Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, 2019 F150

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
I keep hearing Milo increased their price again this year? Is that true Marcus?
I saw ACE Hardware had a sale for like $10 a bag (32lbs).
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2020, 11:07 AM   #794
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Quote:
I keep hearing Milo increased their price again this year? Is that true Marcus?
I haven't shopped for any this year. Only because I snagged enough bags for this year too last summer. Let me check local prices...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 11:08 AM   #795
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngilbe36 View Post
I saw ACE Hardware had a sale for like $10 a bag (32lbs).
That's solid. If you all want to see your yard thrive like never before, I highly recommend it.
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2020, 10:43 PM   #796
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Was looking at ordering Prodiamine to throw down soon but then remembered I still have Dimension concentrate leftover from last year. I have some fert that I bought last year that also has Dimension in the prills so this should work out well as early spring and pre-summer applications. I'll probably stick w/ the local fert I found for my spring fert application (along w/ RGS and Humic).
      03-31-2020, 10:48 PM   #797
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Was looking at ordering Prodiamine to throw down soon but then remembered I still have Dimension concentrate leftover from last year. I have some fert that I bought last year that also has Dimension in the prills so this should work out well as early spring and pre-summer applications. I'll probably stick w/ the local fert I found for my spring fert application (along w/ RGS and Humic).
I'll get my RGS/HUMIC12 thrown down probably this Weekend if it's nice. It's been raining these last couple of days. Debating on ordering the MicroGreen?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
bosstones1144.00
      03-31-2020, 11:29 PM   #798
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'll get my RGS/HUMIC12 thrown down probably this Weekend if it's nice. It's been raining these last couple of days. Debating on ordering the MicroGreen?
Naw...too rich for my blood. Especially in addition to RGS and Humic. Honestly, I'll probably par back on those once my current stock is done. It adds up quick for large yards and I'm feeling that I'm better off getting down a more basic routine first.

I liked the local fert and it was organic and well priced. 22-0-2, 50lb bag for $28 and it's only a 5-min drive. I saw no tangible difference btwn it, Hyr-brix, and Carbon-X last year.

Soil temps are still a bit cool for me to throw anything down yet. I'm seeing a little bit of broadleaf pop up in some spots, though, so maybe I'll still do pre-emergent. 5-day average is about 45F.

I had less die off this winter since we had less snow but I'll run my electric dethatcher to help comb up the dead stuff up and fluff the grass a bit before putting anything down. It's only 14" wide so it may take a bit and a lot of extension cord but it's just walking in passes. It's light as hell so it doesn't add much effort.
      04-01-2020, 08:31 AM   #799
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Naw...too rich for my blood. Especially in addition to RGS and Humic. Honestly, I'll probably par back on those once my current stock is done. It adds up quick for large yards and I'm feeling that I'm better off getting down a more basic routine first.

I liked the local fert and it was organic and well priced. 22-0-2, 50lb bag for $28 and it's only a 5-min drive. I saw no tangible difference btwn it, Hyr-brix, and Carbon-X last year.

Soil temps are still a bit cool for me to throw anything down yet. I'm seeing a little bit of broadleaf pop up in some spots, though, so maybe I'll still do pre-emergent. 5-day average is about 45F.

I had less die off this winter since we had less snow but I'll run my electric dethatcher to help comb up the dead stuff up and fluff the grass a bit before putting anything down. It's only 14" wide so it may take a bit and a lot of extension cord but it's just walking in passes. It's light as hell so it doesn't add much effort.
I hear ya! Gonna keep it simple this year than. Probably back with Milo for my fertilizer apps this year with RGS/HUMIC12 every 2 months. For the broadleaf control I bought that weed puller last year and anything the pre emergent doesn't get I'll use that to pull them out. It's a pretty cool tool to use. Just place it right over it, step on the tool and it rips out the broadleaf including the roots. I'll probably detach in the summer.
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 1
bosstones1144.00
      04-01-2020, 09:39 PM   #800
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I hear ya! Gonna keep it simple this year than. Probably back with Milo for my fertilizer apps this year with RGS/HUMIC12 every 2 months. For the broadleaf control I bought that weed puller last year and anything the pre emergent doesn't get I'll use that to pull them out. It's a pretty cool tool to use. Just place it right over it, step on the tool and it rips out the broadleaf including the roots. I'll probably detach in the summer.
What was the weed puller? A weed shotgun?

