faster to look for the right buttons than to bother reading sales write ups which are often wrong.

2015 Ordering Guide.
2015 Pricing Guide
Bimmerfest Source
Appreciate 1
EZgo53.50
      09-16-2019, 06:56 PM   #9
Keysersoze819
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by arucano View Post
Quote:
The warning is flashing a car in the HUD and pre-tentioning the seat belt. That is as far as I have gone..... on my car.
It does auto brake to avoid collision. FYI. Ymmv
Appreciate 1
EZgo53.50
      09-16-2019, 07:09 PM   #10
murph914
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysersoze819 View Post
It does auto brake to avoid collision. FYI. Ymmv
That auto braking question comes up all the time here. Right up there with what exactly does sport and sport + do!??

Here is a thread with a few good explanations. https://www.6post.com/forums/showthr...hlight=braking
Appreciate 1
EZgo53.50
      09-16-2019, 07:10 PM   #11
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

So, I can't speak for other years, but I have the build sheet from when I ordered - here's what it looked like for a 2017 650.

ZBD - Driver Assistance Plus ($1,700)

This included the collision detection, lane departure, and blind spot detection (5AG). These are THREE of the FIVE potential buttons you'll find to the lower left of the steering wheel. Included in Driver Assistance Plus was also:

-- 5DL : Side and Top View Cameras

-- 8TH : Speed Limit Info

It's important to note that the FOURTH button is to turn on/off Heads Up Display, which was not part of ZBD, and likely offered in various packages that changed over the years. For a 2017 650, Heads Up Display was part of "ZMH - M Sport Edition" ($5,300) and specifically was "610 - Head-up Display." Presumably, it would have been available within a different package (e.g. Executive Package) for a non M-Sport Edition car - mine just happens to be an M-Sport.

The FIFTH button is Night Vision, and it was offered as a stand-alone option: "6UK - Night Vision and Pedestrian Detection" ($2,300).

Now, when you ordered ZBD - Driver Assistance Plus, you THEN had the option of purchasing "5AT - ACC Stop & Go + Active Driver Assistant." This is essentially the package that added automatic cruise control (you'll find the additional buttons on the left side of the steering wheel), which also included the ability to "stop & go" - come to a complete stop and go again.

Beyond the active cruise, however, the radar system that comes with it also changes some of the capabilities of the collision warning and emergency braking system. BMW has never been overly clear about this (the manual is littered with difficult to understand nuances), but what I can ascertain is that the radar capabilities essentially complement the camera system that's otherwise the sole source of collision sensory input in the regular Driver Assistance Package, which therefore adds some capability for emergency braking.

The Night Vision package also adds Pedestrian Detection to the safety systems, which allows the car to not only detect but brake if there's a person stepping out into the road - clearly at night, as well.
Appreciate 1
EZgo53.50
      09-16-2019, 09:27 PM   #12
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Correct ezmaass.
Appreciate 1
EZgo53.50
      09-17-2019, 11:13 AM   #13
iamvanja
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
It's important to note that the FOURTH button is to turn on/off Heads Up Display, which was not part of ZBD
Yup, you're right. Thanks for the correction. I know when I was buying mine, it had to have those 4 buttons, forgot that the 4th one was HUD.
Appreciate 1
EZgo53.50
      09-17-2019, 11:17 AM   #14
iamvanja
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph914 View Post
That auto braking question comes up all the time here. Right up there with what exactly does sport and sport + do!??

Here is a thread with a few good explanations. https://www.6post.com/forums/showthr...hlight=braking
That thread is also pretty vague.
To me it makes sense that auto-braking would come with adaptive cruise control.
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2019, 02:10 PM   #15
murph914
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I agree, but it seems to be much harder to pinpoint exactly what it does, and with what options. If your car has the warning, and you have cruise control that can apply the brakes, it seems to reason the hardware is there then to apply brakes in an emergency. I agree with you that if you have active cruise control than your car should definitely have the ability to brake itself in an emergency. However, we live in a world ruled by litigation, so who knows. Where's my remote start?
Appreciate 1
EZgo53.50
      09-17-2019, 05:27 PM   #16
iamvanja
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Where's my remote start?
Going a bit off-topic here, but 100000x this.
Was pretty disappointed to learn that the only way to do this on our cars is to bury a separate key somewhere in the car....
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 07:33 PM   #17
Keysersoze819
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
Quote:
I agree, but it seems to be much harder to pinpoint exactly what it does, and with what options. If your car has the warning, and you have cruise control that can apply the brakes, it seems to reason the hardware is there then to apply brakes in an emergency. I agree with you that if you have active cruise control than your car should definitely have the ability to brake itself in an emergency. However, we live in a world ruled by litigation, so who knows. Where's my remote start?
I don't have adaptive cruise control but 100% have emergency braking, almost had a collision head on narrow road and car slammed on brakes. Also pedestrian warning works and I don't have night vision.

I do have all other packages

lane assist
HUD
Blind spot
Surround cameras

2014 Gran coupe
Appreciate 1
EZgo53.50
      09-17-2019, 10:23 PM   #18
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysersoze819 View Post
I don't have adaptive cruise control but 100% have emergency braking, almost had a collision head on narrow road and car slammed on brakes. Also pedestrian warning works and I don't have night vision.

I do have all other packages

lane assist
HUD
Blind spot
Surround cameras

2014 Gran coupe
I agree that you do not needs adaptive cruise or night vision for this system. But BMW is super-vague in how it works. I get the little red car icon fairly frequently while commuting, but have only seen the pedestrian warning once. But the manual makes it seem like the system only works at (unspecified) city speeds, and it makes it sound like it brakes some, but not a lot. You should read what the manual says. It's kinda weird. It's like lawyers really struggled to not make any actual commitments about a safety feature. If it does actually brake, it must be very last-second.
Appreciate 1
EZgo53.50
      09-18-2019, 08:06 PM   #19
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
I agree that you do not needs adaptive cruise or night vision for this system. But BMW is super-vague in how it works. I get the little red car icon fairly frequently while commuting, but have only seen the pedestrian warning once. But the manual makes it seem like the system only works at (unspecified) city speeds, and it makes it sound like it brakes some, but not a lot. You should read what the manual says. It's kinda weird. It's like lawyers really struggled to not make any actual commitments about a safety feature. If it does actually brake, it must be very last-second.
Agreed - lawyers definitely had their way with it.

I believe that ZBD gives you emergency braking, but it's based solely on the camera system. BMW tries to caveat its limitations. The ACC option adds radar sensors, and that likely explains some added "confidence" and therefore capability. I'd have to go back to the manual and re-read it, but I seem to recall there was distinction between X and Y capabilities here. Both quite vague, nonetheless.

Same goes for Pedestrian Detection. Again, it's based on the regular camera in your windshield (with ZBD), and that camera can only see in the daylight. I believe the programming is THERE, however, to detect and likely brake. The Night Vision then adds the camera in the grille, which of course is capable of seeing heat signatures of people (and also animals) at night. So, they market this as an added level of capability.

I've had the night vision system engage a few times - people and animals - but only ONCE did it actually brake, and that was when a deer jumped out at about 4am (pitch dark) as I was coming around a blind corner. My foot was on the brake a split second after it popped up, but I'm glad it did its thing.
Appreciate 1
EZgo53.50
      09-23-2019, 05:46 PM   #20
EZgo
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks all for your responses!
Appreciate 0