BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

View Poll Results: Which Tuner is the Best
Dinan 3 16.67%
Mission 4 22.22%
AC-Schnitzer 0 0%
G-Power 0 0%
Turner Motorsport 0 0%
Burger Tuning 6 33.33%
Evolve 2 11.11%
Noelle 0 0%
Evotech 1 5.56%
PP-Performance 0 0%
Manhart Racing 0 0%
Kelleners Sport 0 0%
Active Autowerke 0 0%
Hamann 0 0%
VR (Vivid Racing) 0 0%
Evolution Tuning 0 0%
RaceChip USA 0 0%
ESS 2 11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-14-2019, 10:51 PM   #23
M6DYS
SPEED DEMON
M6DYS's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
80
Posts

Drives: BMW M6
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffxxx View Post
Is this directed towards me?
I believe that it is. Iím asking you the say question. Do you have the Bootmod3 tuner on your vehicle? If you do, can you give us your take on it?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 11:16 PM   #24
Jeffxxx
New Member
8
Rep
16
Posts

Drives: 2015 bmw m6 GC competition
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: San Diego-Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6DYS View Post
From the many data that I have read, Bootmod3 doesn’t do well as a stand alone tuner. In addition, many people have mentioned long term problems with the tuner. They say that it’s not good for daily driving. However, it seems to work decent on track tuned vehicles that are married to other tuners.

Maybe you could provide some insight on the Bootmod3 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6DYS View Post
I believe that it is. I’m asking you the say question. Do you have the Bootmod3 tuner on your vehicle? If you do, can you give us your take on it?
I just put the 91 octane stage 1 tune on. I've only driven the car once to test it afterwards. So my opinion isn't worth much. But it drives perfectly fine and made a significant difference in power. Not sure where daily driving issues would be coming from as it drives just like stock. The install was easy as well. I did a lot of reading about the bootmod3 across multiple forums for different vehicles and not sure if I recall many negatives about it. If you have a link to some that would be appreciated.

I have fabworx catless headers coming and I will map it to their stage 2 tune after install and run data logs to see how it looks.
__________________
2015 M6 GC competition
2002 supercharged LSB M3

Last edited by Jeffxxx; 04-14-2019 at 11:26 PM..
Appreciate 2
M6DYS13.50

      04-14-2019, 11:56 PM   #25
M6DYS
SPEED DEMON
M6DYS's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
80
Posts

Drives: BMW M6
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffxxx View Post
I just put the 91 octane stage 1 tune on. I've only driven the car once to test it afterwards. So my opinion isn't worth much. But it drives perfectly fine and made a significant difference in power. Not sure where daily driving issues would be coming from as it drives just like stock. The install was easy as well. I did a lot of reading about the bootmod3 across multiple forums for different vehicles and not sure if I recall many negatives about it. If you have a link to some that would be appreciated.

I have fabworx catless headers coming and I will map it to their stage 2 tune after install and run data logs to see how it looks.
There are several discussions on here regarding issues with the tune. Here’s a link for one of them. I don’t want to point fingers at any tuner. It would not be appropriate for me to talk bad about anything that I’ve not used myself. That’s why I am asking for you all to provide your feedback from your own firsthand experiences and knowledge. As for the daily driver issues that I have read about the tuner. The general consensus is that the bootmod3 runs at higher RPMs across the board. So, the cars run in launch mode type performance all the time. That’s like driving a NASCAR as your daily driver.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1501284

Last edited by M6DYS; 04-15-2019 at 12:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 11:58 PM   #26
M6DYS
SPEED DEMON
M6DYS's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
80
Posts

Drives: BMW M6
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1538916



https://www.***********.com/content....-engine-issues

https://bootmod3.atlassian.net/wiki/...ages/572456961
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 04:11 AM   #27
Mr. M6
FEEL THE POWER
Mr. M6's Avatar
Bahrain
65
Rep
327
Posts

Drives: M6 GC
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Bahrain

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M6DYS View Post
From the many data that I have read, Bootmod3 doesnít do well as a stand alone tuner. In addition, many people have mentioned long term problems with the tuner. They say that itís not good for daily driving. However, it seems to work decent on track tuned vehicles that are married to other tuners.

