BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

01-05-2022, 03:23 PM   #1
dpapad
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M6 Comp Package

Custom Steering Wheel Not Activating

Hi All-

I've been browsing this forum for some time and just registered after taking delivery of a 2017 M6 Convertible with the Competition package. It is my first convertible and I'm very excited to have it. She is a beast!

I purchased it from Carvana with 20k miles and while I am working through some of the post delivery issues, I took it to BMW for a diagnosis and and inspection and they didn't find any major issues with the car. Candidly, I would of expected a laundry list of maintenance/service work since I have a limited warranty but that wasn't the case.

Other than Carvana almost draining the battery (they didn't know how to turn the car off before delivering it to me) and some problems with the blind spot indicator, there aren't real mechanical issues.

One thing I'm trying to get my head around though is the aftermarket steering wheel that was installed. It is supposed to have the gear and redline indicators but all it does is turn on, flash green and red and say BMW Performance at cold start but doesn't operate afterwards. I was hoping someone on this forum has seen one of these and may be able to shed some light as to how to get it to work.

Below is a video so you can see what I'm talking about. Maybe one of you has these or can point me somewhere to figure this one out.

Thanks in advance.

DPAPAD
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 03:45 PM   #2
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

It’s a screen shot of a video but not a actual video.

I thought the same thing when I first got mine but once I started playing around with the settings I realized the shift points were selected so high that they never lit up for me. Are you able to toggle through the menu at all? Or are the buttons on the wheel not allowing for any menu changes? The M performance buttons - not the steering wheel controls.
Appreciate 1
jjasonSU194.00
      01-05-2022, 04:52 PM   #3
dpapad
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M6 Comp Package

Thanks for responding. I couldn't post the MOV so I posted a pic instead. I think you nailed it. I held down the L and R buttons on the steering wheel and then started toggling menus.

I'll try setting the shift points low and see what happens.

I found this instruction manual. will try it out tomorrow for sure.

D
Attached Images
File Type: pdf PERFWHEELOPS.pdf (648.0 KB, 46 views)
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 06:27 PM   #4
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Glad it worked out.

It’s a bit of a learning curve going through the different menus and options but you’ll get the hang of it eventually. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 09:15 PM   #5
villemus
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i

Garage List
2014 BMW 640i  [0.00]
amazing, i was just trying to find the instructions!!
Appreciate 0