BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

05-17-2019, 08:10 AM   #1
itsmorich
Germany
Rep
Drives: 1993 E36 316i Coupe, Hellrot

Garage List
Advice on purchasing a new M6 GC

Hey guys, I am currently in the market for an M6 GC and I would love to get some advice on what to look out for. I am aware that buying a used M car can be quite risky.

Is there anything I have to look out for on the engine or transmission?

How is servicing compared to a normal BMW?

And when did BMW introduce ID6 officially on the M6 GC? That is something really important to me.

Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 09:37 AM   #2
Havy
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Hi there,
Did you mean the NBT, or even NBT EVO?
NBT was introduced in 2013 and the EVO in 2016. If you want the ID 6 than the other questions above are meaningless. You can’t make a mistake if you buy a 2016 M6 from an authorized dealer. Look for low km.
CCB - nice to to have but not for me
CP-Jep
M- performance exhaust (Akra) for sure
Soft close ?? Not for me
Surround view- jep
Color in and out - up to you
All other nannies- up to you.
But that are just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 09:55 AM   #3
Superfluous
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran Coupe

Since barely anything was changed since inception of the new M6, I ended up going for a 2014 as they were much cheaper. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only thing that has changed is iDrive and the headlights a bit. Ended up buying a 2014 M6 GC with 30k miles for about $45k from a local BMW dealer. I figured the savings on an older car were worth the risk.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 10:17 AM   #4
Jeffxxx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 bmw m6 GC competition

I ended up with a 2015 M6 GC fully optioned with the competition package. 27k miles. I haven’t owned it long enough to say anything about the engine or transmission. But I have come across a few posts where engines have been replaced. The transmission seems to be fine, but if you are planning on increasing power there is always an increase in risk associated with the engine and transmission.

But from my own personal experience I am in the middle of having the A/C evaporator replaced at the dealer which is a $3700 repair at retail cost. I’ve already spent $370 for a drain and fill to try and identify if there was a leak and the dealership couldn’t find it anywhere. So their next assumption is the evaporator which is buried in the dash. Luckily BMW USA agreed to cover 80 percent of the cost of the repair. The overall situation has been an absolute pain to deal with.

So my advice is to find something with a warranty and/or get a really thorough pre purchase inspection along with reviewing the maintenance history on the vehicle.

Last edited by Jeffxxx; 05-17-2019 at 10:29 AM..
Appreciate 1
cfm56d7b5876.00
      05-18-2019, 07:48 PM   #5
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffxxx View Post
I ended up with a 2015 M6 GC fully optioned with the competition package. 27k miles. I haven’t owned it long enough to say anything about the engine or transmission. But I have come across a few posts where engines have been replaced. The transmission seems to be fine, but if you are planning on increasing power there is always an increase in risk associated with the engine and transmission.

But from my own personal experience I am in the middle of having the A/C evaporator replaced at the dealer which is a $3700 repair at retail cost. I’ve already spent $370 for a drain and fill to try and identify if there was a leak and the dealership couldn’t find it anywhere. So their next assumption is the evaporator which is buried in the dash. Luckily BMW USA agreed to cover 80 percent of the cost of the repair. The overall situation has been an absolute pain to deal with.

So my advice is to find something with a warranty and/or get a really thorough pre purchase inspection along with reviewing the maintenance history on the vehicle.
Warranty is an essential add on if buying a used M6. Considering the depreciation savings and the risk of future expenses, the cost of an extended warranty is within reason.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 11:36 PM   #6
dclin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: FD3S

Don't get CCB. I thought i wanted it, but the intermittent squealing can get unbearable. You can tame it temporarily by pressure washing the brakes, but the squealing comes back after a few drives.

The only saving grace is that the gold calipers are so sexy. RacingBrake.com makes an iron 2 piece rotor retrofit, but I don't think anybody here has tried it. For now, I have my pressure washer on standby.
Appreciate 0