BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      12-22-2021, 09:58 PM   #1
Msparta
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6M

CCB break fluid m6

Question: I'm about to perform my break bleed on my F06 with carbon ceramic breaks CCB and trying to figure out if I should be using the oem dot 4 bmw break fluid or going with Castro break racing fluid?

Is there any official information on TIS on what fluid should be used in our beasts specially those with the carbon ceramic breaks?!

Thanks in advanced!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 11:33 AM   #2
DarkMastyr
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6GC

Should have no impact on the type of brakes. The fluid sits behind the pistons in the calipers and is just meant to provide hydraulic pressure.

Any DOT4 is probably fine for street use. Castrol SRF is top of the line, and folks who track their cars tend to like it as it holds up for a long time and they only need to swap once a season due to the high wet boiling point, but at $60-70/quart is 2-3x the cost of other fluids like ATE, Motul, etc. which are also fine.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 03:26 PM   #3
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Everything I have read says it is the same fluid. Check https://newtis.info you may have to create an account but it is very helpful.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 06:31 PM   #4
Msparta
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
Everything I have read says it is the same fluid. Check https://newtis.info you may have to create an account but it is very helpful.
Yes been using newits for a while now, it is a must for all things diy fixes!

I opted to go the route of Castro racing break fluid for my bleed maintenance! I will document possibly when I get it in the coming days… cheers!
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2022, 12:26 AM   #5
Msparta
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Got around to ordering some parts including new super sports plus tires to replace the ones I had… usually do it yearly… anyhow I took advantage and got to the brake fluid replacement procedure - yes all diy with all the right tools. I went with the most expensive Castro srf racing break fluid - I ordered two 1 lt bottles off Amazon which were priced right.

Once I had completed the full flush from rear passenger to right passenger to right front passenger to front driver side I had gone through exactly 2 bottles with enough to top off at the end.

So the end was actually the beginning lol
On the drive back home I had soft brake peddle syndrome and I was incredible stressed since I had done the whole process as documented. So I went back and had my wife pump and floor the brake peddle 3 times each and hold while I bleed each caliper 3 times… I saw this on a YouTube clip and so I figured this would resolve any air in the lines.

To my surprise the last caliper (front driver) had tons of air trapped. The bleed was more like a fountain jet lol

At the end the brake peddle was rock hard and perfect. I ended up ordering a 3rd bottle of the liquid gold to top off one last time … wish they made these smaller lol

Anyhow hope this helps others [IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
HeyKC101.50
      01-06-2022, 04:02 AM   #6
Aliendex
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: M6 F06

I will suggest to use a brake fluid with an higher boiling point, this means an increased in service intervals (these "racing" brake fluids usually last less than conventional oils because they are more hygroscopic) but will perform better due to the fact that CCB go very high in temperature for their optimal braking performance, thus the most critical component is the oil that have to withstand these scenarios, specially on track.

I have personally moved from the OEM DOT4 braking fluid to the Motul DOT4 RBF700, and the brake pedal lasted the entire track session (2 hours) while with the original oil i was not able to achieve nowhere near the same results in just 15 minutes of hot-lap.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 10:21 PM   #7
Msparta
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliendex View Post
I will suggest to use a brake fluid with an higher boiling point, this means an increased in service intervals (these "racing" brake fluids usually last less than conventional oils because they are more hygroscopic) but will perform better due to the fact that CCB go very high in temperature for their optimal braking performance, thus the most critical component is the oil that have to withstand these scenarios, specially on track.

I have personally moved from the OEM DOT4 braking fluid to the Motul DOT4 RBF700, and the brake pedal lasted the entire track session (2 hours) while with the original oil i was not able to achieve nowhere near the same results in just 15 minutes of hot-lap.
I just love burning my money faster then I'm able to make it! Lol
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 12:58 PM   #8
FlyinLowSD
Tinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 640i GC,1994 300ZX MT 2+2

And of course NewTIS had to take above-referenced website down at BMW’s insistence. Anyone know new location/access?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 05:18 PM   #9
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinLowSD View Post
And of course NewTIS had to take above-referenced website down at BMW’s insistence. Anyone know new location/access?
Upper right hand corner on the newtis dot info page is an icon that looks like a person. Click that, create an account and enjoy.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2022, 11:46 AM   #10
danielgmanm6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW ///M6 F13

Garage List
2013 Bmw M6  [0.00]
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMastyr View Post
Should have no impact on the type of brakes. The fluid sits behind the pistons in the calipers and is just meant to provide hydraulic pressure.

Any DOT4 is probably fine for street use. Castrol SRF is top of the line, and folks who track their cars tend to like it as it holds up for a long time and they only need to swap once a season due to the high wet boiling point, but at $60-70/quart is 2-3x the cost of other fluids like ATE, Motul, etc. which are also fine.

After spending thousands to replace CCBs why save money 😆😆
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2022, 03:44 PM   #11
FlyinLowSD
Tinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 640i GC,1994 300ZX MT 2+2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
Upper right hand corner on the newtis dot info page is an icon that looks like a person. Click that, create an account and enjoy.
TinCanSailor
Maybe I need to do this from a PC? I’m only offered to sign in or select forgot password, not register. Suggestions?
Appreciate 0