BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

07-08-2021, 06:50 PM   #1
Kamate
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW m6

Soft door close cable repair!

So I just bought this used f13 m6 and it came with the infamous soft door closing not working on the driver side After digging around a bit, most of the time it is the cable connector broke off by the actuator but I can’t find any DIY repair. Myself is as a DIY, so I went to check it out.
Step one
Pop open the little plastic cover on the side of the door and pull on the whites cable. If it moves back with plenty slack then you know for sure the base connector is broke. Now you can go ahead n pop out the panel to gain access to the actuator.
Step 2
Take off the 3 bolts, unhook top and bottom connectors and pull just the soft door actuator out so you can have access to apply epoxy onto the cable. I use the 5 mins Devcon clear epoxy.
Step 3
Very important, cut off the plastic on the cable otherwise your epoxy won’t hold the cable in place. Don’t ask me how I know!!! There is a picture with my pick pointing at the cut off plastic.
Step 4
Pull your cable back until you can feel just a little tension and stop. Mix a small amount and apply to the base about one inch in length, let it dry and reapply more until you have a good amount of epoxy strength so it can hold the cable. Put everything back n SLAM shut the door, let it sit overnight and you will get your soft door function back.
The whole thing takes maybe 2 hour. 1 1/2 hrs is sitting there waiting for the epoxy to dry before I apply more coat!!
I’m including some pics of my repair and hope it helps out someone with broken cable.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Whipple262.50
LuvMyE922999.00
      07-10-2021, 12:25 AM   #2
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Cool Bro thanks for sharing, send some pics of after you fixed it with epoxy
2015 M6 Gran Coupe> DME stage 3 tune back end flash>JB4 with Methanol control>Fabworx Catless downpipes>Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust 102mm GB tips>Built motor with Forged Cp Carillo Rods and Pistons > SSP spec X clutch > Stage 1 Pure Turbos>PG front mount intakes>PG charge coolers>Vorsteiner front and rear Carbon diffuser>Auto Tecknic Carbon shift paddles>3D Design aluminum pedals
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 02:23 PM   #3
velomack
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6

I found this a while back, not sure if it helps you now, but maybe a good reference

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 04:07 PM   #4
Kamate
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW m6

Yea, my fix was based on that video. But instead of remove the whole door latch out, I can fix it just by removing the door panel. Mine is working flawless now btw. I may just going to epoxy my passenger door just as a precaution.
Appreciate 1
HeyKC101.50
      08-04-2021, 10:24 AM   #5
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Thanks for the tutorial and pics. It's annoying that so much of these cars is plastic that doesn't seem to last far beyond the warranty period. But inexpensive hacks like this save the rest of us from SWI.

Severe Wallet Impact.

Yes, I just made that up. You may use it for free.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0