BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

12-21-2019, 10:08 AM   #1
serpico1
Rep
Drives: ???

M6 Gran Coupe=Buying a ticket on the Titanic!!..Resale value?..

Hi All,

First let me start by saying I love Bummers. I have owned an X5 Diels which I loved and kept for 3 years and I owned a 330 after college and drove it for 6 years! I loved both cars.

Can someone please explain the horrific, embarrasing, not believable, horrid and scary low resale values of the M6 gran coupe?

I knkw AMG also have really bad resale values but....

I remember like yesterday being on the BMW configurator building my Daytona Gray M6 gran coupe and that number was like $115k...$115k!!!! Ok i thought this is the baddes ass DD out there..crazy HP and handling, looks better than any car out there (subjective) i know but its a beauty..then life happend and I didnt end up getting one.

fast forward a few years I go on cars.com and these 2015's are going for like $40k with only 18 or 20k miles on them...$40 grand...a ford mustand GT costs more..a loaded nissan maxima costs more..you guys get the picture..how does a $120k car thats only broken in with 20k miles go for $40k??? Please explain it to me..

And why would I or we ever buy an M car? Do they all fall like this...granted depreciation happens, i guess except for maybe the 911 GT'3 and GT3 RS's but I am at a loss.

Ok well, maybe I will go take my $35 grand and negotiate and go buy one with only 20k miles on it..prob the deal of the century if you get an extended warranty and have no out of pocket costs.

Do you guys who own one regret buying it? I know cats are not investments but come on, a drop like this is hard to understand.

Thanks and I look forward to your comments telling me I am crazy or maybe I am seeing this all wrong?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 11:11 AM   #2
serpico1
Rep
Drives: ???

Sorry gents, I was off by $10k and 10k Miles

50k and 30k miles-many examples for sales on cars.com
Anyway, looking for comments and sorry advice as I said at these prices I am seriously thinking of getting one.
Since they are discontinued, is this a deal breaker or to good of a deal to pass up?
Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 12:09 PM   #3
mikerx5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 F06, 2022 G06

Give this a read...

Why the sudden depreciation? https://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1585476
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 03:55 PM   #4
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico1 View Post
Hi All,

First let me start by saying I love Bummers. ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico1 View Post
50k and 30k miles-many examples for sales on cars.com
Anyway, looking for comments and sorry advice as I said at these prices I am seriously thinking of getting one.
Since they are discontinued, is this a deal breaker or to good of a deal to pass up?
Thanks again!
Yep that sounds most realistic '14s with >50k miles are around the $40k mark retail. Start adding desirable options/colours/comp spec and that price goes up. Sub 30k miles cars are closer to the $50k, and the few examples I tracked before buying mine were proving tough to shift.

Having said that, I was also looking RS7s which are holding their values far better, but still hang around dealer lots for ages.

It's been mentioned in a few posts recently as you're correct, there has been some pretty epic depreciation on these in the last couple of years. Combination of factors from the new 8 Series/M8, a really high initial MSRP, niche following, reliability/maintenance costs etc. I choose to look at this as a great thing, allowing me to get into a good example and use the depreciation savings to spend on thorough maintenance & running costs. I can enjoy it for a few years under warranty, then sell it and suffer 1/10th the depreciation vs the original owner.

Being discontinued is not an issue. I would look at getting a CPO'd car, or one with existing warranty, then drive and enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 05:46 PM   #5
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Economics 101. Who is in the market for a car...or where is the market for a car that has no warranty but costs over $50k? As you mentioned...you can drop $40K for a brand new Mustang GT or a loaded Nissan Maxima...but they will come with a what...3yr/4yr/5yr warranty, right?

So...who buys an originally $115k car that is now 4-6 yrs old, is out of warranty, and has over 10k+ miles on the odometer? Added to this...the cost of regular maintenance & upkeep will be out of pocket and not that cheap/inexpensive because it is a luxury sport vehicle with lots of electronics and power equipment as well as regular/routine maintenance items that aren't inexpensive to replace if needed.

This leaves a small group of potential buyers willing to take the risk or see the bargain...and also have the financial means to keep the car maintained outside of a full bumper to bumper warranty. So low demand with lots of product...makes it a buyers market and the prices keep dropping until there's a market of buyers. The market may not be saturated with prime examples...but neither are they that rare either. Again, the prices drop until there are buyers willing to "tap-in" and take a "bite-at-the-apple".

