BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-09-2017, 04:07 AM   #1
DAbed
First Lieutenant
United_States
46
Rep
356
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Los Angeles/Irvine

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [5.00]
Retrofit 2016 M6 Headlights with 2013?

I am leaning towards purchasing a 2013 M6, but the headlights kinda bother me. Not so much a fan of the led light bar that sits under the angel eyes for the 2013 (series of LED dots). The 2016's have a led bar that doesn't have individual dots but more of just a bar that illuminates. I love the new look and was wondering if i can purchase a set of 2016 headlights and installing them on a 2013. If its not possible directly, is it possible to retrofit them on? or would i have to buy the new bumper as well as the headlights? Please provide insight, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 09:57 AM   #2
ChrisCM6
New Member
2
Rep
11
Posts

Drives: M6 F12 CP
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Uk Southampton

iTrader: (0)

Then you would have the proper adaptive headlights (when coded).

Im sure they are the same shape, as the bumper and wings have not chaned. Just wiring.

I would love to know, as really like the selective beam on the newer ones.
Appreciate 1
DAbed45.50

      01-31-2017, 02:52 AM   #3
KauvSTi
Super Member
KauvSTi's Avatar
48
Rep
276
Posts

Drives: E55, R35 GTR, CLS63, F13 M6
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

I would love to know if this has been done and what is needed if done.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 08:10 AM   #4
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
lemetier's Avatar
1243
Rep
2,274
Posts

Drives: Yes
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Location

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAbed View Post
I am leaning towards purchasing a 2013 M6, but the headlights kinda bother me. Not so much a fan of the led light bar that sits under the angel eyes for the 2013 (series of LED dots). The 2016's have a led bar that doesn't have individual dots but more of just a bar that illuminates. I love the new look and was wondering if i can purchase a set of 2016 headlights and installing them on a 2013. If its not possible directly, is it possible to retrofit them on? or would i have to buy the new bumper as well as the headlights? Please provide insight, thank you!
It won't be easy or cheap. LCI use FLE control units for the headlight driver. Then the FRM (Footwell Control Module) needs to be swapped to a 04.2015 or later version, rewire of the lighting circuits (they won't just plug in), addition of CAN3 Bus Network (Pre LCI only has LIN), and a lot of programming and coding. Any official software updates will become an issue as the Master Build Date will have to be changed and will cause other modules in the car to be deemed incompatible. Used modules present another issue as they cannot be wiped clean. If the battery ever goes low enough or is disconnected, the modules will boot off of the non-volatile memory which will contain the original vehicle info and be rejected by CAS. The lights will then need to be reinitialized before they'll operate.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 01:52 AM   #5
ARPHOTO
Alpinweiß Herrenrasse
ARPHOTO's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
86
Posts

Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe, 2000 750il
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Oregon

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
It won't be easy or cheap. LCI use FLE control units for the headlight driver. Then the FRM (Footwell Control Module) needs to be swapped to a 04.2015 or later version, rewire of the lighting circuits (they won't just plug in), addition of CAN3 Bus Network (Pre LCI only has LIN), and a lot of programming and coding. Any official software updates will become an issue as the Master Build Date will have to be changed and will cause other modules in the car to be deemed incompatible. Used modules present another issue as they cannot be wiped clean. If the battery ever goes low enough or is disconnected, the modules will boot off of the non-volatile memory which will contain the original vehicle info and be rejected by CAS. The lights will then need to be reinitialized before they'll operate.
Sounds like way more trouble than its worth.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 06:13 PM   #6
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
lemetier's Avatar
1243
Rep
2,274
Posts

Drives: Yes
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Location

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAbed View Post
bump --- cant be THAT difficult
Ok. It's plug and play.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 06:48 PM   #7
Msizzle
Lieutenant
159
Rep
401
Posts

Drives: 2013 M6 Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

it actually is that difficult, every generation of these cars people try and its a fortune, i did a 5 series way back that had no xenon's and was in an accident, my body shop helped me get xenons out of the insurance company and it was about $12000
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 07:23 PM   #8
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Flying Ace's Avatar
United_States
3648
Rep
10,240
Posts

Drives: M6GC ZCP, X5d
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SF, CA

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
Ok. It's plug and play.
right...he just wants you to say it's not difficult. So just say it's plug and play is like saying rebuilding an engine is a simple bolt-on blot-off affair...

OP, it IS difficult when it comes with replacing FRM, rewiring and coding. As Lemetier said, then when it comes time to update or troubleshoot FRM issues, you're SOL. And it'll cost quite a bit initially, b/c you have to source brand new parts. Maybe 6 years later, there may be some wrecked M6s where you can buy from salvage yards...

