BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

11-19-2021, 10:50 AM   #155
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM3 View Post
I was thinking of painting my calipers gold too for a pop of colour against my matte black F06...

What paint did you use and how did you prep it? Difficulty rating out of 10??

Looks like you have done a great job - can't wait to see full car photos when its all back together
Oh no, that's not my work. I had them powder coated. I've painted calipers before and they've come out decent, but not comparable to a solid powder coat job. Prismatic Powders allows you to order a ton of different swatches for only like $8 if you choose to go the powder route.

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 09:32 PM   #156
Luftpost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 650 GC, E39’s, X70, X1

Have enjoyed the progress of both cars!....Would really like to see a photo of the powder coated Evo Grey wheels with the Alpine White.

L
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 02:07 PM   #157
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftpost View Post
Have enjoyed the progress of both cars!....Would really like to see a photo of the powder coated Evo Grey wheels with the Alpine White.

L
Thanks, L!

Here's a couple not so great garage photos of the car. Snow decided to come pretty early here so this is the best I can do for now...It should at least give you an idea of the contrast, though. The wheels look slightly lighter in person, but still dark, yet still noticeable that it's not black.

Appreciate 2
      11-29-2021, 02:29 PM   #158
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep

A few more parts made their way to me over the last week or so. German Auto Werks rear diff brace and an Aero Kit from Dinmann (front lip and side skirts). I'm still waiting for my Vorsteiner style diffuser to arrive.

I was a bit unsure if I needed the brace as I didn't have any issues with my last m6, but I'll be running a little more power this go 'round (bigger meth nozzles and e30) so I decided the piece of mind was worth the cost. I probably won't get around to getting this installed until late Winter/early Spring.

I'm loving how the Dinmann aero kit looks. Craftmanship is LEGIT as far as carbon fiber goes. I also love how flat the front lip appears to be. I believe that once it's mounted, it won't sit much lower than the factory plastic "lip" if any. For those wondering, the thicker, more flat part of the lip will be underneath the car. Only the front, more curved part will be exposed. As for the side skirts, they seem to follow the factory rocker panel lines extremely well. Almost making you notice the factory lines even more. This was just my perception when test fitting them.

Hoping I'm able to get the aero kit put on sooner than later. The bumper and skirts need to come off for installation so the company who painted my bumper will be doing the job.

More to come...

Appreciate 2
      11-30-2021, 06:28 AM   #159
Luftpost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 650 GC, E39’s, X70, X1

Thanks for the photos! It is stunning. I have been debating different shades of grey from Prismatic. Certainly am liking the Evo Grey. Don't want black. Even the powder coaters on YouTube say they are tired of doing black.

Did you have any kind of "Clear" top coat put on (Clear Vision) or is the sheen from the Evo Grey alone? I am leaning towards a high gloss.

TIA

L
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 12:50 PM   #160
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftpost View Post
Thanks for the photos! It is stunning. I have been debating different shades of grey from Prismatic. Certainly am liking the Evo Grey. Don't want black. Even the powder coaters on YouTube say they are tired of doing black.

Did you have any kind of "Clear" top coat put on (Clear Vision) or is the sheen from the Evo Grey alone? I am leaning towards a high gloss.

TIA

L
I believe they have a "fog clear" coat on them so that the satin finish look would remain. High gloss would look nice too. What color is your car?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 01:01 PM   #161
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep

I absolutely love how the Dinmann aero kit came out! I had the same shop who painted my bumper do the install since it requires removing the bumper and rockers. --If you attempt to install these without removing the bumper/rockers it will not sit flush at all.

Car was filthy (rain & shop dust) but I probably won't get around to taking quality photos until the Spring so these will have to do.

I also polished the aero kit and coated it with CSL and 5 coats of ExoV4 - overkill, maybe, but I don't like PPF so that's the next best thing.

Still waiting for my diffuser from JL Motoring...

Appreciate 2
      12-08-2021, 01:14 PM   #162
DRKNESSAudiDad
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Audi A6

Hurry up spring as I can’t wait to see this under great conditions. ��
Appreciate 1
Flo1989342.00
      12-09-2021, 08:46 AM   #163
xxTHIR13ENxx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo1989 View Post
Car was filthy (rain & shop dust) but I probably won't get around to taking quality photos until the Spring so these will have to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKNESSAudiDad View Post
Hurry up spring as I can’t wait to see this under great conditions. ��
His "filthy" car looks cleaner than my "washed" car.
- Leo.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 11:36 AM   #164
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxTHIR13ENxx View Post
His "filthy" car looks cleaner than my "washed" car.
- Leo.
Haha the photo is misleading, believe me.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 02:48 PM   #165
Karter_Brazy
Eurosteps
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F06 / MB W212 / BMW F48

Quote:
I absolutely love how the Dinmann aero kit came out! I had the same shop who painted my bumper do the install since it requires removing the bumper and rockers. --If you attempt to install these without removing the bumper/rockers it will not sit flush at all.