Maybe you could provide some insight on the Bootmod3 ?
i have bootmod3 stage 2 and running it almost 1 year now without any problems...

i daily use my car and i like it
__________________
M6 GC CP + AMS CATLESS DP + AKRAPOVIC EXHAUST + MSR INTAKE + BM3 HCP STAGE 2 =
Appreciate 1
M6DYS13.50

      04-15-2019, 04:35 PM   #28
M6DYS
SPEED DEMON
M6DYS's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
80
Posts

Drives: BMW M6
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. M6 View Post
i have bootmod3 stage 2 and running it almost 1 year now without any problems...

i daily use my car and i like it
Thatís good to know. What aftermarket parts do you currently have on your car? Like I mentioned earlier, this is actually a fact finding discussion. Not to tear down anyoneís product. Also, I do know that not everyone will have the same experiences. Thanks for your feedback.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 03:19 AM   #29
Mr. M6
FEEL THE POWER
Mr. M6's Avatar
Bahrain
65
Rep
327
Posts

Drives: M6 GC
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Bahrain

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M6DYS View Post
Thatís good to know. What aftermarket parts do you currently have on your car? Like I mentioned earlier, this is actually a fact finding discussion. Not to tear down anyoneís product. Also, I do know that not everyone will have the same experiences. Thanks for your feedback.
AMS catless dp, full Akra exhaust, MSR intake
__________________
M6 GC CP + AMS CATLESS DP + AKRAPOVIC EXHAUST + MSR INTAKE + BM3 HCP STAGE 2 =
Appreciate 1
M6DYS13.50

      04-16-2019, 07:34 PM   #30
M6DYS
SPEED DEMON
M6DYS's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
80
Posts

Drives: BMW M6
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. M6 View Post
AMS catless dp, full Akra exhaust, MSR intake
Nice!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 09:07 AM   #31
MetZF82
Private First Class
26
Rep
106
Posts

Drives: 2015 F06 M6
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

I like the idea of the thread. I currently have the jb4 from Burger tuning.

The pros of the piggy back is the ability to switch maps on a fly. I can run stock map, map1 which is about 19-20psi and map 2 around 21-22psi. I personally love I can have more power than stock but not have to run 1 set psi at all times. I can use map 2 only for racing. Map 1 for daily driving. You can datalog and read codes. You can clear codes. No Cel with downpipes installed. I had the jb4 for 3 years on my m4 from 200 miles on the car to 22k with no issues. On the M6 I have the jb4 for about 3k miles so far.

The cons for me is that the limiter stays the same. I can't pass NY inspection without a flash tune. Install is a few hours and a bit of a pain in the a$$.
Appreciate 1
M6DYS13.50

      04-17-2019, 09:45 PM   #32
M6DYS
SPEED DEMON
M6DYS's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
80
Posts

Drives: BMW M6
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetZF82 View Post
I like the idea of the thread. I currently have the jb4 from Burger tuning.

The pros of the piggy back is the ability to switch maps on a fly. I can run stock map, map1 which is about 19-20psi and map 2 around 21-22psi. I personally love I can have more power than stock but not have to run 1 set psi at all times. I can use map 2 only for racing. Map 1 for daily driving. You can datalog and read codes. You can clear codes. No Cel with downpipes installed. I had the jb4 for 3 years on my m4 from 200 miles on the car to 22k with no issues. On the M6 I have the jb4 for about 3k miles so far.

The cons for me is that the limiter stays the same. I can't pass NY inspection without a flash tune. Install is a few hours and a bit of a pain in the a$$.
Thanks for your feedback. To be honest with I had no idea that jb4 didnít allow you to raise the rev limiter. Plus, I thought that they had a valet mode add on that allows users to switch their vehicles back to stock for emissions testing and for dealership visits. I like the fact that you can switch stages on the fly.