I'm sure some vendor would figure this out and package it all neatly for us in the future, but it won't be cheap, and you're at the mercy of them providing further support when FRM breaks, etc. Oh btw, you'll likely void your warranty related to nearly anything electrical if you mess with FRM and rewiring.
__________________
12 AW/Cinnamon X5 Diesel Urban Assault Vehicle
14 AW M6GC ZCP, MPE, e-wheel, vorsteiner spoiler
08 SSII E90 M3 (Sold!)
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 07:41 PM   #9
M6-Coupe
Major General
M6-Coupe's Avatar
755
Rep
5,789
Posts

Drives: F80 M3 CP
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bay area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAbed View Post
lol might as well just get the new M6 and not worry about anything
This is a good idea!
Are you going from E9x M3 to F1x M6? if that's the case, trust me M6 has A LOT for you compare to your car so the headlight is negligible LOL
And 2013 M6 headlights are MUCH nicer then E9x M3
__________________
Current : 2018 Mineral Gray M3 6MT
Gone : 2016 Austin Yellow M4 6MT
Gone: 2013 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Gone: 2012 Black Sapphire 650i - ZF8
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 10:57 PM   #10
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
lemetier's Avatar
1243
Rep
2,274
Posts

Drives: Yes
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Location

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAbed View Post
lol might as well just get the new M6 and not worry about anything
Not far off. Pre LCI Fxx 6er LED system architecture is based off the E70/71 LCI. Makes for an expensive and complicated mod for very little difference.
__________________
Appreciate 1
DAbed45.50

      03-13-2017, 05:22 AM   #11
DAbed
First Lieutenant
United_States
46
Rep
356
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Los Angeles/Irvine

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [5.00]
ya stock lights ill give the f1x the win, but i have upgraded DTM headlights from OSS designs on my E92 and people still think its a brand new car when its a 2009

However i am not getting rid of my E92, but i will give in to a second M, either the f82 m4 or f13 m6. We'll see what i can do this summer, wish me luck!


Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
This is a good idea!
Are you going from E9x M3 to F1x M6? if that's the case, trust me M6 has A LOT for you compare to your car so the headlight is negligible LOL
And 2013 M6 headlights are MUCH nicer then E9x M3
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 01:39 PM   #12
M6-Coupe
Major General
M6-Coupe's Avatar
755
Rep
5,789
Posts

Drives: F80 M3 CP
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bay area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAbed View Post
ya stock lights ill give the f1x the win, but i have upgraded DTM headlights from OSS designs on my E92 and people still think its a brand new car when its a 2009

However i am not getting rid of my E92, but i will give in to a second M, either the f82 m4 or f13 m6. We'll see what i can do this summer, wish me luck!
I used to have F13 M6 for 3 years and now I have F82 M4... both great cars.
Do won't go wrong either way but I highly suggest Competition Package for each one you pick.... Good luck!
__________________
Current : 2018 Mineral Gray M3 6MT
Gone : 2016 Austin Yellow M4 6MT
Gone: 2013 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Gone: 2012 Black Sapphire 650i - ZF8
Appreciate 1
DAbed45.50

      08-04-2018, 05:14 AM   #13
BMW640
Registered
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: F06
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAbed View Post
I am leaning towards purchasing a 2013 M6, but the headlights kinda bother me. Not so much a fan of the led light bar that sits under the angel eyes for the 2013 (series of LED dots). The 2016's have a led bar that doesn't have individual dots but more of just a bar that illuminates. I love the new look and was wondering if i can purchase a set of 2016 headlights and installing them on a 2013. If its not possible directly, is it possible to retrofit them on? or would i have to buy the new bumper as well as the headlights? Please provide insight, thank you!
Hi,
i have got 2014 F06 Msport and wanted to upgrade the Bi-Xenon headlights to LED non-adaptive and i have got the LED headlights fit perfectly even with all connectors and that, but obviously, cables and the pins are not the same and need to change the pins. the question is would change the pins be enough or models and other things need to be changed to 2015+ parts, appreciate your help thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 08:11 PM   #14
Cincinnatus
Second Lieutenant
United_States
47
Rep
250
Posts

Drives: 2013 M6
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Northeast PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAbed View Post
I am leaning towards purchasing a 2013 M6, but the headlights kinda bother me. Not so much a fan of the led light bar that sits under the angel eyes for the 2013 (series of LED dots). The 2016's have a led bar that doesn't have individual dots but more of just a bar that illuminates. I love the new look and was wondering if i can purchase a set of 2016 headlights and installing them on a 2013. If its not possible directly, is it possible to retrofit them on? or would i have to buy the new bumper as well as the headlights? Please provide insight, thank you!
Seems the thread has run off the rails a bit and diverted to other issues.

I don't know technically if it's possible to change the '13 lights to the LCI style. It seems a lot of work, and expense, to just relocate the turn signals from bottom to top. Be prepared for a hefty bill in the 4 digits range when you're done.