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 09:17 AM   #6
mikerx5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 F06, 2022 G06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Economics 101. Who is in the market for a car...or where is the market for a car that has no warranty but costs over $50k? As you mentioned...you can drop $40K for a brand new Mustang GT or a loaded Nissan Maxima...but they will come with a what...3yr/4yr/5yr warranty, right?

So...who buys an originally $115k car that is now 4-6 yrs old, is out of warranty, and has over 10k+ miles on the odometer? Added to this...the cost of regular maintenance & upkeep will be out of pocket and not that cheap/inexpensive because it is a luxury sport vehicle with lots of electronics and power equipment as well as regular/routine maintenance items that aren't inexpensive to replace if needed.

This leaves a small group of potential buyers willing to take the risk or see the bargain...and also have the financial means to keep the car maintained outside of a full bumper to bumper warranty. So low demand with lots of product...makes it a buyers market and the prices keep dropping until there's a market of buyers. The market may not be saturated with prime examples...but neither are they that rare either. Again, the prices drop until there are buyers willing to "tap-in" and take a "bite-at-the-apple".
Spot on. Bought our 2014, out of warranty, completely stock for 46 with 26k miles. Debating on adding a warranty, but not a DD. The risk is scary, but getting a car with a sticker of over 130 for that price is worth it to me at least.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
BMW535iva280.00
      12-22-2019, 11:41 AM   #7
NorthCountryGuy
The Quiet One
Rep
Drives: M6, E70, E71

Garage List
2013 X6 M  [0.00]
2013 M6  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i Spo ...  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i  [0.00]
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerx5 View Post
Spot on. Bought our 2014, out of warranty, completely stock for 46 with 26k miles. Debating on adding a warranty, but not a DD. The risk is scary, but getting a car with a sticker of over 130 for that price is worth it to me at least.
Same here.
Got my mint 2013 with 29k miles for nicely under 40. I added a quality warranty, the same that all my cars are covered with: extended labor rates, specialized/upgraded suspension coverage, specialized electronic coverage - all computer displays, sensors, computers/modules... for 60 months/125k miles at a very reasonable price (2.00/day 100.00 deductible).
The M6 is not my DD.
I thought I’ve done very well
2013 X6 M Sapphire Black Metallic / Black Merino \ Carbon Fiber - Son’s
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 01:51 PM   #8
M6ORL
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw m6 bmw 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCountryGuy View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Same here.
Got my mint 2013 with 29k miles for nicely under 40. I added a quality warranty, the same that all my cars are covered with: extended labor rates, specialized/upgraded suspension coverage, specialized electronic coverage - all computer displays, sensors, computers/modules... for 60 months/125k miles at a very reasonable price (2.00/day 100.00 deductible).
The M6 is not my DD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCountryGuy View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Spot on. Bought our 2014, out of warranty, completely stock for 46 with 26k miles. Debating on adding a warranty, but not a DD. The risk is scary, but getting a car with a sticker of over 130 for that price is wormth it to me at least.
Same here.
The M6 is not my DD.

what warranty you have northcountryguy ??
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 02:38 PM   #9
NorthCountryGuy
The Quiet One
Rep
Drives: M6, E70, E71

Garage List
2013 X6 M  [0.00]
2013 M6  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i Spo ...  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M6ORL View Post
what warranty you have northcountryguy ??
Freedom Warranty LLC.
Sold only through dealers.
2013 X6 M Sapphire Black Metallic / Black Merino \ Carbon Fiber - Son’s
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 02:53 PM   #10
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Yes, it's a Titanic
      12-23-2019, 02:00 AM   #11
MelbourneFinn
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 G30 M550i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [9.00]
And everyone adores Titanic!

Maybe I’m missing something, but the OP would indeed be in the boat to benefit from the depreciation? You should be happy for someone to have taken a big hit from new!
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2019, 10:13 AM   #12
Jasoneo5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997 TTs, GS-F, RS6, M6 GC-sold

Over 2 years ago I purchased a 14', from a BMW dealer for $41,500 with 54k miles. Had everything but CCB
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 04:26 PM   #13
BMW535iva
Major
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Timeless good looks!
Appreciate 1
mikerx5461.00