BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

06-09-2019, 10:24 PM   #1
spikespiegel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 comp

Garage List
mirror folding/locking during car wash

Ok, i still haven't figured this one out. WHen i'm washing the car, with the fob in my pocket, somehow, for SOME reason, the car locks itself, and then folds the mirror! I have not figured out how/why it does that, is it because of the water touching some sensor? I know theres not really an option to fold the mirror during lock, but mine does it during a car wash! WTF! How is that possible, its happened a couple of times, i have NO idea how that happens, any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 11:58 AM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikespiegel View Post
...is it because of the water touching some sensor?
I know theres not really an option to fold the mirror during lock, but mine does it during a car wash! WTF! How is that possible, its happened a couple of times, i have NO idea how that happens, any ideas?
Your quick assumptions sounds like the conclusion of this oft discussed topic across multiple BMW forums where the models have CA (comfort access).

And yes...the mirrors can be coded to fold when the CA door locking is initiated. Are you the original owner or does the car have POs (previous owners). If it does, then perhaps you have some coding that you aren't aware of. Have you tried keeping the LOCK button pressed to see if it will roll up the windows, close the sunroof and fold the mirrors?

Quick google search comes up with these:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 06-10-2019 at 12:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 06:19 PM   #3
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X-Drive

If you keep the fob inside the car when washing it wont happen anymore. Also try holding down the locking button on your keyfob or hold your finger down on the comfort access locking sensor for 2 seconds, it should start rolling up your windows and folding your mirrors and that would mean that most likely your car was coded or somehow came with those options enabled from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 07:37 PM   #4
spikespiegel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 comp

Garage List
HA! Knew i could count on you guys! I did have my car coded, by BPM sport; they had done a lotta things including EURO TC and all that jazz, but had no idea they coded the mirror foldup on long press lock button. Awesome, now I know how to do fold em up! Thanks fellas
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 10:03 AM   #5
BMWRog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalM6GC View Post
If you keep the fob inside the car when washing it wont happen anymore...
Whoa! That's a bit dangerous.

I did that once, and only once! Luckily, the spare key was easily available to me. And don't ask me how the car managed to lock itself, but it did.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 11:44 AM   #6
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRog View Post
Whoa! That's a bit dangerous.

I did that once, and only once! Luckily, the spare key was easily available to me. And don't ask me how the car managed to lock itself, but it did.
BMW fixed the issue a long time ago. Not only that, but you can get into your car through your phone now via the BMW app so there is zero danger of leaving the fob inside the car when washing it. Embrace technology
Appreciate 0