Do you use a pull-behind tine dethatcher on your lawn tractor? I have one but felt it was better at making grooves and muddy streaks in my yard. Maybe the ground was too wet. lol The electric dethatcher I got off Amazon actually is pretty decent but I like it. Doesn't get it all up but thins it out (which is fine). Should work well for any melt off coming out of winter.
      04-01-2020, 11:08 PM   #801
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

this is the one i bought.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fiskars-S...BoCmTQQAvD_BwE

yup pull behind dethatcher. you need to set yours up right if it's making grooves into your lawn. in should be scraping the thatch area only. i have a 1/2 acre so using an electric version would take to long.

Appreciate 1
Ngilbe361618.50
      04-02-2020, 01:45 PM   #802
bigrum
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP

I feel like this wood stained fence is a catch 22 to clean...

I tried pressure washing and it started chipping away at the surface even when I was careful.

If I spray on a diluted bleach solution, won't it make uneven light spots where the spray was more concentrated?

Also it seems like the bottoms of the posts will eventually rot to death, not even sure what to do about that. The area doesn't get a whole lot of sun as you can tell.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 01:30 PM   #803
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

5 days, are you kidding me?

Rain is coming in Sunday/Monday, so spread Bandini 21-7-14. Figure Tuesday after work I'll need to cut again. Blades are up at #4 now
Attached Images

04-03-2020, 11:36 PM   #804
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

ended up scalping the lawn to get rid of all that dead grass over the winter. looks so much better after i went over it with my lawn sweeper!

my hydrangeas are starting to wake up!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 06:38 AM   #805
dmatre
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrum View Post
I feel like this wood stained fence is a catch 22 to clean...

I tried pressure washing and it started chipping away at the surface even when I was careful.

If I spray on a diluted bleach solution, won't it make uneven light spots where the spray was more concentrated?

Also it seems like the bottoms of the posts will eventually rot to death, not even sure what to do about that. The area doesn't get a whole lot of sun as you can tell.
I don't know about untreated wood, but I recently did our stained deck with a light bleach solution (purchased in a hose-mounted spray bottle).

I did it early morning (in the shade), wet everything down evenly, agitated with a stiff brush, then rinsed completely. Never let it dry on the wood. Results were perfect, with no streaking/spotting.

I would think as long as everything stays wet until rinsing, you shouldn't get any spotting.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 10:58 AM   #806
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Just finished dethatching the yard by hand. First and last time I’ll be doing that without some horsepower. Up next is aerator. Soil is just a little too dry, so I’ll water today and try it again tomorrow if that goes well, fertilizer and I think I’ve finally got a decent base for now. Previous owners just didn’t keep up with it. 7.5 30 gallon yard bags and about 12 hours of back breaking work later...
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
TXSTYLE13653.00
RickFLM410877.50
      04-04-2020, 12:49 PM   #807
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

I've been using and highly recommend Miracle-Gro Stakes! Those things are beastly! My Rose bush I just planted last Spring and then staked it in January is foking exploding with Blooms! I also used one on my young Red Crape Myrtle. They also make a organic variety I am using in my Orange and Peach Trees.
      04-04-2020, 01:08 PM   #808
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
I've been using and highly recommend Miracle-Gro Stakes! Those things are beastly! My Rose bush I just planted last Spring and then staked it in January is foking exploding with Blooms! I also used one on my young Red Crape Myrtle. They also make a organic variety I am using in my Orange and Peach Trees.
I have also used those and they do work really well. Can be a minor PITA to get them into the ground without breaking if there are a lot of roots nearby but they provide nourishment for a long time.
      04-04-2020, 07:17 PM   #809
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I've been struggling with the food production in my garden. Today I was worried maybe pH was wrong so I got a little digital tester and some NPK testers

Turns out my pH is great at 7.0 but there's almost no nutrients Put about 20lbs of triple-15 thru the garden and several surrounding plants
      04-04-2020, 10:57 PM   #810
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Just finished dethatching the yard by hand. First and last time I’ll be doing that without some horsepower. Up next is aerator.
yup! i know that from first hand experience. that's why the following year i said i will buy tools to make the job easier so i bought a dethather, aerator, spreader and a lawn sweeper!

Appreciate 2
RickFLM410877.50
      04-05-2020, 08:54 AM   #811
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just finished dethatching the yard by hand. First and last time I’ll be doing that without some horsepower. Up next is aerator. Soil is just a little too dry, so I’ll water today and try it again tomorrow if that goes well, fertilizer and I think I’ve finally got a decent base for now. Previous owners just didn’t keep up with it. 7.5 30 gallon yard bags and about 12 hours of back breaking work later...
You don’t have St. Augustine do you? St. Augustine does not require dethatching on a regular basis. I could see the need once if the lawn had been neglected but otherwise it should not be needed regularly. That would make next year even easier.

(Disregard if you don’t have St. Augustine.)
MKSixer34171.50
      04-05-2020, 09:53 AM   #812
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
You don’t have St. Augustine do you? St. Augustine does not require dethatching on a regular basis. I could see the need once if the lawn had been neglected but otherwise it should not be needed regularly. That would make next year even easier.

(Disregard if you don’t have St. Augustine.)
I do have St. Augustine (with a mix of Centipede in spots I think). This is my first time really trying to be serious with a yard, so I’m totally figuring this out as I go. The previous owners definitely did not stay on top of it (built 06/2016 and we are second owners as of 02/2020), so I’m just trying to get to a base at this point. Did not know about not dethatching St. Augustine, though!

I’ve got a few bald spots that I think will come together with a fertilizer. Was hoping to aerate today, but we’ve been getting some off and on rain. I do have some big bald spots (one from a parked boat and two more from unchecked ant mansions). I think I may need some sod for those.

Bottom line, I have no idea what I’m doing!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 10:12 AM   #813
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I do have St. Augustine (with a mix of Centipede in spots I think). This is my first time really trying to be serious with a yard, so I’m totally figuring this out as I go. The previous owners definitely did not stay on top of it (built 06/2016 and we are second owners as of 02/2020), so I’m just trying to get to a base at this point. Did not know about not dethatching St. Augustine, though!

I’ve got a few bald spots that I think will come together with a fertilizer. Was hoping to aerate today, but we’ve been getting some off and on rain. I do have some big bald spots (one from a parked boat and two more from unchecked ant mansions). I think I may need some sod for those.

Bottom line, I have no idea what I’m doing!
The best way to deal with bald spots on St. Augustine is to drop some sod down (and water the new sod well until it gets rooted). If you're talking about some small areas it shouldn't be too costly. They would eventually fill in on their own but chances are a lot of what gets filled in are weeds. Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to use seeds with St. Augustine and always patch with sod.
      04-05-2020, 10:19 AM   #814
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
The best way to deal with bald spots on St. Augustine is to drop some sod down (and water the new sod well until it gets rooted). If you're talking about some small areas it shouldn't be too costly. They would eventually fill in on their own but chances are a lot of what gets filled in are weeds. Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to use seeds with St. Augustine and always patch with sod.
In that same vein, I've also heard to not overseed St. Augustine. That was my initial thought in a hope to thicken up some of the thin areas, but the internet tells me that is a no-no.

Looking at the shape of dead behind the driveway, I'd say he had about a 18 ft boat parked in the same spot for a considerable amount of time. The yard is thick surrounding it, but there's a "V" shape of really just dry dirt that shows no sign of life. Sod will be the way to go for that.

I think my final battle to get to that base will be weed control in the islands under the three large oaks I have. With as mature as they are, I'd imagine I'd be fine to blast some Round-Up or something, but I'm thinking it may just be a forever battle. Would like to come up with a way to have a bit more of a permanent solution.
Appreciate 0