BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Configure SPORT

05-01-2017, 04:24 PM   #1
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Configure SPORT

Hello All....new M2 owner here. Thought I would join in if you'll have me? Did a forum search and couldn't find any discussion on the configure SPORT settings. The owners manual has allot to be desired. From what I understand there is no adaptive suspension on the M2 as there is with the M3 & M4. So why is there a "chassis" setting? I tried both the drivetrain and chassis settings yesterday for the first time and the steering felt stiffer, which I understand, but it also felt like the suspension got stiffer. Is this just me imagining things or has something been altered in this set-up?

Just turned 600 miles on the clock yesterday and I am loving this car, especially the tranny, feels so good to be going through the gears again (Last manual I had was an e28 which I put 230K miles on) Bought it for a Sunday driver, but I could see this car being a fantastic daily vehicle if need be.

A few minor niggles here and there, but overall a nice piece of kit for the money.

Looking forward to being here....
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 05:27 PM   #2
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Garage List
Hi, welcome to the forum! You are correct the M2 does not have adaptive suspension. In fact there is nothing you can tweek or configure for each of the traction modes.

You have Comfort which is well comfort
Sport which is a heavier steering and a slight sportier throttle response.
Sport+ which is a heavier steering and a sporty throttle response. It also enables the MDM setting for the diff.
A short press of the traction button places it in 'traction' mode with MDM and standard throttle and steering with a 'secret' exhaust mode.
A long press of the traction button disables most of the driver aids.
Appreciate 2
      05-01-2017, 07:20 PM   #3
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Driventrain is throttle and transmission. Chassis is steering.

M2 adopts the generic system from 2 series, some of which have adjustable suspension, hence chassis.
      05-02-2017, 08:39 AM   #4
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Okay, makes sense, thanks. Need to spend more time with it. My seat of the pants feel thought that the suspension got stiffer as well, but it was probably the steering and MDM together making it appear that way.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 09:00 AM   #5
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommitConfirm View Post
A long press of the traction button disables most of the driver aids.
To expound upon this....it sets comfort steering (pretty sure) and comfort throttle response.
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 09:08 AM   #6
tutankhamon
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB BMW M2

What is this 'secret' exhaust mode? I was under the impression that the exhaust changed tune simply by going to sport+. Then of course activated track mode in the MPE brings the animal out. Does the short press of the traction control button while in sport+ release yet another mode?!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 09:52 AM   #7
riottyp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutankhamon View Post
What is this 'secret' exhaust mode? I was under the impression that the exhaust changed tune simply by going to sport+. Then of course activated track mode in the MPE brings the animal out. Does the short press of the traction control button while in sport+ release yet another mode?!
Nope, it only works when you are in manual and Comfort mode!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 01:19 PM   #8
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

It works in any mode since it changes the mode.
Press DSC Off button (short press) = Traction mode. You'll see "Traction" in the display within the tachometer.
Traction mode has all of the same settings as Comfort, except MDM is enabled.
The exhaust does seem to burble more in this mode, noticeable at slow speeds coming off the throttle. I can't tell if it's louder than it is in Sport+ or not, to be honest, but it could be.
Point being you can enter Traction mode by pressing DSC Off button at any time, and the car will switch to Traction mode which is simply Comfort + MDM + "a few extra burbles"
Appreciate 0