BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      04-15-2019, 05:05 PM   #1
SixteenM6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 Grand Coupe

A/C question

Is there any setting that can prevent the A/C from turning on every time I start the car?

I looked into all options buried in the iDrive system and I even cleared all personal profiles to start fresh, but the A/C never STAYS off after I shut if off and restart the car next morning or after a few hours. I've noticed it doesn't forget to stay off if I start the car again after just 20 min or so.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 05:08 PM   #2
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixteenM6 View Post
Is there any setting that can prevent the A/C from turning on every time I start the car?

I looked into all options buried in the iDrive system and I even cleared all personal profiles to start fresh, but the A/C never STAYS off after I shut if off and restart the car next morning or after a few hours. I've noticed it doesn't forget to stay off if I start the car again after just 20 min or so.
Coding, or go to the dealer and complain. They should be able to do that for you. Same with the auto Start/Stop, the dealer can make that stay off unless you push the button to turn it on.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 05:13 PM   #3
SixteenM6
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalM6GC View Post
Coding, or go to the dealer and complain. They should be able to do that for you. Same with the auto Start/Stop, the dealer can make that stay off unless you push the button to turn it on.
Oh, makes sense. Actually in my car the start/stop stays off all the time, and I like that. Seems like there is a tool for coding out there for the end user, carly I believe.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 08:48 PM   #4
K7
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW 340i|18' BMW 650i

Quote:

I second this. I find it so annoying when the climate control turns on with the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 12:16 AM   #5
DRKNTM6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6

Even if you press the button to turn the "auto" off?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 02:12 AM   #6
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Must have auto on. Doesn't turn on for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 09:06 AM   #7
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by m34josh View Post
Even if you press the button to turn the "auto" off?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Must have auto on. Doesn't turn on for me.
I think the complaints in this thread are coming from owners that purchased a car that has an IHKA (automatic climate control system) vs the standard IHKR (manual climate control system)...that turns itself ON in most situations.

I may be wrong (but I doubt it in this case)...but I think the complaints have nothing to do with the AUTO button being on (which is for automatic air distribution and blower speed control)...but more about that the HVAC system turns itself own even after they have completely turned it off when the car is restarted at a later time. The system will stay off as long as you restart the car before it has gone into SLEEP mode (which usually takes approx 16 minutes without any calls on the communication bus system).

Unfortunately for owners that have this complaint...unless you can find coding software...the system will usually turn itself back on because that's the way it was designed. There are interior recirculation filters (micro/pollen filters) that are incorporated in its design...so the system turns itself back on...at the LOWEST fan speed setting...when the system has been turned completely off...then the car restarted at a later time.

People with allergies probably don't complain...or owners that don't have an issue with pressing the FAN speed button to turn the system back off...if they still want the system shut down completely.

BTW, I've been reading this same complaint since the mid 1990s (e38/e39 era) that had the IHKA set-up.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
K737.50
      04-19-2019, 11:58 PM   #8
SixteenM6
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yes, you explained it correctly above. I've acquired the carly coding tool and I'll solve this problem. I want it to remember the setting I determine, which is usually off.

Another question I have is if there is any way to choose shuffle of the songs in the library without having to dig through endless iDrive levels. Man, these Germans can't make things simple to save their lives... No shuffle button or touchscreen anywhere lol -- My RAM truck has a big easy access shuffle touch screen button right there...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 12:03 PM   #9
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Another question I have is if there is any way to choose shuffle of the songs in the library without having to dig through endless iDrive levels.
To be honest...I don't know exactly...only because I've never even looked for a shuffle feature. I just listen to what ever am/fm/satellite station I've selected...or the tracks I've uploaded to the HD (which is rare now...I usually just listen to the satellite stations).

But if there is an iDrive page that allows for selecting shuffle...you can easily program one of the 8 programmable preset buttons to take you directly to that page that has shuffle on it...BOOM!...anytime you want to shuffle...its just one button press and possibly a few turns of the iDrive controller if the shuffle selection won't program directly. (I say that because sometimes you can only save the screen in iDrive...but sometimes you can can save down to the exact thing you want.)

So is there a SHUFFLE selection in iDrive?

For example, I have the programmable preset button #1 programmed to take me to all of my radio presets (am/fm/satellite)...and from that preset screen I can scroll down to any radio station that I've saved (and I saved them in the order I'm most likely to listen to them). This allows me to skip pressing the RADIO button next to the iDrive controller...then scrolling down to PRESETS...then pressing the controller button to bring the screen up.:
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 10:10 PM   #10
SixteenM6
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post

So is there a SHUFFLE selection in iDrive?
Yes, I found the function. It's buried in there and called "random". I know about the memorizing menus in the 1 through 8 keys, and I have done that, it helps somewhat.

I do like the HD because I've transferred some folders from my iTunes library to a USB drive (has to be formated in FAT32) and the car understood the folders and files and transferred everything to the HD without problems. With the the shuffle (random) function, it's perfect, I turn the sound system on and instantly my library starts playing. No blue tooth lag, etc...

The good news is that the sound system remembers my choices, so once it's on random, it stays like that
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 02:10 PM   #11
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I found the function. It's buried in there and called "random". ...The good news is that the sound system remembers my choices, so once it's on random, it stays like that
That is good news. My other BMWs (older) do not keep the shuffle/random option in memory. That's good to know. Thanks for updating the thread with this tidbit.

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 07:14 PM   #12
SixteenM6
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
That is good news. My other BMWs (older) do not keep the shuffle/random option in memory. That's good to know. Thanks for updating the thread with this tidbit.
You're welcome and also I've received my Carly adapter and was able to FINALLY turn on the flag "memorize off function" under the A/C codes. It's one single stupid flag that for some reason is turned off by default.

Now when I turn the A/C off, it stays off forever until I turn it back on again.

The "knowledgeable" service advisor at the BMW dealer said there was "no way" to change that and he had several customers asking about it. 🤔
Appreciate 0