BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      12-28-2020, 03:02 PM   #1057
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

I cant believe this is 48 pages....you guys are diehard!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 05:06 PM   #1058
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

49, but who's counting?

After my post last night it POURED! The drain in my driveway wasn't able to drain the water, because the level in the street was higher. I had to do my best imitation of a PW crew member and clear the storm drain at the end of the street so the water could flow. That Bandini got pounded into the grass!
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4467.00
      12-30-2020, 11:41 AM   #1059
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Cleared grass for the puppers.
Attached Images

12-31-2020, 03:23 PM   #1060
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

it actually feels nice not to worry about the lawn for a few months even tho i hate winters!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 08:44 AM   #1061
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Bump!

The snow here has now melted and revealed the lovely matted down grass that is typical this time of year. Not looking forward to raking all 32k sq ft to break it up so more air and light can get in once the grass starts coming out of dormancy. Maybe I'll run the lawn sweeper over it first to see how good a job that does.

Also need to start digging up last year's clumping fescue and reseeding those spots.
Attached Images

03-09-2021, 08:57 AM   #1062
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

Battle of Bermuda got worse last year (I was losing), gonna increase the Turflon Ester ratio...if not gonna RoundUp that stuff come fall !! lol
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 09:08 AM   #1063
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
to the pros
i need help!
my lawn is in bad shape, practically dead.
i been watching DIY on youtubes
what are good brands that i can find at local homedepot or lowes?
i need top soil, fertilizers and seeds?

it seems previous owners and person flipping the house didnt give a dam about the lawn.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 09:30 AM   #1064
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

Attachment 2547811

Last edited by Lady Jane; 01-06-2022 at 05:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
bosstones1144.00
      03-09-2021, 09:41 AM   #1065
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
to the pros
i need help!

it seems previous owners and person flipping the house didnt give a dam about the lawn.
None of the top dressings I've ever found at HD did much good. They all seem to contain SIGNIFCANT amounts of ground up wood, and it just doesn't do anything after the first couple of mows, because it's in the bag now. Even if I watered it first, then mowed.

When I was doing the LL infield, I found that adding some sand, some seed, and then dragging the grass with the infield screen did the best for baseball levels and bounce. Never did get a screen for the home though, since my main grass is crab.
Appreciate 1
nyalpine907383.00
      03-09-2021, 10:49 AM   #1066
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
to the pros
i need help!

Got pix you can post? Everything looks like crap right now for cool season lawns (I'm assuming you're in NY based in your handle).

How big is your yard?

Are weeds a problem? Bare/thin spots? Everything just dead for unknown reasons?

There could be a number of different causes for bad lawns.

If you plan to top dress everything, you're better off finding a landscape nursery and buying in bulk.

Compost/top soil mix is good for fresh starts but you find twigs and other bits from the compost. Screened top soil by itself can be very expensive. Sand is good for improving drainage and leveling out dips/uneven areas since it doesn't break down once it works into the soil.

There are lots of places to get grass seed from. Depends on what you want/need. I prefer to go online for grass seed.
      03-09-2021, 11:01 AM   #1067
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post

Got pix you can post? Everything looks like crap right now for cool season lawns (I'm assuming you're in NY based in your handle).

How big is your yard?

Are weeds a problem? Bare/thin spots? Everything just dead for unknown reasons?

There could be a number of different causes for bad lawns.

If you plan to top dress everything, you're better off finding a landscape nursery and buying in bulk.

Compost/top soil mix is good for fresh starts but you find twigs and other bits from the compost. Screened top soil by itself can be very expensive. Sand is good for improving drainage and leveling out dips/uneven areas since it doesn't break down once it works into the soil.

There are lots of places to get grass seed from. Depends on what you want/need. I prefer to go online for grass seed.
im in NY
whatever i will need, has to be in bulk lol
i will try to take some pics soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 11:06 AM   #1068
Ngilbe36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, 2019 F150

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
to the pros
i need help!

Youve got a couple choices. If its really a complete disaster, put down some pre-emergent at a rate to protect you until August and then do a complete renovation in late summer killing off all the current growth and putting down new seed. For in depth info, go to thelawnforum.
Appreciate 1
nyalpine907383.00
      03-09-2021, 11:26 PM   #1069
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Bump!

The snow here has now melted and revealed the lovely matted down grass that is typical this time of year. Not looking forward to raking all 32k sq ft to break it up so more air and light can get in once the grass starts coming out of dormancy. Maybe I'll run the lawn sweeper over it first to see how good a job that does.

Also need to start digging up last year's clumping fescue and reseeding those spots.
it's getting close to lawn season again!!! i'll be using my lawn sweeper to get the grass back up again and get some air flow moving. Than mow off all the dead grass since i left it at 3" just before winter. probably as low as i can get it without scalping the grass

ordered a new fertilizer spreader since the Scott's one sux with it's plastic wheels. this one has 12 inch pneumatic tires which will make it easier

the only project i have for the outside this year is just upgrade my sprinklers in the flower beds to drip irrigation
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410879.00
      03-10-2021, 05:47 AM   #1070
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I put down weed n feed in early February, followed by pre-emergent and pest control last weekend. We’ve had a strange winter, alternating between cooler than normal and quite a bit warmer than normal.
      03-10-2021, 05:49 AM   #1071
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

I asked my snow contractor to open a path to my garden shed. I'll probably start on the lawn in mid-August. Attachment 2548654

