BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

01-05-2022, 07:06 PM   #1
vroomvroomvroom
Rep
Drives: 530i

Unhappy Blown engine on low milage M6 - what are my options?

Folks,

I bought a 37K mile 2016 M6 from what I thought was a highly rated dealer, and the engine blew catastrophically ~2 weeks in. Unfortunately the car is juust out of the four year warranty. Exactly what is wrong is still being figured out by my local BMW dealer but I'd love your guidance and advice on my options here. Needless to say, this has been a rather unexpected Christmas / New Years present .

BMW engine failure and possible BMW solutions:
What I know now is that 2/8 cylinders have lost pressure. Do folks know what likely causes are? The car is just out of its 4 year warranty but with only 37K miles. I've heard that this is a somewhat known issue with M6's of this era (rod failures etc.).

My local dealer has been very reticent to raise this with BMW Corporate citing that I've not worked with them much (had the car for two weeks!), so I'd love any advice on how to raise with BMW Corporate, and to push for some sort of solution with them. I've read some folks on this forum have had success with with this (going as far as lawsuits on other models)

Dealer solutions:
The dealer made many statements to me about the pristine state of the car and it's unmodified nature. Are there ways to tell if it was harshly used or modded (then reverted) when it was sold to me? I'd appreciate any suggestions of folks I can talk to / legal experts I can consult.

3rd party solutions:
Unless BMW steps up, it sounds like I'll need a engine replacement with a few options:
#1 Rebuild my existing engine block (it's only got 37K miles) - with a warranty. Retain the original engine.

#2 Source a rebuilt engine with a warranty (typically 2 years / 24K miles, but I'd love to buy longer)

#3 Source a used engine via Ebay/Parts express

Do folks recommend going with one of these over others. Open to offers / deals etc.

I'm looking at RK Autowerks and Pure Performance for #1 or #2. Any recommendations between them or other alternatives (especially folks in California)? Things to watch out for?

I'm really not interested in modding / ECU tuning etc. but I'm told a Stage 2 rebuild can be roughly the same cost as a stock rebuild. Is there any reason to go with one if you are not interested in modding (for extended engine life?).

I'd also love recommendations for Bay Area / LA area folks who do rebuilds or engine drop-ins.

Selling the car :
Are folks interested in picking up the car as a project piece? I'd be happy to cut a deal and just buying a different M6 if the math works (I'm addicted!). Please let me know if there are other places to put up the car for sale.

Thanks folks - would love any advice / guidance that you have around this! 2021 certainly ended with a bang!

Enclosing the best picture of the car I took in the two weeks I had it. Should have taken more but was too busy cruising with the top down...
Attached Images

Last edited by vroomvroomvroom; 01-05-2022 at 07:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 07:19 PM   #2
TexasJester
Private
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Sir, push the easy button! I assume it to be under warranty. Go to the dealership and pick out your new NOT ever a used BMW. Work up the numbers and drive off in your new car and let the blown up one be their problem, a lesson learned for you and a short, bad memory.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 07:25 PM   #3
vroomvroomvroom
Rep

I wish the car is juuust out of warranty! That's the really frustrating part. Low on miles 37K, but past BMW's 4 year window
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 08:30 PM   #4
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Sorry to hear about the trouble. Short of some class action lawsuit forcing bmw to take action I doubt that you'll get very far with them. My wife's 550 has has had trouble with oil consumption and even with that law suit we got no where with them in the engine replacement but she now has 120k pretty much flawless miles in it. My M6 on the other hand ate itself and after much research I decided to go with an Sales@RKautowerks stock builds. I am about 16 months and 12k miles without any issues. I'd suggest getting RK to rebuild your engine our have a local shop do the long block swap for you. I wouldn't get hung up on keeping the same engine unless you plan on keeping it forever and taking it to Amelia Island to show it.

Give Mike a call at Rkautowerks. He and RK are great folks and there is no pressure or gimmicks. I'll be more than happy to chat with you as well if you just need to vent or have questions.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 08:44 PM   #5
vroomvroomvroom
Rep

TinCanSailor - thank you! Very much appreciate your thoughtful post. I would like to push on BMW a little - I've owned one for many years, but I understand that I may not make much headway.

I'm very much thinking about going with Sales@RKautowerks - glad to see the vote of confidence. Had a great chat with Mike and he was thoughtful and helpful.

The long block swap is certainly the fastest and likely the cheapest option by a little (don't have to ship a car or an engine), but I'm worried about the impact on resale value if I swap to a different engine (or is it basically sunk at this point?) Did you think about residual resale value at all when you decide to go with a swap?