You have far more hands on experience with the jb4 tuner, than many others. Your 3 plus years of experience with that tuner allows you to validate the tuner without prejudice. Thanks for your input. Btw, if money werenít a problem, what tuner besides jb4 would you have gotten?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 12:52 AM   #33
SoCalM6GC
Lieutenant
127
Rep
453
Posts

Drives: M6 GC
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6DYS View Post
Thanks for your feedback. To be honest with I had no idea that jb4 didnít allow you to raise the rev limiter. Plus, I thought that they had a valet mode add on that allows users to switch their vehicles back to stock for emissions testing and for dealership visits. I like the fact that you can switch stages on the fly.

You have far more hands on experience with the jb4 tuner, than many others. Your 3 plus years of experience with that tuner allows you to validate the tuner without prejudice. Thanks for your input. Btw, if money werenít a problem, what tuner besides jb4 would you have gotten?
I also ran the JB4, I had been running the JB piggyback since 2007 on various cars starting with the 335i and for the first time on a BMW i had the M6 flash tuned and to be honest I'm not going this route again. Next car i'm sticking with Piggy back even though it's a pain to install and remove with the BCM, you have to remove an intercooler, drain the coolant and refill. There is a piece of mind to knowing that you are not altering the BMW ECU data and that once you remove the piggy back there is little to no trace of it ever being on the car. On the JB4 map 2 I was making good power but there are drawbacks like the speed limiter and that you cannot run downpipes without having an error code on the dash which is why i went with a flash, I am very happy with it but always worry about my warranty and the powertrain.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 05:30 PM   #34
M6DYS
SPEED DEMON
M6DYS's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
80
Posts

Drives: BMW M6
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalM6GC View Post
I also ran the JB4, I had been running the JB piggyback since 2007 on various cars starting with the 335i and for the first time on a BMW i had the M6 flash tuned and to be honest I'm not going this route again. Next car i'm sticking with Piggy back even though it's a pain to install and remove with the BCM, you have to remove an intercooler, drain the coolant and refill. There is a piece of mind to knowing that you are not altering the BMW ECU data and that once you remove the piggy back there is little to no trace of it ever being on the car. On the JB4 map 2 I was making good power but there are drawbacks like the speed limiter and that you cannot run downpipes without having an error code on the dash which is why i went with a flash, I am very happy with it but always worry about my warranty and the powertrain.
I totally understand what youíre saying. Many avid high performance tuner technicians and racers do prefer the flashes over piggybacks. I have been adding tuners to my vehicles since 2003. But, only once I have ever added a piggyback tuner to any of my vehicles. And it what I have on my 6 currently. Iím not a fan of piggyback tuners though. I hate the fact that I have to physically install them mechanically to my vehicle. Plus, for dealership visits, they have to be removed because they can be seen or found very easily. With the flash tuners, I can remove it at anytime without having to physically remove parts, etc.

I noticed that you havenít mentioned which other tuner you would have gotten over the jb4, if money werenít a factor?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 01:38 AM   #35
M6DYS
SPEED DEMON
M6DYS's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
80
Posts

Drives: BMW M6
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

BUMP
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 05:43 PM   #36
SoCalM6GC
Lieutenant
127
Rep
453
Posts

Drives: M6 GC
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6DYS View Post
I totally understand what youíre saying. Many avid high performance tuner technicians and racers do prefer the flashes over piggybacks. I have been adding tuners to my vehicles since 2003. But, only once I have ever added a piggyback tuner to any of my vehicles. And it what I have on my 6 currently. Iím not a fan of piggyback tuners though. I hate the fact that I have to physically install them mechanically to my vehicle. Plus, for dealership visits, they have to be removed because they can be seen or found very easily. With the flash tuners, I can remove it at anytime without having to physically remove parts, etc.