Just one man's opinion, the adaptive LED setup on the pre-LCI is still pretty much state-of-the-art and many prefer the aesthetics over the newer style. Functionally, my understanding is that they're identical. If your goal is to make a 13 look like a 16 (or whatever...) then have at it. It's yiur money to burn. But you won't notice a single bit of difference, and that money could go to something else. Like a tune, or whatever.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 11:11 PM   #15
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Flying Ace's Avatar
United_States
3648
Rep
10,240
Posts

Drives: M6GC ZCP, X5d
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SF, CA

iTrader: (5)

The issue is, has there been anyone who've a actually done this or looked seriously into this retrofit?
__________________
12 AW/Cinnamon X5 Diesel Urban Assault Vehicle
14 AW M6GC ZCP, MPE, e-wheel, vorsteiner spoiler
08 SSII E90 M3 (Sold!)
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 12:54 AM   #16
Whipple
Second Lieutenant
Whipple's Avatar
33
Rep
244
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

I don't know guys I really like the headlights with the light bar under them, the new ones just look like all the other models.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 04:42 PM   #17
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Flying Ace's Avatar
United_States
3648
Rep
10,240
Posts

Drives: M6GC ZCP, X5d
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SF, CA

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
I don't know guys I really like the headlights with the light bar under them, the new ones just look like all the other models.
I also agree. The new ones are a common current BMW design and I'm guessing is a preview of the next gen G car design. This is similar to what they did with the outgoing E70 X5M, they put the square LEDs in for the final model year, only to have square LED installed across the entire model lineup in the F cars. Everything from a 1 series to a 7 now has the square LEDs.

With my E90 M3...I actually decided not to do anything with the halo lights, I kept the yellow halogens. Ultimately, the older features makes the car look unique.

I'm going to stick with my pre-LCI 6 series light. I actually like them more and more now that I think about it.
__________________
12 AW/Cinnamon X5 Diesel Urban Assault Vehicle
14 AW M6GC ZCP, MPE, e-wheel, vorsteiner spoiler
08 SSII E90 M3 (Sold!)
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 02:24 AM   #18
DerBosewicht
Problem Solver
DerBosewicht's Avatar
United_States
69
Rep
368
Posts

Drives: 650i Gran Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: TX

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
I also agree. The new ones are a common current BMW design and I'm guessing is a preview of the next gen G car design. This is similar to what they did with the outgoing E70 X5M, they put the square LEDs in for the final model year, only to have square LED installed across the entire model lineup in the F cars. Everything from a 1 series to a 7 now has the square LEDs.

With my E90 M3...I actually decided not to do anything with the halo lights, I kept the yellow halogens. Ultimately, the older features makes the car look unique.

I'm going to stick with my pre-LCI 6 series light. I actually like them more and more now that I think about it.
I am fighting with this dilemma myself. I did find a company that will retrofit the Honeycomb projectors,vision rings, and gloss back housing for just under 1600$ shipped. 1 yr warranty with rings from Bavgruppe. I think this will be a nice upgrade to my '13 lights. Comes with a special harness to avoid coding,After reading over the forum, I think that this is the best option in attempting to upgrade.
__________________
You need people like me so you can point your f*ckin' fingers and say,
"That's the bad guy".
"Das ist der Bösewicht".
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 11:25 AM   #19
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Flying Ace's Avatar
United_States
3648
Rep
10,240
Posts

Drives: M6GC ZCP, X5d
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SF, CA

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerBosewicht View Post
I am fighting with this dilemma myself. I did find a company that will retrofit the Honeycomb projectors,vision rings, and gloss back housing for just under 1600$ shipped. 1 yr warranty with rings from Bavgruppe. I think this will be a nice upgrade to my '13 lights. Comes with a special harness to avoid coding,After reading over the forum, I think that this is the best option in attempting to upgrade.
interesting. Do you have a link for this?

Also, I noticed that 2013 model 6 series cars (and possibly M6), some cars came with the round LED halos instead of the current square style. Is this type you have?

__________________
12 AW/Cinnamon X5 Diesel Urban Assault Vehicle
14 AW M6GC ZCP, MPE, e-wheel, vorsteiner spoiler
08 SSII E90 M3 (Sold!)
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 05:45 PM   #20
Wlodi
Private First Class
Wlodi's Avatar
Poland
23
Rep
139
Posts

Drives: F13 640d xDrive
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Warsaw, Poland

iTrader: (1)

This can be done.
you need new ZGW and FRM module (brand new - the most universal full version from dealer). You also need to check if you have KAFAS2 cam for SLI.
__________________
WTB OEM M5 343M Wheels set - EU only
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 07:28 AM   #21
Pano6
New Member
0
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: BMW 640i
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Panama

iTrader: (0)

Sorry to necro an old thread, but isn't there a way to do this by having someone create a new housing that matches the pre-2016 model's electricals and just has a black out LED bar undearneath? Seems like that would be the easiest solution
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 09:31 AM   #22
Qsilver7
Major
Qsilver7's Avatar
United_States
501
Rep
1,038
Posts

Drives: F06 650ix GC / E53 X5 4.4
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Indiana, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano6 View Post
Sorry to necro an old thread, but isn't there a way to do this by having someone create a new housing that matches the pre-2016 model's electricals and just has a black out LED bar undearneath? Seems like that would be the easiest solution
If you follow DerBosewicht...you'll see that he did find a headlight mod that changed his pre LCK headlight look. Here's a direct link to a thread he started that has pics of his retrofit: https://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1587564


Here's some "teaser pics" of the modification:


{before}


{upgrading}




__________________
2006 E53 X5 4.4 | 2013 F06 650ix Gran Coupe`
BMW CCA Member #191509

Last edited by Qsilver7; 07-08-2019 at 09:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:33 AM.




6post.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST