BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      12-17-2020, 06:46 PM   #1
Msparta
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6M

Another diy I just finished... pics speak for themselves... my coolant lines were in bad shape and due for replacement on the pipe joints. I ordered the kit oem and got right into it.

Was very easy just be careful bot to bend the thin aluminum lines as they are fragile. New clips, new oem rubber joints tubbing and I had previously ordered the clip tool to press them and remove the old ones.

Minimal leakage is expected when removing the initial joint... just have some rags under the lines...

Overall it came out better then if I would have had the dealer do it... my opinion.

Now if anyone can help point me to the best cleaner to use to try and cleanup what seems like prior coolant leak stains all over the engine bay on metal parts... I purchased small steel and copper brushes but have not identified the ideal cleaner to remove the stains....
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
M6Roar85.50
Whipple262.50
      12-19-2020, 04:05 PM   #2
m6NYC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupé

Very clean, nice work! Will be doing these aswell soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 05:41 PM   #3
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Did anyone try these from project gamma?

https://www.shopprojectgamma.com/pro...-coolant-lines
2015 M6 Gran Coupe> DME stage 3 tune back end flash>JB4 with Methanol control>Fabworx Catless downpipes>Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust 102mm GB tips>Built motor with Forged Cp Carillo Rods and Pistons > SSP spec X clutch > Stage 1 Pure Turbos>PG front mount intakes>PG charge coolers>Vorsteiner front and rear Carbon diffuser>Auto Tecknic Carbon shift paddles>3D Design aluminum pedals
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 09:00 PM   #4
m6NYC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post

Interesting find! I doubt they will show much performance improvement or reduce heat soak. I've driven the beast with bone empty turbo coolant tanks in between dealer servicing (not intentional, there just isn't a dash indicator light). After topping up the weirdly located coolant tank for the turbos, i hardly felt a difference.

Last edited by m6NYC; 12-20-2020 at 07:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 09:58 PM   #5
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6NYC View Post
Interesting find! I doubt they will show much performance improvement or reduce heat soak. I've driven the beast with bone empty turbo coolant tanks for in between dealer servicing (not intentional, there just isn't a dash indicator light). After topping up the weirdly located coolant tank for the turbos, i hardly felt a difference.
Whoa. Had no idea there's a coolant tank just for the turbos.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 12:00 AM   #6
Msparta
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Any actual pics available? Seems like a mock-up cg...

Aluminum parts and tubing that are exposed to high heat can have direct effect on anodized finishes ... if it is hard anodized then it's a premium finish vs regular anodized finish. Also the percentage of other materials on the aluminum can be unknowns... those lines get hot AF.

Maybe they are oem lines that are anodized treated. Hard anodized is what apple does to their products to keep them from getting marked too easily. These oem lines are super soft and fragile bare aluminum stock.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 04:18 PM   #7
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msparta View Post

Aluminum parts and tubing that are exposed to high heat can have direct effect on anodized finishes ... if it is hard anodized then it's a premium finish vs regular anodized finish. Also the percentage of other materials on the aluminum can be unknowns... those lines get hot AF.

Maybe they are oem lines that are anodized treated. Hard anodized is what apple does to their products to keep them from getting marked too easily. These oem lines are super soft and fragile bare aluminum stock.
I see Tommy Turbo is using them , he says there doing fine

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 08:29 PM   #8
Msparta
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I see Tommy Turbo is using them , he says there doing fine

That's an intense red! They look thicker or maybe it's me.. looks great though!

Any idea what cat down pipes those are?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 04:57 AM   #9
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That's an intense red! They look thicker or maybe it's me.. looks great though!

Any idea what cat down pipes those are?
It is an intense Red , they actually match the silicone color to the red paint on the intercoolers very close

The OD is definitely thicker, I would assume the ID would be very close the same they would have to maintain the same flow, I would hope

The only thing Im not crazy about the silicone lines is they don’t utilize the factory supports they seem like they just float there

Those are Catless downpipes , not sure what brand ,that car is from the the UK so maybe Evolve
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 08:29 AM   #10
patchesj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

Yeah, this seems like one of those "is it really doing what you think it is doing" kind of products. The "heat soak" is all from the turbo's themselves, and the problem is the factory rubber junction hoses falling apart. You aren't going to add any more heat to the coolant from the air vs the turbo housings it just came from. The factory aluminum tubes aren't going to wear out, and the chance of failure is significantly less than whatever they have used to create that bonded Y fitting in silicone... Replacing hard tubing with flex silicone doesn't really accomplish anything other than look like you've spent $200 on some cool colors. But maybe if they were made out of carbon fiber and saved weight....

--further thought, the unsupported nature of the installation is going to lead to a physical wearing on the bottom of the hoses since they are laying on something with significant vibration. This just doesn't seem like a good idea at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 08:45 AM   #11
aann
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f13 M6 2016

Quote:
Another diy I just finished... pics speak for themselves... my coolant lines were in bad shape and due for replacement on the pipe joints. I ordered the kit oem and got right into it.

Was very easy just be careful bot to bend the thin aluminum lines as they are fragile. New clips, new oem rubber joints tubbing and I had previously ordered the clip tool to press them and remove the old ones.

Minimal leakage is expected when removing the initial joint... just have some rags under the lines...

Overall it came out better then if I would have had the dealer do it... my opinion.

Now if anyone can help point me to the best cleaner to use to try and cleanup what seems like prior coolant leak stains all over the engine bay on metal parts... I purchased small steel and copper brushes but have not identified the ideal cleaner to remove the stains....
Can you post the part numbers for the coolant lines that you . replaced
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 12:02 AM   #12
GRIMA
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

You can use FLEXFAB 3/8” ID silicone hose (1 ft is enough for all four replacement) and 10-16mm metal clamps
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 12:07 PM   #13
uddinsa
Rep
Drives: M6

After completing did u have to top up coolant or bleed air etc…like you normaly do for engine coolant ??
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 06:39 AM   #14
Msparta
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uddinsa View Post
After completing did u have to top up coolant or bleed air etc…like you normaly do for engine coolant ??
Yes and a few drives in you have to keep a close eye not to have the mini coolant run low as any loss of coolant can settle the flow over time…

Wish I had posted some recent diy as I have been restoring the m6 … hope I find time to document the next fix - I do have parts on the way… stay tunned
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 03:37 AM   #15
Blaxwil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

I used a different type of clamp and a high grade high temp hose. I’ll have to find the link for the clamps and hose I used. I haven’t had a coolant hose issue in over 100k miles since completing this mod.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 03:42 AM   #16
Msparta
First Lieutenant
Rep

Nice, share pics if possible would love to see what you did.

I recently had to replace a ruptured hose near one of the coolant pumps midway down the front of the engine (difficult to get to). The hose was a special PVC / rubber hose which I ended up breaking trying to change it off. It was brittle.

This had me thinking that most hoses can def begin to wear at 90k+ miles… then i realized wait there are like 60+ hoses and most impossible to get to unless you remove the engine lol the S63tu is an insane engine with insane upkeep 🤣
Appreciate 0