I noticed that you havenít mentioned which other tuner you would have gotten over the jb4, if money werenít a factor?
I went with Mission Performance. It was not about money, it was about Alex's customer service and skills in the game. He's one of the best out there IMO.
Appreciate 1
M6DYS13.50

      04-19-2019, 09:39 PM   #37
M6DYS
SPEED DEMON
M6DYS's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
80
Posts

Drives: BMW M6
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalM6GC View Post
I went with Mission Performance. It was not about money, it was about Alex's customer service and skills in the game. He's one of the best out there IMO.
Thatís what I have heard about Mission Performance. Itís not surprising to me because I have been told by several people that Mission Performanceís tuner is one of the most reliable and impossible to detect by the dealerships. I have gone to their website to view the information about their tuners. The thing that impressed me the most about their F10/F12/F13 tuner is the multiple features that the tuner have. Plus, the tunerís valet mode is unmatched. As for the price, itís very competitive. Itís actually far less expensive than many of the tuners that I have listed in this thread. Do you have any ďconsĒ for the Mission Tuner? Thanks for your valuable input.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 02:14 AM   #38
SoCalM6GC
Lieutenant
127
Rep
453
Posts

Drives: M6 GC
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6DYS View Post
Thatís what I have heard about Mission Performance. Itís not surprising to me because I have been told by several people that Mission Performanceís tuner is one of the most reliable and impossible to detect by the dealerships. I have gone to their website to view the information about their tuners. The thing that impressed me the most about their F10/F12/F13 tuner is the multiple features that the tuner have. Plus, the tunerís valet mode is unmatched. As for the price, itís very competitive. Itís actually far less expensive than many of the tuners that I have listed in this thread. Do you have any ďconsĒ for the Mission Tuner? Thanks for your valuable input.
Zero cons. I went with a different flash tuner that will remain nameless cause i steer clear of the drama but Alex at Mission was able to fix what the previous tuner did, and flashed my car with stage 1, a separate stage 1 map for E85/91oct mix, and then after i installed downpipes I went with stage 2 software. If i ever flashed another car I would go to him first.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 06:23 PM   #39
M6DYS
SPEED DEMON
M6DYS's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
80
Posts

Drives: BMW M6
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalM6GC View Post
Zero cons. I went with a different flash tuner that will remain nameless cause i steer clear of the drama but Alex at Mission was able to fix what the previous tuner did, and flashed my car with stage 1, a separate stage 1 map for E85/91oct mix, and then after i installed downpipes I went with stage 2 software. If i ever flashed another car I would go to him first.
Itís very good to know that you have no ďConsĒ for the Mission Performance Tuner. I guess If I were to come up with a ďConĒ for the Mission tuner, I would have to say that their M-Boot (Valet mode) feature isnít standard on their tuner. Itís a very important feature that allows users of their tune to disable the tuner for dealership visits, etc. I am sure that everyone that buys their tuner would love to have this feature free of charge. But, thatís about it. No other cons in my book.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 10:24 PM   #40
M6DYS
SPEED DEMON
M6DYS's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
80
Posts

Drives: BMW M6
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

BUMP.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 08:31 AM   #41
MetZF82
Private First Class
26
Rep
106
Posts

Drives: 2015 F06 M6
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6DYS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetZF82 View Post
I like the idea of the thread. I currently have the jb4 from Burger tuning.

The pros of the piggy back is the ability to switch maps on a fly. I can run stock map, map1 which is about 19-20psi and map 2 around 21-22psi. I personally love I can have more power than stock but not have to run 1 set psi at all times. I can use map 2 only for racing. Map 1 for daily driving. You can datalog and read codes. You can clear codes. No Cel with downpipes installed. I had the jb4 for 3 years on my m4 from 200 miles on the car to 22k with no issues. On the M6 I have the jb4 for about 3k miles so far.

The cons for me is that the limiter stays the same. I can't pass NY inspection without a flash tune. Install is a few hours and a bit of a pain in the a$$.
Thanks for your feedback. To be honest with I had no idea that jb4 didn’t allow you to raise the rev limiter. Plus, I thought that they had a valet mode add on that allows users to switch their vehicles back to stock for emissions testing and for dealership visits. I like the fact that you can switch stages on the fly.

