BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

01-08-2022, 07:01 PM   #1
DarkMastyr
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6GC

Installing Carplay on NBT

Took the time to install this Road Top unit in my F06 recently. Got it off AliExpress for $245+ship.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003677925833.html

These boxes are made for a lot of different vehicles (BMW, Merc, Audi, Lexus, etc.). They're all basically the same. Link over to the F30 forums where this is discussed in a lot more detail:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1675929

Here's an install video from Bimmertech that more or less shows what needs to be done.

Works fine, but a couple things to note if anyone tries to install this on their F06:
  • There is NO ROOM behind the headunit to mount the MMI box. You have to drop the glovebox and mount in the space between the head unit and glove box. Bimmertech's video makes it seem like you can fit these boxes behind the headunit, but I tried for hours and am pretty sure there is physically no room.
  • When disconnecting the blue/black/white/pink connectors from the back of the headunit, Bimmertech's video makes it seem like these can just be pulled off after the white clip is pushed up. This is not the case. You need to use a pick to carefully pry back a part of the connector to free it loose.
  • The AUX audio output is pretty poor. I primarily use this box to project the navigation from Google Maps. Its functional, but for music (I use Amazon Prime music), I still send the signal through bluetooth. Not ideal. If you don't care as much about sound quality, not an issue.

Appreciate 2
      01-10-2022, 01:17 AM   #2
jjasonSU
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 650i, NSX

Looks great.
I tried a different unit off Amazon last year and it had so many problems I don't even use it anymore. At this price point I may try yours
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 11:53 PM   #3
Msparta
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6M

Looks great! I been using MMPrime for a while now on my f06 and can't be happier… hope you enjoy yours as I do mine… the overall experience is awesome with our large display!
Appreciate 0