I also polished the aero kit and coated it with CSL and 5 coats of ExoV4 - overkill, maybe, but I don't like PPF so that's the next best thing.

Still waiting for my diffuser from JL Motoring...

It looks good Flo. Your car is coming along nicely.
Appreciate 1
Flo1989342.00
      12-15-2021, 09:43 AM   #166
machareus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '15 F06 M6 CP, '21 Alpina XB7

This has been one of my favorite threads

And hopefully it's been enough time now to say...it's kind of awesome that we get to have it twice.

Looking forward to more posts!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 12:00 PM   #167
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by machareus View Post
This has been one of my favorite threads

And hopefully it's been enough time now to say...it's kind of awesome that we get to have it twice.

Looking forward to more posts!
Haha, I'm good now. Enjoying how this one is starting to look visually over the last.

More to come...Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2022, 01:51 PM   #168
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep

(My post copied from the rear diff brace thread)

Originally I didn't plan on getting my GAW rear diff brace installed until Spring but I lucked up and was able to sneak the car out on a 40 degree clear day here in NE Ohio. I reiterated to my local shop how important it was to follow the instructions, specifically the TQ specs. I even gave them GAW phone number in case they ran into any issues with the install.

Two hours later I get a call that the brace is mounted and with zero issues. I pick the car up and immediately go for a drive (25 miles in total) to listen for the potential differential whine. And what do I hear? Absolutely nothing. Nothing different whatsoever. Radio off, windows up, down, city driving, highway speeds (up to 130mph) and no diff whine noise at all. Now I want to mention that my M6 is catless with Meistershafts SGT system and Project Gamma intakes. So it's not necessarily quiet in the cabin to begin with. So for you stock guys, you may or may not hear anything. But I can't imagine it would be loud. And if so, I'd say its one of two things based on these diff threads and convo's with GAW; 1. Improper install or 2. High differential wear. In my case, my car only has 25k miles in which 24.5k were stock and the car was not abused. So that's something to consider as well. I honestly don't even hear the "clunk" some reported from P to D. I don't think I'm going deaf? My ears are still relatively young at 32, lol. One thing I did notice, which for me was a bonus, was that the shifts feel slightly more aggressive and firm. This was only noticeable on WOT while in Sport+ and shift level 3, though.

So as I'm sure you've imagined, no complaints with the brace & I would recommend it to anyone in the market.

Lowered cars with CF aero kits are fun until it's time to get it on a lift

Appreciate 4
HeyKC101.50
ind_can98.00
      01-05-2022, 02:35 PM   #169
HeyKC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 CP

Good to hear. Guess I need to keep the dif brace on my short list of things to buy.
Appreciate 1
Flo1989342.00
      01-17-2022, 03:05 PM   #170
Mhaus
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Thanks, L!

Here's a couple not so great garage photos of the car. Snow decided to come pretty early here so this is the best I can do for now...It should at least give you an idea of the contrast, though. The wheels look slightly lighter in person, but still dark, yet still noticeable that it's not black.

A bit off topic but are those painted front bumper reflectors just held on by double sided tape? Im looking in to doing mine and would prefer not to break anything lol Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 07:08 PM   #171
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhaus View Post
A bit off topic but are those painted front bumper reflectors just held on by double sided tape? Im looking in to doing mine and would prefer not to break anything lol Thanks!!
I’m honestly not sure, man. On both of my M6’s I had the bumpers repainted and had the OEM reflectors painted at the same time so I never had to deal with swapping them out. I think there’s a DIY thread here somewhere that outlines it step-by-step.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 11:14 PM   #172
arucano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Grand Coupe CP

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
You can CAREFULLY use a hair dryer to soften the bonding a little. Do not try to do it in cold temperatures or it is likely to break. Use some tape around the reflector area to reduce the heat on the surrounding paint.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 07:42 AM   #173
xxTHIR13ENxx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhaus View Post
Yeah, they're just double-sided tape.
https://ind-distribution.com/product...-reflector-set

Here's a how-to:
VIDEO LINK
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 03:17 PM   #174
Mhaus
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxTHIR13ENxx View Post
Yeah, they're just double-sided tape.
https://ind-distribution.com/product...-reflector-set

Here's a how-to:
VIDEO LINK
thank you guys I wasnt sure if the f30 was the same as our f13 but it looks like it 👍🏼
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 11:31 AM   #175
Vito_ZWorks
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 M6 Competition

Quote:
Oh no, that's not my work. I had them powder coated. I've painted calipers before and they've come out decent, but not comparable to a solid powder coat job. Prismatic Powders allows you to order a ton of different swatches for only like $8 if you choose to go the powder route.

which color did you end up choosing? Would love to do the same
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 10:20 AM   #176
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito_ZWorks View Post
which color did you end up choosing? Would love to do the same
I went with Prismatic Gold. A lot of good choices, though. You can see more pics of it on post #146.
Appreciate 0