Also - given my experience, I'm considering getting an extended warranty for a few years (also an idea Mike suggested). Any idea if any extended warranty provider will cover a car after an engine block swap (or a rebuild)?

Finally - since you are experienced with rebuilt engines - do you recommend getting any other work or parts put in at the same time? Right now I just want a car that will delight for another 4-5 years vs. shooting for more HP etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 12:00 AM   #6
x-tech7
Private
Rep
Drives: Mazda CX5, 2017 M6 coupe

Sorry about your engine. I too had my engine rebuilt by RK. In my case I had the car only a couple of months before the dreaded rod bearing came a knocking. TinCanSailor really helped me tremendously in making my decision to go with RK Thanks TinCan!!. And Mike and crew at RK really care about our cars. Mike answered all my questions even on weekends and late evenings. Its about 14 months for me and the car still puts a smile on my face. I am also in the bay area. If you have questions feel free to PM me. Unfortunately, I also know of two other guys in the bay area that had their engines rebuilt by RK. Good Luck
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2022, 09:08 AM   #7
HeyKC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 CP

I would not sell the car. As these are pricey to rebuild you would take a big hit to make it worth someones time.
My car somehow chipped a piston at 40k miles. I weighed my options. After some thinking I also ended up going with RK. I chatted with RK and knew what I wanted. I had a local shop handle everything for me. Dropped the car off and they took care of everything. Communication with RK including shipping the motor out and all. If you want to keep your original motor RK should be able to rebuild yours if you send it to them.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 09:32 AM   #8
DarkMastyr
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6GC

Since it's so close to the warranty window, and since you just bought the car, it's fair to ask for a courtesy coverage under warranty. Your dealership would probably need to escalate to the regional service advisor to get approval.
Appreciate 1
DRKNTM615.50
      01-06-2022, 11:24 AM   #9
vroomvroomvroom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-tech7 View Post
Sorry about your engine. I too had my engine rebuilt by RK. In my case I had the car only a couple of months before the dreaded rod bearing came a knocking. TinCanSailor really helped me tremendously in making my decision to go with RK Thanks TinCan!!. And Mike and crew at RK really care about our cars. Mike answered all my questions even on weekends and late evenings. Its about 14 months for me and the car still puts a smile on my face. I am also in the bay area. If you have questions feel free to PM me. Unfortunately, I also know of two other guys in the bay area that had their engines rebuilt by RK. Good Luck
This is super helpful (and wow thank you + TinCanSailor).

Could I ask - how did you make the decision between rebuilding your own block and just trading out to a rebuilt engine? What are the advantages?

Also - who did you work with in the Bay area to drop it in (or are there folks you'd recommend?) SV Motors in Santa Clara has been super helpful and is ready to handle this, but would prefer not to deal with a rebuild (since the car has to wait engine-less for a while).

HeyKC - Really appreciate the additional signal that RK is the way to go! Are you in the Bay area by any chance? Got a recommendation on a shop?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 11:25 AM   #10
vroomvroomvroom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMastyr View Post
Since it's so close to the warranty window, and since you just bought the car, it's fair to ask for a courtesy coverage under warranty. Your dealership would probably need to escalate to the regional service advisor to get approval.
Thanks Dark - I want to push on this a bit. Any advice on how to do so effectively? The dealership didn't want to escalate or even setup a case, I'm trying directly to get a case registered via BMW Corporate.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 02:43 PM   #11
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
The big driving factor for me was speed of turnaround for the swap. I couldn't find an indie locally and spent about 6 or 7 months researching the best course of action and that ultimately lead me to RK. I shipped my car off to Rk and they did the work in record time and to absolute perfection. Had they not sent photos I would have never known that the engine was dropped and replaced.

In regards to swapping the engine I doubt you'd be able to find someone, short of a tech doing a deep dive on the car, that could tell you that there was a long block swap as nearly everything else is reused from your car so there shouldn't be any hit to long term value.

in terms of other things to replace, plugs and coils and maybe the injectors but honestly in theory you should be good on the injectors for another 30k. That said the injectors have gone through some revisions due to failure and bmw has even had to go so far as to extend the warranty coverage on them to 10yr and 120k miles if memory serves me right.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 03:10 PM   #12
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-tech7 View Post
Definitely sorry we had to meet under those circumstances but I am glad to have been able to get to know and help you. Like you I was terribly Impressed with their love of the cars and appreciation of their customers.