Attachment 2548653

Last edited by Lady Jane; 01-06-2022 at 05:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2021, 05:49 AM   #1072
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
it's getting close to lawn season again!!! i'll be using my lawn sweeper to get the grass back up again and get some air flow moving. Than mow off all the dead grass since i left it at 3" just before winter. probably as low as i can get it without scalping the grass

ordered a new fertilizer spreader since the Scott's one sux with it's plastic wheels. this one has 12 inch pneumatic tires which will make it easier

the only project i have for the outside this year is just upgrade my sprinklers in the flower beds to drip irrigation
Those wheels definitely look better than Scott’s plastic wheels (although I’m on year 20-ish with my Scott’s spreader). Interested to hear how application goes with it. Been thinking about a new one for a while now.
      03-10-2021, 08:10 AM   #1073
jmack
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: OG M2, E70 X5M

Does anyone with a high traffic lawn found a real solution to keeping it nice? I have two kids and two big dogs so my grass and soil is always compressed and by mid-summer it's half dead. I have tried targeted aerating and overseeding but it hasn't really worked. This year I am planning on aerating and overseeding the entire lawn with some stronger grasses, perennial ryegrasses and red fescus blend.

Any other tips that have actually worked for you?
Appreciate 1
nyalpine907383.00
      03-13-2021, 07:29 AM   #1074
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Those wheels definitely look better than Scott’s plastic wheels (although I’m on year 20-ish with my Scott’s spreader). Interested to hear how application goes with it. Been thinking about a new one for a while now.
i've been using my Scott's for about 4 years now. it does the job but doesn't hold as much product as i'd like it to. also it bothers my back that i'm hunched over doing .50 acre because it's handles are low. at least with this new one i can somewhat stand upright. i have my tow behind spreader but sometimes i feel like i'm not hitting everything cause i can't see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack View Post
Does anyone with a high traffic lawn found a real solution to keeping it nice? I have two kids and two big dogs so my grass and soil is always compressed and by mid-summer it's half dead. I have tried targeted aerating and overseeding but it hasn't really worked. This year I am planning on aerating and overseeding the entire lawn with some stronger grasses, perennial ryegrasses and red fescus blend.

Any other tips that have actually worked for you?
from Allyne Hayne and the other grass gurus on Youtube you probably want to select a grass blend for high traffic. you'll probably have to do a search on that
Appreciate 1
jmack548.50
      03-13-2021, 07:39 AM   #1075
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

warmer temperatures now so i ordered Prodiamine 0-0-7 and Starter Fertilizer 12-12-12

Appreciate 1
RickFLM410879.00
      03-13-2021, 07:44 AM   #1076
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
warmer temperatures now so i ordered Prodiamine 0-0-7 and Starter Fertilizer 12-12-12

Exactly what I put down (Prodiamine). I have 1/2 bag of Lesco fertilizer I will put down in late April or early May. After that, it will be too hot to do anything to the lawn other than pest control until late September or October.

I'm going outside today to fertilize and put pest control around gardenia and fertilize the palms. Didn't feel like doing it after finishing lawn last week.

Live Oaks getting trimmed in the next few weeks. Wish I had already had it done but originally planned to wait one more year. But now I can see one of them will be hitting the roof and have some branches too low over sidewalk.
      03-13-2021, 08:42 AM   #1077
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Exactly what I put down (Prodiamine). I have 1/2 bag of Lesco fertilizer I will put down in late April or early May. After that, it will be too hot to do anything to the lawn other than pest control until late September or October.

I'm going outside today to fertilize and put pest control around gardenia and fertilize the palms. Didn't feel like doing it after finishing lawn last week.

Live Oaks getting trimmed in the next few weeks. Wish I had already had it done but originally planned to wait one more year. But now I can see one of them will be hitting the roof and have some branches too low over sidewalk.
sounds like you got a good start of the season. i'm going to put a little more effort this year on things. i'm being tricked with this nice weather right now and i'm still expecting one more snow dump on us i still need to prune a bunch of my limelight hydrangeas and clean up a lot of last years summer annuals and ornamental grass that's all dead lol.

btw, do you have any drip irrigation? i'm researching on converting my sprinklers in the flower beds to drip. looks pretty simple to do from watching a bunch of Youtube videos. suppose to save water $$$$
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410879.00
      03-13-2021, 09:09 AM   #1078
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

Quote:
to the pros
i need help!

We had a new house in Virginia awhile back, which is mostly clay. They had throw down some quick seed. I cut it really low, had a guy come aerate, found a local supplier of comp pro (in this case it was top soil, grudge pulled from bottom of James River and fertilizers mixed). Look up local rock/top soil suppliers and see who may have some mixture...straight top soil is ok, but a mix like this will grow grass on asphalt lol

After aerate, I heavy seeded. Comp pro was delivered in massive pile, few yards. Spread immediately or keep covered,if it gets wet, it clumps and a pain in the ass to spread. Start at far end from pile and wheelbarrle..used upside down medal rake to spread. This also allowed for the better stuff to go down into the aerated holes, for long lasting.

Heavy seed, hay/straw on top, water as necc. 3 weeks later it looked like a golf course. As my wife said looking at, "Holy F**k"

Of course I did this in mid September when temps mellowed out here. Spring is tough, as roots cant take with hot temps.

Good luck - but some bags of stuff from HD is a losing battle..fine for maintenance.
Appreciate 1
nyalpine907383.00