11-13-2019, 05:14 PM   #45
hubbahubba
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Commuter View Post
We are in a period now where the fringe on each side is the only real voice, because the actual intelligent people have given up playing referee.
Yep.
Appreciate 2
      11-13-2019, 06:39 PM   #46
hooligan_COLD
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagamus_NM View Post
The same was said about Obama before Iowa.
We'll see, I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 09:28 PM   #47
skoold2003
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3, 2014 X5 50i M Sport

Bloomberg vs Paul would be the best nominees in my opinion. If they got nominated I would finally be voting on who I want to be president vs who I dislike less.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 10:31 AM   #48
pennsiveguy
Shows initiative whenever directed to do so
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Commuter View Post
The problem is the more social media takes over our daily lives, the more "normal" the fringe elements become.

We are in a period now where the fringe on each side is the only real voice, because the actual intelligent people have given up playing referee.
Agree. And the more extreme someone's view, and the more empty and meaningless their life, the more time and energy they'll put into one or more social media "campaigns." The dark side of technology is that extreme voices of the rage-fueled and resentful fringes can be amplified infinitely, so they drown out the voices of the moderate folks who have better things to do.
      11-14-2019, 10:38 AM   #49
hubbahubba
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

What if...

How about this? Somebody like Rand Paul and Tulsi Gabbard or Mayor Pete team up as independents? So basically you get the Ross Perot AND Jill Stein effect to cancel each other out? I'd be in...
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 01:27 PM   #50
WestRace
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbahubba View Post

How about this? Somebody like Rand Paul and Tulsi Gabbard or Mayor Pete team up as independents?
Since everybody depends on money, there is no such thing as "independence". In the end, everybody is "dependent" on something. If not money then pussies lols.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 02:24 PM   #51
hubbahubba
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRace View Post
Since everybody depends on money, there is no such thing as "independence". In the end, everybody is "dependent" on something. If not money then pussies lols.
Thanks, WestRace, but not the point I was trying to make. Maybe I should have been more clear. In order to defeat the ever worse partisanship in DC, let's put up a team that is a little of both sides to lead. It could be a thing, and would solve the problem of D vs R...
Maybe we could just go back to being ALL American instead of so divided. That is what needs to happen to reel in the crazy train we are on. I only suggest this as a means to that end.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 04:26 PM   #52
WestRace
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, WestRace, but not the point I was trying to make. Maybe I should have been more clear. In order to defeat the ever worse partisanship in DC, let's put up a team that is a little of both sides to lead. It could be a thing, and would solve the problem of D vs R...
Maybe we could just go back to being ALL American instead of so divided. That is what needs to happen to reel in the crazy train we are on. I only suggest this as a means to that end.
Of course I was joking, but I am not too far off since it always ends up like this.

Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:33 AM   #53
///M4ster Yoda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRace View Post
There is no solving your/our problem. There is two sides (D and R) and they are only getting further and further apart. I understand what you are getting at but it's just fantasyland at this point. Sad but true. Moderates will never get anywhere at this juncture even though that would be best for us all.

What really needs to happen won't. Get rid of every last politician in DC and start over with term limits.
Current Stable: '19 X3 (Wifey) '20 ZCP M4 (Mine)
Appreciate 3
vreihen16694.50
cmyx6go2208.50

Yesterday, 07:38 AM   #54
hooligan_COLD
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
There is no solving your/our problem. There is two sides (D and R) and they are only getting further and further apart. I understand what you are getting at but it's just fantasyland at this point. Sad but true. Moderates will never get anywhere at this juncture even though that would be best for us all.

What really needs to happen won't. Get rid of every last politician in DC and start over with term limits.
Yoda 2020!

Appreciate 4
      Yesterday, 11:47 AM   #55
vreihen16
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
There is no solving your/our problem. There is two sides (D and R) and they are only getting further and further apart.
If ever there was an argument for a third major political party, today's government is it. As someone wrote, our current two-party system does not exist to look out for the welfare of the citizens, but rather for the two-party system's very survival.

If nobody had a majority, then our Congresscritters would <gasp> have to compromise in order to get (hopefully!) better middle-of-the-road consensus decisions, and not waste any time with fringe lunacy ideas from the far ends of the scale.....
      Yesterday, 05:03 PM   #56
hubbahubba
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I totally get what you are saying, and would not mind a reset of those in DC. While we may not be able to swap every one of em, some brave soul could come along and get term limits done. That would be a huge step in the right direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
If ever there was an argument for a third major political party, today's government is it. As someone wrote, our current two-party system does not exist to look out for the welfare of the citizens, but rather for the two-party system's very survival.

If nobody had a majority, then our Congresscritters would <gasp> have to compromise in order to get (hopefully!) better middle-of-the-road consensus decisions, and not waste any time with fringe lunacy ideas from the far ends of the scale.....
#walkaway
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:04 PM   #57
WestRace
Captain
Rep

Bill O'Reilly used to say "We don't have a two party system. We have a one party system". I don't know if there's any truth to that, but it's something to think about. Maybe there's UFO after all with an OverLord ruling over the world lols. Hopefully it's more like "Childhood's End" than "Independence Day" lols. I would prefer "Mars Attack" with a little bit of spice but a happy ending :-) It's the oldies that saved the world.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:28 PM   #58
Dave 90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Mayor Pete apparently is polling really well in Iowa. He'll be suicided soon, though.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 08:47 PM   #59
WestRace
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
Mayor Pete apparently is polling really well in Iowa. He'll be suicided soon, though.
Damn, the pressure getting to the man or woman or ... eeerrr how should I put it? Will he be able deal with Putin? How about Kim Jong Un? Who will do Buttigieg on SNL? Kate McKinnon don't even have to dress up.
Appreciate 0