It has been nearly 18 months since my engine was done and I continue to be impressed with their work and customer service. Absolutely the best people.
Appreciate 1
x-tech728.00
      01-06-2022, 03:36 PM   #13
Kamate
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW m6

Yike, did the dealer tell you what exactly is happen to your engine? Rods? Pistons? I mean you lost 2 cylinders at the same time, so it kind of raise an eyebrows. May want to know the root cause just to prevent the same thing happen if you decide to get another engine. Anyway, hope you get it sort out.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 04:27 PM   #14
jporter396
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw m6 POS

Bought a blown engine m6 a month ago. Rod most likely threw on the test drive. Currently being rebuilt by rk Autoworks rn. So far theyve been upfront and solid. Can't wait to pickup next week And test it . No other real solid engine rebuilders for the s63tu. Ghassan has mixed reviews. Rk has good rep
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2022, 05:41 PM   #15
vroomvroomvroom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamate View Post
Yike, did the dealer tell you what exactly is happen to your engine? Rods? Pistons? I mean you lost 2 cylinders at the same time, so it kind of raise an eyebrows. May want to know the root cause just to prevent the same thing happen if you decide to get another engine. Anyway, hope you get it sort out.
I'm struggling to get any kind of details from them. Is it normal for dealers to be so closed mouthed? I've asked them to put on paper their diagnosis and assessment (I'll need it to push with BMW Corporate). My service rep is a nice guy, but I'm not getting clarity on the information I need.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 07:01 PM   #16
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomvroomvroom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamate View Post
I'm struggling to get any kind of details from them. Is it normal for dealers to be so closed mouthed? I've asked them to put on paper their diagnosis and assessment (I'll need it to push with BMW Corporate). My service rep is a nice guy, but I'm not getting clarity on the information I need.
My dealer SA was elusive and they wanted nearly a grand for the diag and 54k dollars for the engine swap. I am the 2nd owner, the car was bought and cared for by this dealer and I had been in a month earlier for an oil change. I was able to extract from him that the car had rod bearings done by the prev owner but having shopped for and S85 powered M6 the previous year I wasn't concerned.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 07:41 PM   #17
idiskjock
Private
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Sorry to hear. M6 engine issues are never good to hear being an M6 owner myself.

I'm curious to know how it blew.... Were you pushing it right before it happened? or did it occur during a normal/steady cruise?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 11:42 PM   #18
DarkMastyr
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomvroomvroom View Post
Thanks Dark - I want to push on this a bit. Any advice on how to do so effectively? The dealership didn't want to escalate or even setup a case, I'm trying directly to get a case registered via BMW Corporate.
You can just politely ask for them to request a courtesy coverage with their regional service representative. It's just a request on their part. No cost to them other than firing off an email or a phone call. It's a very fair request considering you were only 2 weeks in (assuming you didn't tune the car in that period of time).

If they refuse to do at least that, then there's some funny business going on and you're completely within your rights to contact corporate directly.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 09:18 AM   #19
M3talllic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 & M6 GC

Garage List
Just had an injector failure, cylinder 2 to be specific, and turns out there is an extended warranty for injectors and HPFP up until 120k miles. I'm creeping up on 100k miles on my M6 and haven't had major issues up until the recent failure. I did call BMW of America prior to speaking to my local BMW dealership and they, BMW of America, said that they would see what they could do on their end. They submitted a case and then spoke to the local BMW dealership on my behalf.
Thereafter, I dealt with the dealership, but wasn't getting anywhere with the techs and front desk people.
They did not want to cover anything because I'm way out of my warranty, but I asked to speak directly to the Service Manger and General Manger from then on. They took care of all my issues even after noticing there was a tune on the car and never having service records at their dealership. But the fact that I spoke to BMW of America really encouraged them, the dealership, to do what I asked and wanted of them.
I know we don't have the same issues with our vehicles, but I wanted to share my experience and how I was able to overcome the lack of help from certain BMW employees.
Speak to BMW of America and only speak to managers at your dealership, and be firm of your situation.

Stay strong and best of luck.

-Ralph
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 09:57 AM   #20
Kr0m3assass1n
kr0m3assass1n
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X7 M50i

Garage List
Did you or the dealership do a PPI? Always recommended for used BMWs.

Also, if you end up getting another one, make sure you get an extended 3rd party warranty that kicks in before any implied dealer or manufacturer warranty runs out. There are a few threads on this forum discussing various aftermarket warranty options.

Mine is from Assurant that a BMW dealership in VA sold me and though I haven't had to use it yet (fingers crossed) it would cover me for major issues like yours.

Either way you go; I wish you best of luck.
Appreciate 0