BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

10-27-2021, 03:25 PM   #23
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minacious View Post
I wouldn't say they are exploding often, certainly not on a stock setup, but when increasing power, the weak points start to show their face, especially when the traction is true and that power meets the pavement.

I purchased for peace of mind. Just as fluid usually will find the path of least resistance, a 900hp (if one has built to that level, of course) engine vibration will find the path of least support. BMW didn't design the components to support that amount of power. Many build the engines and forget to beef up the other supporting components.

+1 Agreed 100%. I try to warn about the 2nd, 3rd order effects of modifying for power gains. The quote about water finding a way very succinctly spells it out.

I bought mine to protect against the potential 8000+ dollar calamity of replacing the rear, axles, shaft etc.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 05:29 PM   #24
M3talllic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 & M6 GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minacious View Post
I wouldn't say they are exploding often, certainly not on a stock setup, but when increasing power, the weak points start to show their face, especially when the traction is true and that power meets the pavement.

I purchased for peace of mind. Just as fluid usually will find the path of least resistance, a 900hp (if one has built to that level, of course) engine vibration will find the path of least support. BMW didn't design the components to support that amount of power. Many build the engines and forget to beef up the other supporting components.

+1 Agreed 100%. I try to warn about the 2nd, 3rd order effects of modifying for power gains. The quote about water finding a way very succinctly spells it out.

I bought mine to protect against the potential 8000+ dollar calamity of replacing the rear, axles, shaft etc.
This is exactly why I bought mine. Just for preventative measures. I'd rather fork up $1,xxx than north of $8k.
And if I ever decide to add power, I'll have the peace of mind that my whole rear end will have the support needed to withstand it.
Happy motoring
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2021, 11:10 PM   #25
eidde
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmyguy88 View Post
They posted a price. $1099 with limited quantity. Looks like a killer deal!
can you post the link
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 06:18 PM   #26
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Anyone find a replacement for the stock diff support bushing?
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 06:12 PM   #27
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
If you are concerned with the use of hard poly/delrin bushings or if if you think you stock bushing is worn or beyond it's service life from age or from driving habits; I would suggest waiting on this mod. I love my brace but the GAW brace is a complete kit that will help you out right away with your high HP build.

So the issue is that BMW does not sell this bushing a la carte so you'd have to buy a brand new brace to the tune of $450 USD and extract that bushing or risk using a bushing from a salvaged car. You really won't know the state of your bushing without getting under the car and begin the removal of the brace.

My indie shop is trying to source a suitable replacement for my bushing. The problem is no one makes one spec'd for the F1x chassis M cars so they are going to buy one they found to be close to test fit. It may need to be milled down a bit to get it pressed in.

If this works out please rest assured I'll pass along the contact info for the shop for y'all to consult with. If you all have any solution recommendations please let me know. I am hoping to find something that is more of an OEM feel but I am willing to give up some of that for a bit more durability.
Appreciate 1
Flo1989342.00
      01-12-2022, 07:14 AM   #28
Roll_Tide
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M6 Comp

Quote:
If you are concerned with the use of hard poly/delrin bushings or if if you think you stock bushing is worn or beyond it's service life from age or from driving habits; I would suggest waiting on this mod. I love my brace but the GAW brace is a complete kit that will help you out right away with your high HP build.

So the issue is that BMW does not sell this bushing a la carte so you'd have to buy a brand new brace to the tune of $450 USD and extract that bushing or risk using a bushing from a salvaged car. You really won't know the state of your bushing without getting under the car and begin the removal of the brace.

My indie shop is trying to source a suitable replacement for my bushing. The problem is no one makes one spec'd for the F1x chassis M cars so they are going to buy one they found to be close to test fit. It may need to be milled down a bit to get it pressed in.

If this works out please rest assured I'll pass along the contact info for the shop for y'all to consult with. If you all have any solution recommendations please let me know. I am hoping to find something that is more of an OEM feel but I am willing to give up some of that for a bit more durability.
If you or your have the capabilities, a local machine should be able to take the bushing/OEN brace and produce a mold for polyurethane. We've done that a few times at work with great results. I traded messages with GAW a few months ago about this - seems they're interested in that down the road vs. delrin.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2022, 03:55 PM   #29
Msparta
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6M

Has anyone looked into parts catalog for the M6 GT3? Would be interesting to compare what beefed up parts they have verses the M…
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 10:09 PM   #30
Bmyguy88
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M6, 135i

Quote:

Did you're stock bushing fail? Also what is this bushing you are making made out of?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 10:27 PM   #31
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmyguy88 View Post
Quote:

Did you're stock bushing fail? Also what is this bushing you are making made out of?
Has not failed completely but it is definitely crazy compromised.

The folks I trust my euros to here in the Tampa, Fl area have sourced a bushing from a manufacturer that is not delrin made.

My rear diff front seal had a leak so I asked them to address that issue first but the bushing has not arrived yet and unfortunately I am going to deploy pretty soon so I may not be able to get closure on this for my car until mid April. If they determine the fit and support to be sufficient then I'll pass along all the details.

For folks buying F1x chassis m cars and then looking to build high hp cars or for folks the buy em just to enjoy in their stock config will surely will need to fix this bushing. 450 bux for a new support is t bad but when you consider the install costs it surely makes just pressing out the bushing and installing a new one much more economical than buying a new support.
Appreciate 0