BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

08-18-2019, 07:48 PM   #23
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

You will not regret purchasing M6 especially Gran Coupe but please consider getting a warranty offering a peace of mind. M6 V8 engine is very expensive to repair.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 04:31 AM   #24
BMWRog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerx5 View Post
What is a cool down? I do the warm up certainly, but trying to preserve this!
Cool down as I understand it, is NOT switching the ignition off straightaway after a hot, hard, fast run. This gives the turbos a chance to cool down a little whilst oil is still being pumped through the bearings.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 07:50 AM   #25
castlesteve
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Coupe, 2017 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRog View Post
Cool down as I understand it, is NOT switching the ignition off straightaway after a hot, hard, fast run. This gives the turbos a chance to cool down a little whilst oil is still being pumped through the bearings.
So to extend this a little.... the twin turbo V8 (even on the N63) is very very hot... even in normal operation, without the bigger turbos in the M series. This car has 4 additional electric water pumps and a fan that blows on the turbo when the car is off.

While the BMW engineers did a great job of giving us a wild engine, the heat issues have continued to plague the series because it is trying to be everything for everyone - even daily driver soccer moms. All the short drives eventually started killing batteries because the car is constantly running pumps and fans to attempt to cool the car off -> in order to reduce part failure due to heat soak. The heat has also caused lots of issues on the earlier engines.

Take that a little further. If BMW is going out of their way and replacing AGM batteries as course of normal yearly inspection, there's something to this all.

So... what can you do to try to extend the life of your engine and misc parts? Something that BMW would never ever ask of a consumer to do?

I personally put a box fan in my garage - near headlight height. When I park it.. I pop to hood and allow the box fan to the engine... and let all that heat out by lifting the hood. Even if it's for 50% of your trips, I guarantee your car will last longer.

Testament - I did this for my Porsche 944 turbo - and was able to get 250k miles on original turbo and engine with no leaks.

Heat kills engines when not running. Add 2 turbos.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 04:10 PM   #26
mikerx5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 F06, 2022 G06

Quote:
Originally Posted by castlesteve View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRog View Post
So to extend this a little.... the twin turbo V8 (even on the N63) is very very hot... even in normal operation, without the bigger turbos in the M series. This car has 4 additional electric water pumps and a fan that blows on the turbo when the car is off.

While the BMW engineers did a great job of giving us a wild engine, the heat issues have continued to plague the series because it is trying to be everything for everyone - even daily driver soccer moms. All the short drives eventually started killing batteries because the car is constantly running pumps and fans to attempt to cool the car off -> in order to reduce part failure due to heat soak. The heat has also caused lots of issues on the earlier engines.

Take that a little further. If BMW is going out of their way and replacing AGM batteries as course of normal yearly inspection, there's something to this all.

So... what can you do to try to extend the life of your engine and misc parts? Something that BMW would never ever ask of a consumer to do?

I personally put a box fan in my garage - near headlight height. When I park it.. I pop to hood and allow the box fan to the engine... and let all that heat out by lifting the hood. Even if it's for 50% of your trips, I guarantee your car will last longer.

Testament - I did this for my Porsche 944 turbo - and was able to get 250k miles on original turbo and engine with no leaks.

Heat kills engines when not running. Add 2 turbos.
Got it thanks. So idle for 15 seconds before driving, nothing over 3500rpm until oil warms, and a short cool down period before shutting down (coupled with a fan). This is like having a pet! Ha!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 10:58 AM   #27
madskater5
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z06, 2012 GTI

OP.. Did you go through with this? What are your thoughts after the change? In a similar situation here. Currently have a C6 Z06 close to 600whp with brake and suspension mods, always wanted a M6. I’ve had the Z for over 4 years and I’m itching for something new.

Anyone else go through a similar change?

Thanks!

PS- I know I’m bumping an old thread, but I’d get yelled at if I didn’t search first, right? Ha.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 10:05 PM   #28
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Definitely go with the coupe
      03-10-2020, 06:19 PM   #29
hirkaismyname
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 CP GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Definitely go with the coupe
Why do you say that Flying Ace ?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 11:57 PM   #30
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirkaismyname View Post
Why do you say that Flying Ace ?
He's already concerned with the size and weight of the car. The better bet for him would go with the lightest smallest and shortest iteration, the coupe.