You have far more hands on experience with the jb4 tuner, than many others. Your 3 plus years of experience with that tuner allows you to validate the tuner without prejudice. Thanks for your input. Btw, if money weren’t a problem, what tuner besides jb4 would you have gotten?
Quote:
Originally Posted by M6DYS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetZF82 View Post
I like the idea of the thread. I currently have the jb4 from Burger tuning.

The pros of the piggy back is the ability to switch maps on a fly. I can run stock map, map1 which is about 19-20psi and map 2 around 21-22psi. I personally love I can have more power than stock but not have to run 1 set psi at all times. I can use map 2 only for racing. Map 1 for daily driving. You can datalog and read codes. You can clear codes. No Cel with downpipes installed. I had the jb4 for 3 years on my m4 from 200 miles on the car to 22k with no issues. On the M6 I have the jb4 for about 3k miles so far.

The cons for me is that the limiter stays the same. I can't pass NY inspection without a flash tune. Install is a few hours and a bit of a pain in the a$$.
Thanks for your feedback. To be honest with I had no idea that jb4 didn't allow you to raise the rev limiter. Plus, I thought that they had a valet mode add on that allows users to switch their vehicles back to stock for emissions testing and for dealership visits. I like the fact that you can switch stages on the fly.

You have far more hands on experience with the jb4 tuner, than many others. Your 3 plus years of experience with that tuner allows you to validate the tuner without prejudice. Thanks for your input. Btw, if money weren't a problem, what tuner besides jb4 would you have gotten?
I used Eurocaheged for my w211 E55 before my M4. Those guys were excellent also. I don't see many BMW's running thier flash though seems to be mainly MB using them.

After doing research here it seems that Mission Performance and Bootmod3 seem to be go to tuners for this platform.
Appreciate 1
M6DYS13.50

      04-22-2019, 04:04 PM   #42
M6DYS
SPEED DEMON
M6DYS's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
80
Posts

Drives: BMW M6
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetZF82 View Post
I used Eurocaheged for my w211 E55 before my M4. Those guys were excellent also. I don't see many BMW's running thier flash though seems to be mainly MB using them.

After doing research here it seems that Mission Performance and Bootmod3 seem to be go to tuners for this platform.
Yes, from the polling that Iím doing and the feedbacks, it does seem that Bootmod3 and Mission Performance are the most popular tuners. Eurocaheged Does not offer anything for the F12/F13 in the for of tuning. They are definitely Mercedes Benz driven. They do offer tuners for other BMW models like the 3 and 4 series, though. It would be good if they made something for the F12/F13s. Thanks for your input.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 04:20 PM   #43
Jeffxxx
New Member
8
Rep
16
Posts

Drives: 2015 bmw m6 GC competition
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: San Diego-Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6DYS View Post
Yes, from the polling that Iím doing and the feedbacks, it does seem that Bootmod3 and Mission Performance are the most popular tuners. Eurocaheged Does not offer anything for the F12/F13 in the for of tuning. They are definitely Mercedes Benz driven. They do offer tuners for other BMW models like the 3 and 4 series, though. It would be good if they made something for the F12/F13s. Thanks for your input.
I still don't see Bootmod3 on your poll.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 04:36 PM   #44
Whipple
Private First Class
Whipple's Avatar
20
Rep
180
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Im surprised no one mentioned DME tuning, there supposed to be one of the best for M5/M6 cars, Iím going in the near future to get there stage 3 tune , spark plugs are required to be gapped to .20 , Iím going for the tune and have them change my plugs , They also have a cable you can purchase , download the file and install yourself via windows, this way you can flash back to stock if need be
I spoke to someone who has this tune for over a year and said DME tune is the only tune I recommend for F cassis M5/M6 cars.
Itís been proven time and time again to produce reliable gains throughout the power band .
So Iím going to have my cold start removed because it sounds like an explosion with the AMS Catless /Meistershaft GTC exhaust , and Iím on the fence with the burble tune mixed in
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:19 AM.




6post.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST